Forum Index > Trip Reports > New Trail on Squak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm 
Went on a hike this morning from our house this morning. Approx 8 mi round trip 1400’ gain. Would put this in the lazy report topic but due to lack of reports lately I thought a few might be interested. The trail is sekret for a while so there are no pix or details. Left the house and hiked up Wildwood to the Mountainside Trailhead road had not been plowed and was covered in 3 - 4” snow. When we arrived at trailhead there were no tracks so we headed up Bullet Fireplace Trail to where new Trail took off. Trail is quite nice with stringer bridges across larger creeks and traverses threw large firs and hemlocks on a gentle grade. With a foot of snow more would make a fin XC or snowshoe trail. Trail climbers to ear the end of Margaret’s Way and spur to Debbie’s View. At top maybe 8” snow. Returned vis Bullet Fireplace Trail to snowplows and an additional 2” snow for total of 5”. This will be my preferred North access to the summit area. Saw nobody except one family on Bullit Fireplace Trail.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 5:41 pm 
The new trail is a replacement/re-route of the Chybinski loop trail. WTA has been working on it for ~4 years. As I understand it, the old trail won't be decommissioned, it just won't see much in the way of regular maintenance.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 pm 
Good to know. Might try it out this weekend.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 pm 
I have known about the trail for 4 years and have been on several work parties. It is pretty much finished now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
nordique

nordique
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:26 pm 
Have hiked this trail several times, using one crutch, with my group. Photos from most recent visit: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJMqgbj A beautiful new trail!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 pm 
Even better now, we pushed through and graded the connection to Margrets Way on Thursday.

nordique

nordique
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:03 am 
Thanks for such a great new trail!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:54 am 
I was just a digger, thanks to WTA, Greenway, and King County. up.gif

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:44 pm 
yes! i have been hiking/running this for a while and today noticed the highest elevation bit was finally completed (ive been doing a little minor ‘schwacking at the top). its great they finally had the chance to finish, i suspect last winter’s weather caused a significant delay because progress halted at the second bridge for months. conditions were very pleasant for running above about 1500 elevation and mushy below, although i'm sure conditions will change soon. but, here at 1300 feet in high valley (home) it’s snowing gently again.

RichP

RichP
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 10:34 pm 
Checked it out today. Nice. Only a few inches of slush on Central Peak.

crock

crock
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 am 
The new Chybinski Trail is nice; well designed and built. But what was wrong with the old one?

nordique

nordique
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 11:56 am 
Lots of water down the old trail turned it into a very rocky path. Some of it was old road bed. The new trail is SO nice!

HomeBoy

HomeBoy
PostMon Apr 13, 2020 6:20 pm 
Although there is no signage forbidding the old trai's use, the old trail has now been closed off with logs and replanted sword ferns blocking about 30 meters of it at both the top and bottom. It's unclear to me why they did this. It seems having both old and new trails available would cause more dispersal of hikers and thus a greater illusion of wild land. The only rationale that I can imagine for closing the old trail (built on a road bed) was to create a larger undisturbed habitat for wildlife. But I haven't seen this given as an explanation anywhere. For that matter, I have seen no explanations for this decision anywhere.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 13, 2020 8:04 pm 
We worked on the new trail, at that time we were told the old trail was eroding. I have seen the erosion and it was minor and occurred every couple years or so when a big rain scoured the trail down a few inches. Several years ago a portion of the bullitt fireplace trail was washed out when a stream changed course. It was fixed by replacing a culvert and has not been a problem since. We complained to the county person who was leading the trail Work party. We then wrote the county complaining and saying the old trail was unique because of the views on the flat portion. mad.gif

nordique

nordique
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 7:25 am 
Can't you continue to hike on the old trail?