Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 am 
I still have to work to pedal, even with a motor. You really should ride a few e-bikes. Then you'll realize that it still takes work to pedal them, IF you want to go a longer distance. I was getting about 7mph in an nasty headwind on the Conconully trip, on flat ground. I did not want to crank up the power as I wanted to go on a longish ride. I rode that stretch on the Tour setting, which is up on step from Eco mode. And yes, my bike is a sit upright bike, and yes, it does blow around. I also don't like not hearing cars approaching. Studded tires that are still on cars help in that respect, but I like to hear things coming up from behind. The mirror helps quite a bit also. Today the wind is again out of the north and is a cold one. I just got back from a walk and my ears are a bit chilly. Don't know if I'll bike today.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 7:52 pm 
For what it's worth, Garmin's Varia radar is on sale, and it's excellent. Even when it's completely silent, the radar knows there's a car behind you before you can hear it. It will tell you how many cars are behind and how they're spaced, and it flashes at drivers to make sure they see you. There are two kinds of riders: those who love rear view radar, and those who haven't tried it.

neek

neek
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 7:58 pm 
Interesting concept... but I'll stick with my cheap dorky mirror. And continue not wearing earbuds.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 8:23 pm 
Hmmm. Looks like it works with Wahoo units too.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Apr 04, 2020 8:26 pm 
Today's grocery getter
Today's grocery getter

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 9:51 am 
neek wrote:
Interesting concept... but I'll stick with my cheap dorky mirror. And continue not wearing earbuds.
Riverside Laker wrote:
Hmmm. Looks like it works with Wahoo units too.
I've heard that on top of all the magic ensuring you and drivers know about each other, that the v2 radar is one of the best tail lights on the market. I had the v1 and it was fantastic as radar, but dim. I'm feeling like I sounds get one before it goes back up to full price. I don't ride with a bike computer anymore though. The radar can use my wrist watch as a display, and even make it vibrate when there's a car behind. I'm wondering if this is enough to really be useful. In the city, the best part of the radar is being able to glance down and see how the cars behind you are spaced out (when to turn or merge). You still have to look behind you before you do anything, but up until then you can keep your eyes forward. The watch can display all that, but you can't see it from the riding position. I don't like mirrors, the vibration makes them harder to use, and my eyes aren't 20 yo anymore. (Plus, ahem, clean lines on the bike.) Rumor mill says it's heavily discounted because Garmin needs to raise money, not because there's a v3 coming out. Thoughts?

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 6:02 pm 
No idea why Garmin is discounting, but I odored one. Occasionally they discount stuff, but not that often. Maybe with all the stuff going on, orders have dropped. I have a dorky mirror on my glasses. I don't have a 20 y.o. neck any more. Your statement about two kinds of people -- right out of DC Rainmaker's review!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 4:56 am 
Tom wrote:
Today's grocery getter
Today's grocery getter
Where's that rack Mr.?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 1:12 pm 
I weaved the bag on the front handlebars. Worked great.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 8:54 am 
Im going to take my nephew up the Kendall lakes road this summer to get a jump on the PCT and the Katwalk. He's looking forward to it. Might jump on down to Edds lake while we're there.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 am 
Rotor makes eBike cranks now, in 1x and 2x. I think only round ones, but I don't think oval rings have been shown to do anything, except anecdotally. You can get one in alloy or carbon. Not clear, but it sounds like you can use a semi-affordable power meter with them. So FSA and no name stuff aren't the only choices anymore. I have Rotor Rings and 3D+ cranks on my Cervelo, like them a lot. They don't shift quite as well as good Shimano rings, but the difference is small. The cranks are light and stiff. https://cyclingtips.com/2020/04/rotor-reveals-new-1x13-tt-group-carbon-cranks-and-budget-friendly-power-meter/ (Scroll about halfway down.)

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 7:40 am 
Tom wrote:
Today's grocery getter
Today's grocery getter
It's great, isn't it? I just have a hard time at some stores, which I quit biking to, finding places to lock up to. Bike racks, and even light poles are scarce here. I wheel it into the North 40 store and just lock the built in lock. The same for Home Depot. Home Depot has a bike rack but usually has it blocked by displays. Go figure. Here's my home made "pan yers". They are intended for around town shopping and stuff.
The fabric was found at the local Wal Marche, and the hardware at the local North 40 store. My bike came with a rack and fenders. I think the rack is good for up to 35 pounds.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 12:56 pm 
Don't know if it's been posted but NPS has a 60 day comment period regarding e bikes. It can be found here. https://www.nps.gov/subjects/biking/e-bikes.htm

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 10, 2020 4:42 pm 
Now that it's getting warm, are you folks noticing how nice it is to have a constant breeze while you ride?

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Apr 10, 2020 4:48 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Now that it's getting warm, are you folks noticing how nice it is to have a constant breeze while you ride?
Yes depending on circumstances. If I'm going uphill I want nothing to do with any breeze other than one behind me 🤣. But beyond that I've been enjoying it. I ran hill repeats today (on foot) had a good breeze jogging my downhill and it was perfect.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.