Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Covid Home Improvements
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 11:16 am 
What are you doing now that you have time on your hands? Been using my time to implement the observations/recommendations of our local fire amelioration experts by clearing my land to remove ground debris and branches as high as I can reach with the saw. I had them come out last year and do a fire audit of the property and this was their recommendation which I never thought I'd have the time or energy to actually fulfill. Well, that changed! My sharpening skills suck and this gizmo looks like the ticket. Ordered one this morning.
I've got three acres and have about 3/4 of one cleared after a week of work every day. I need to get the jump on it anyway because the seasonal fire closures will happen at some point. It's amazing how much volume of limbs there are on ponderosas and oaks. I've cut, cleared, hauled and burned at least 12-15 truckloads of stuff so far. Good replacement for closed gym, I was pretty burned out after cycling through 4 loads on Saturday. It's handy that I can see the burn pile from where I'm working, I can just keep going while keeping an eye on it, and it eats a load in the time it takes to re load the truck. When the clearing is done I'll start on the yard proper, the place will probably look better by the end of this situation than it ever has. Following that, new flooring for the kitchen.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 12:15 pm 
I have a few projects going on. I'm planting summer and fall stuff in my garden. On a related note, I'm trying to teach my cat to chase off the squirrel that keeps digging my bulbs up. mad.gif Also planning to turn some old rope into a couple baskets.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 12:50 pm 
I'm cutting up an old hot tub. It's going slowly because I recently had my hip replaced and have restricted positions I can be in.

neek

neek
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 pm 
Working on some important backyard projects today, like my tan.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 3:17 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I'm cutting up an old hot tub. It's going slowly because I recently had my hip replaced and have restricted positions I can be in.
chainsaw, sawzall? Good luck with the replacement parts, hope they're working out.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 8:52 am 
Building Virginia Class Nuclear powered (and the first Columbia Class Ohio replacement) submarines for General Dynamics and Electric Boat.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 8:57 am 
You do that from home? Should be able to see you from i90 then!

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 9:48 am 
That's a pretty cool sharpener. I have been using a flex shaft dremel with a diamond tip.not nearly as precise. One of the many things I've done is sharpen and fire up the saw. Cut a 3 foot tall round from 70 year old fir. Pressure washed the bark off, and mounted my bench grinder on top. Currently trying to burn stump from said tree with 5 others. Could take several more months.

Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 10:07 am 
I burned out some stumps using an electric fan for increased airflow at the bed of fire. Took awhile to figure out. By the last one start to finish was 4 days.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 10:29 am 
Good idea! I have a small squirrel cage that would be perfect. I usually use my leaf blower to get it started.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 10:39 am 
Getting some good dust bunnies and tending to the yard.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm 
RichP wrote:
Getting some good dust bunnies and tending to the yard.
Be careful with those dust bunnies, Rich!
The Outer Limits 1x11 - It Crawled Out of the Woodwork https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ojizx

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 pm 
Free hand chain filing just takes practice. It isn't really rocket science. Just get a good file handle and a flat file. I even mark my chain with a sharpie where I start on it and every few sharpenings I give the rakers a couple of hits with the flat file. That's all there is to it. Let me see, I have been puttering around the yard some, getting veggies growing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 5:30 pm 
I hear that's all there is to it, and no matter what I do it won't cut straight. I know I'm not getting the angle identical from both sides and I can't tell how, I try to pay attention and every time, there it goes curving.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 6:42 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Maybe you can't. I used a sledgehammer. I tried cutting with a saw and I failed. Sledgehammer worked great through the fiberglass.

Art is an adventure.