Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2oooth Peak Milestone
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 pm 
1-22 Adalac Benchmark – 5715' The standard approach for Adalac comes from the east. The problem is that the road to the standard is really bad sand and many folks have had close calls getting stuck over there. Because of that, I wanted to explore a longer western approach with a much better road, hoping that once established, a new route might be used by more people.
We drove past the new solar farm and then parked below a big west canyon in the Lucy Gray mountains. We ascended the alluvial fan and entered the canyon, which was pleasant for travel. 3 miles from the car, we turned southeast at a fork. At the second fork we ascended the rib in-between. Ascending traverse southward and then minor class 3 on the final east ridge of the peak.
Adalac
Adalac
From the summit, we saw Calada Peak a mile to the north. We decided to get that one too.
Clark
Clark
New York
New York
Calada Peak – 5640' From Adalac, we descended the same route to 4500 feet and then traversed north. It might have been easier if we had dropped further. We then ascended the southwest drainage to this bonus peak.
Calada
Calada
Adalac
Adalac
McCullough
McCullough
1-23 Peak 1620 This craggy little peak is right next to the highway. Various route info is available, but we wanted to explore a shorter route in the southeast gully. Because of the presence of dryfalls, we had no idea if it would work. As it turned out, the main dryfall has an easy work-around.
Greenwood Peak – 4339' Greenwood is an attractive sight from Highway 93. I have been looking at it for several years now, but only recently discovered a very good dirt road which passes near the south side of the peak. This road could be driven by any sort of vehicle in the current condition.
cholla
cholla
Greewood
Greewood
The long south ridge has numerous humps. We traversed around the east side of the first few of these before gaining the crest. Cactus is very thick in this region. There were a few cholla patches which required special care.
As we came closer to the peak, the final scramble looked doubtful. Consulting the map didn’t provide any obvious alternatives. However, as we came face to face with the final 50 feet, there was an easy way around the northeast side.
Artillery Peak
Artillery Peak
hare
hare
burro
burro
1-24 Lech Benchmark – 1169' We met up with Matthias in Phoenix and he drove us to the Cabeza Prieta. The first peak was small, but a lot of fun. This type of granite looks great and is fun to walk on. It would be nice to spend a lot more time exploring this area further. Hopefully!
Peak 1620 We had some extra time, so we bagged another peak near Cipriano Pass. Several northwest draws offer easy access to the upper north ridge. Steep with minor fun scrambling.
Peak 1620
Peak 1620
That night we met up with Andy Martin at Tule Well. It’s been 6 years since the last time I hiked with Andy, and it was good to see him again. 1-25 Tule Benchmark – 2307' We entered a northeast canyon and then turned south to reach the upper mountain. Genuine class 3 in this canyon. Higher up there was a short but steep loose slope below the final east ridge.
Tule Benchmark
Tule Benchmark
The Mexican border is only a mile away from the summit. We could see some nice looking peaks in the Sierra el Choclo Duro. We could also see the brownish summit of Cabeza Prieta Peak which we would do the following day, and the more whitish Cabeza Benchmark, which Frances and I climbed very recently.
Sierra el Choclo Duro
Sierra el Choclo Duro
Cabeza Prieta Peak and Cabeza Benchmark
Cabeza Prieta Peak and Cabeza Benchmark
Sierra Arida Peak – 1760' Approaching from the northwest, we followed the notes of Richard Carey, entering a western draw and then traversing the northwest ridge all the way from Point 1702. We didn’t really this ridge which is a bit loose and slightly exposed.
Sierra Arida
Sierra Arida
Cerro del Pinacate
Cerro del Pinacate
For the return trip we agreed to try a less direct but hopefully more pleasant route. We descended the canyon immediately west of the summit and then went over a few small passes to reach the lower flats. We did like this route better.
1-26 Cabeza Prieta Peak – 2559' Extremely remote and seldom ascended, Cabeza Prieta Peak is one of the hidden gems of southern Arizona. We crossed 4 miles of open flats to reach the lower south volcanic boulder slopes of the peak.
Cabeza Prieta Peak
Cabeza Prieta Peak
Crossing a gully, we went over a saddle at 1870 feet on the southeast ridge and then traversed into the white gully that runs up alongside the east side of the peak. This gully is flaky large grain granite.
Matthias, Frances and I scrambled up a short dryfall and then went straight up loose rock to finish with class 3 on the upper northeast ridge. Andy explored more carefully and found a better way, traversing some on the north side and we used this variation for the descent.
Pinta
Pinta
2000 ::)
2000 smile.gif
1-27 Picketpost Mountain – 4375' For our last hike on the way home to pack for Africa, Frances and I stopped for a popular hike in the Phoenix area. It was slightly crowded, and over-cairned, but still fun. Lot’s of big walls on this peak. I could see Weaver’s Needle to the north, a peak I look forward to.
Please note that there’s a difference between 2000th ascent and 2000th unique summit, because of repeats and failed attempts. My 2000th ascent was actually the first hike I ever did with Frances, about a year ago.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 12:51 pm 
super cute jackrabbit!

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostFri Apr 10, 2020 7:58 pm 
That's a lot of peaks, Congrats!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Apr 10, 2020 8:30 pm 
Congrats on that. It shows a lot of dedication and perseverance.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSat Apr 11, 2020 7:16 am 
Nice work. That's a lot of peaks.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSat Apr 11, 2020 5:17 pm 
Congrats Adam! You're possessed smile.gif