Forum Index > Gear Talk > Comparing apps and resources used for trip planning and backcountry navigation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RobinBaker

RobinBaker
PostMon Apr 13, 2020 9:04 am 
Quote:
It's also still slow to load the Mapbuilder tiles at the appropriate resolution - it takes a little bit to fill in and then resolve into whatever level of zoom you're using. (This also happens with the Mapbuilder layer on the website, so it seems like it's something to do with Mapbuilder itself.)
Did you pre-load the map tiles to your phone, or were you relying on wi-fi or cell network? Normally you would have the pre-chosen tiles and layers cached on your phone so you could use the maps in areas without wi-fi or cell coverage. That should speed things up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostMon Apr 13, 2020 9:46 am 
RobinBaker wrote:
Did you pre-load the map tiles to your phone, or were you relying on wi-fi or cell network?
It's slow in both, mostly when you move the map to a completely new area. I have the tiles presaved; the phone I use outside is an old phone I've dedicated to hiking that doesn't have service. I also have the Caltopo app on my regular (newer) phone and just turned off wifi and tried it with saved tiles and it did load and re-resolve a bit faster, so it may also be that my old phone is just too old and slow now (which is the case with other apps it runs). PDF maps are still basically instantaneous though since the whole map is one picture it loads at once.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 5:09 pm 
After you've planned a route in CalTopo, can you easily get it into a Garmin sports device?

RobinBaker

RobinBaker
PostSun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
After you've planned a route in CalTopo, can you easily get it into a Garmin sports device?
CalTopo can export in GPX and KML formats. Can your "Garmin sports device" import either of those formats?

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Apr 26, 2020 11:22 pm 
I’ve done it with a Garmin 500. Pretty easy.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 am 
I think mine eats gpx files too. Thanks for clarifying! Now the question is whether I can get a gpx into Garmin Connect as a course so I can transfer it over the air. smile.gif