Forum Index > Gear Talk > Does DWR degrade over time (if not used)?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm 
Suppose you buy a clearance jacket with good factory DWR and hang it in the closet for 2 or 3 years until your current one is really beat up. Is the water repellency going to work well when you bring it into service? I ask because the factory coat always seems to work better than reapplying it at home, and because I know abrasion is the enemy. All things are temporary, but I'm wondering about the span of a few years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Mar 30, 2020 12:09 pm 
In my experience, DWR jumps at every opportunity to degrade. smile.gif I don't know the answer to your question, but it is an interesting one.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 9:48 am 
They really shouldn't call it durable WR. Wound up not getting a spare. Many years ago I had a jacket that was perfect for me and bought a spare when it was discontinued, then I started aging and needing a little more warmth. Didn't want to go through that again. I wish our bodies were more durable too! smile.gif

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 10:12 am 
I don't know the answer to your question, either. And I also think it is a good one. But I can tell you about shoes. They do not last in storage. The glues dry out and the rubber degrades. I have very difficult to fit feet so it seemed to make sense to buy some extras of shoes that fit when they went on sale. I decided to break out the final pair so I'd have new shoes for my daughter's high school graduation. She was valedictorian, so clean, new shoes seemed like a good idea. After we were seated in the gym I discovered that the soles of the shoes were disintegrating. I left a black trail of rubber wherever I walked and there was basically nothing left of them by the time I got home. And they weren't even all that old. The worst part about that story is that some years previous I had done the same thing with some hiking boots that promptly fell apart because the glue had all dried out. So I should have known better.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Mar 31, 2020 10:15 am 
I do not know the answer either, but here's what I did: LINK After RE-treating the parka and the anorak, the water repellancy on the nylon parka lasted for several months. I didn't wear the anorak enough to really be able to make a call one way or the other. YMMV

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 9:24 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Suppose you buy a clearance jacket with good factory DWR and hang it in the closet for 2 or 3 years until your current one is really beat up. Is the water repellency going to work well when you bring it into service?
So-called durable water repellant (DWR) is not durable. It will wear off after about a year, on average. I posted before about my recent experience with a new Marmot Precip. A "Precip" is a rain jacket, right? Precipitation. It worked fine when new. But after a year, the slightest drizzle soaked right through. It's been demoted to a town jacket, for fair weather days and nights only. Get a true rain jacket or something like the Patagonia Galvanized, which combines the best of both worlds.