Forum Index > Gear Talk > Recommended apps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 pm 
Since we're all sitting at home with too much time on our hands, wishing we were in the mountains, one of my projects is to find some phone apps that will be useful or enjoyable on the trail or in camp. So I'm going to post things that look interesting, and hope other people share apps they like. There's already a navigation app thread so this is for everything but navigation. I've only tried some of these in my living room, so I'm only saying some of them are worth taking a look at. Daff Moon Phase - Calendar of moon phases, rise and set times, sunset and twikight times, etc. PlantNet Identification - What plant is this? from your phone camera. Trees PNW - What tree am I looking at? Mushrooms App - What mushroom am I looking at? Shroomify - What mushroom am I looking at? BirdNET - What bird am I looking at? Identification by sound not visually. NightShift - Weather, cloud cover, and darkness predictions to find the right time to go look up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 pm 
To each their own of course. I don't use my phone much except for navigation and photos.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 4:02 pm 
All on iPhone Peak Finder - Names of hills and peaks in view Tide Graph - Easy to set for local area in the Puget Sound. Handy for Kayaking. Planets - Identity Location of Planets and Stars / Constellations Topo Maps & Gaia GPS - separate recent thread Half Mile PCT and Guthooks ( PCT section hikes) Nikon Snap Bridge and Lightroom

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 7:30 pm 
Any good apps for air pressure and temperature?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 8:24 pm 
I use the Washington Wildflowers app a lot. Peak Finder was already mentioned. Sky Guide for star gazing. (There are lots of competing apps and I don't know which is best. And I use GaiaGPS for navigation and Tide Graph for tides.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed May 20, 2020 12:04 pm 
Questions: -- Do the mushroom apps not only ID the mushrooms as best as possible, but warn about potentially toxic lookalike mushrooms or the absence of lookalikes? -- Do they provide tests you can do to verify the ID of the mushroom? I love wild mushrooms, but worry about misidentifying them!

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed May 20, 2020 4:12 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Questions: -- Do the mushroom apps not only ID the mushrooms as best as possible, but warn about potentially toxic lookalike mushrooms or the absence of lookalikes? -- Do they provide tests you can do to verify the ID of the mushroom? I love wild mushrooms, but worry about misidentifying them!
I'd like to know about that as well. I typically leave them alone even when I am very certain what I am looking at.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
WanderingGemini

WanderingGemini
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 12:24 pm 
Here are some of my favorite apps: -AllTrails: This has pretty much every trail around the world, not just Washington. It has accurate directions and it outlines the path of the trail in red and alerts you when you are off route. You can also browse through hikes and save them to lists for the future! -TrailBlazer: Every one probably knows about this app, but this is very similar to AllTrails and is just the app for WTA. -PeakVisor: This app is so cool! You just aim your phone at mountain peaks and it shows you the name of them. -GaiaGPS: A reliable GPS app. -EarthMate: If you have a Garmin, this is the app that you can download and connect to it.

Madison Pretlow
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 12:49 pm 
Blue Letter Bible: for bedtime reading. Off Switch: for the rest of the trip.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 2:10 pm 
I've found the following app to be fairly useful: GaiaGPS for ski, hiking and climbing trips -- be sure to plan ahead and download maps for the destination ahead of time. RideWithGPS -- for planning, navigating and tracking bike rides on both paved roads, dirt roads and trails. iOverlander -- Really useful for #Vanlife -- includes a offline database with basic information so even if there is no signal out in the boondocks you can still find campsites, dumpsites, fresh water sources, etc. Crowd sourced information so when a camping area gets too popular or abused you find out in a timely manner.