Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > U.S. Department of the Interior proposes expanding hunting and fishing opportunities
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 2:50 pm 
The U.S. Department of the Interior announced the proposal Wednesday, which would expand hunting and fishing opportunities on more than 2.3 million acres of public recreation lands across the country, by opening up 97 national wildlife refuges and nine fish hatcheries. In Washington: Abernathy Fish Technology Center: Open sport fishing for the first time Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery: Open migratory bird, upland game and big game hunting for the first time. Little White Salmon National Fish Hatchery: Open migratory bird hunting (crow), upland game hunting (grouse, partridge, bobcat and porcupine) and big game hunting (mule and black-tailed deer, elk, bear and wild turkey) for the first time. Spring Creek National Fish Hatchery: Open migratory bird hunting (crow), upland game hunting (grouse, partridge, porcupine and bobcat) and big game hunting (mule and black-tailed deer, elk, wild turkey and bear) for the first time. Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge: Expand the season date range for youth migratory bird hunting. Willapa National Wildlife Refuge: Expand existing elk and deer hunting to new acres. Willard National Fish Hatchery: Open sport fishing for the first time. In Oregon: Hart Mountain National Wildlife Refuge: Open migratory bird hunting for the first time and quail hunting, and expand existing upland game hunting (partridge) to new acres already open to other hunting. Nestucca Bay National Wildlife Refuge: Open goose hunting on acres already open to other hunting. Wapato Lake National Wildlife Refuge: Open migratory bird hunting for the first time. All the proposals Article in the Oregonian

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 3:40 pm 
Bernhardt's an industry shill who'd sell his own mother. He was appointed to his position after his criminal predecessor Zinke resigned. The statement about this ostensibly intended to "increase license sales" is laughable at best. The precipitous decline in sales of hunting and fishing licenses has far more to do with demographics and an aging population than lack of hunting and fishing opportunities. This is just more pandering to his industry cronies and accomplices. Hopefully after January 21, 2021 they'll kick this charlatan to the curb. Congressional switchboard: 1 202 224 3121

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 8:37 am 
I really think that National Parks should have a hunting season or two or three. Park animals are much too "friendly". Go into an area where hunting is allowed and the animals are usually not going to wander up to you for an handout. Exceptions do exist, but for the most part, hunting keeps animals fearful of humans and that is a good thing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 7:44 pm 
What a lame ill-thought-out proposal. huh.gif
Quote:
Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery: Open migratory bird, upland game and big game hunting for the first time.
The small parcel of the Fish Hatchery is surrounded by private homes and the Sleeping Lady Complex. Who is going to pay for all those broken windows from the crossfire? Might as well just open the Hatchery ponds for fishing too. eyes.gif From yesterday's bike ride.
Fish Hatchery
Fish Hatchery

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Apr 11, 2020 8:52 am 
Yes, I was confused by the Leavenworth fish hatchery proposal as well. I can't understand what their intention is. Duck hunting? I was aware of the fish hatchery in town but thought maybe there was another piece of property farther up Icicle Creek, but don't think this is the case. The hatchery in town is devoid of trees and as you mentioned, surrounded by homes and roads (popular as an intertube put in in the non-hunting summer months). It's pretty insane.

altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Apr 11, 2020 9:24 am 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Apr 11, 2020 10:59 pm 
Can somebody tell me what refuge means? huh.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 1:31 am 
That sir, is a good question. We'll have to find out exactly what the definition is in the parlance of wildlife managers. I do know that they do currently allow bow hunting down on Long Island (which is part of the Willapa National Wildlife Refuge) but I am puzzled about "additional lands" that they would want to add to those there on which hunting would be allowed. Obviously the Leavenworth Fish Hatchery simply isn't an appropriate area for hunting, unless they're talking about restricting weaponry to spears and atlatls, and I think even that might present some safety issues considering there are children and old women in the immediate area.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 2:03 pm 
A town I lived in legalized bowhunting because the deer population in town exploded and deer were starting to get killed and maimed by cars in town. The main concern was people seeing the butchering so a designated spot was made for that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 am 
...trying to answer the question "is this really as stupid as it sounds?" confused.gif From the fish hatchery website: "The hatchery also maintains inholdings and easements inside the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, and Snow Lakes and Nada Lake provide recreational fishing opportunities for rainbow and brook trout as well. The hatchery's Fishing Plan and its supporting Environmental Analysis codifies approximately 3,000 feet of shoreline and 200 acres of lake fishing that are open to the public." So maybe a wealthy hunter resented that he could not hunt up the Snow Creek drainage when the rest of the wilderness was open. frown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
altasnob

altasnob
PostMon Apr 13, 2020 8:52 am 
Ya, I just found more info on this on the fish hatchery's website. https://www.fws.gov/leavenworthfisheriescomplex/What'sHappening.cfm#Hunt "April 10, 2020: Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery (NFH) is well known in the community as a recreational destination. Five miles of trails are open for walking, birdwatching, and horseback riding. The same trails are used for skiing and snowshoeing in winter. Another part of hatchery property, in a separate area, has always been open for hunting. The area open for hunting is near Snow and Nada lakes in the nearby mountains, managed by Leavenworth NFH. When the hatchery was built in 1938-1939, Bureau of Reclamation engineers set up a high-elevation camp and constructed a water delivery system that included two alpine lakes. This system still provides cool, snowmelt water to the hatchery every summer. Property around the lakes is still owned and managed by the hatchery. This land is surrounded by U.S. Forest Service land, part of the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest’s Alpine Lakes Wilderness. It is also included in Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife General Management Unit 249. The complex intersecting network of federal and state hunting and fishing regulations can be difficult for hunters and anglers to navigate and act as a disincentive to engage in these activities. To remedy this confusion, we are formally recognizing hunting on the hatchery’s property at Snow and Nada lakes. This is part of a larger effort. Department of the Interior Secretary Bernhardt, through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, is proposing to open or expand hunting and fishing opportunities at 97 national wildlife refuges and 9 national fish hatcheries across more than 2.3 million acres. This continues the Administration’s focus on increasing access to public lands. This is not a change in the hatchery’s management of the land. We are just formally recognizing the land’s current use."

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Apr 13, 2020 7:59 pm 
Meanwhile, little bit of a burn in the neighborhood over there. https://www.ncwlife.com/alpenhof-fire-at-5-acres-outside-leavenworth/#fvp_2262,10s

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Apr 14, 2020 10:50 am 
altasnob wrote:
This is not a change in the hatchery’s management of the land. We are just formally recognizing the land’s current use."
Thanks for posting these details. This was bugging me. I personally know several people within USFWS who reviewed sites within this broad effort to open FWS lands to increased fishing/hunting opportunities. In the cases of NFHs in the upper Columbia, I know the managers had said 'no' to hunting since (at least in Leavenworth and Winthrop) there were clear safety concerns due to proximity to homes and recreation sites. So to read that Leavenworth NFH was allowing hunting instantly made me jump to the conclusion that local managers were being overruled at the regional/national levels. Glad that isn't the case here.