Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trip Report Guidelines in the Covid Era
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 12:38 am 
I've had a request to close the TR section to new reports. Some have raised similar sentiments in various threads that people should not be posting reports. I think this may be unnecessarily extreme. Even if we did, at what point would we start allowing TRs? My perspective is there is nothing wrong with getting exercise if you can do it within the boundaries officials have set forth. Others may disagree and feel less / more is warranted. I do think it's extremely poor form to post reports for closed areas. Historically we have never censored trip reports as I think this is a slippery slope, so asking people to use more discretion and common sense at this time. I welcome other suggestions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 3:46 am 
up.gif I think you've summed it up there well and I hope that members will be willing to oblige your very reasonable request.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 am 
I agree. There is plenty of backcountry still open for dispersed use. I see nothing wrong with trip reports to these places. We also get out of state trip reports where the restrictions aren't so extreme.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:47 am 
Tom wrote:
I do think it's extremely poor form to post reports for closed areas.
Yep. I am reminded of the statements made by a mayor of a town in northern Italy that was hammered by COVID-19. He pointed out that the grandfathers of the current residents came back from the horror of WWI right into a pandemic that did not prey upon the elderly, but rather upon young adults like the returning soldiers. Look how little is being asked of us. We can do this. rolleyes.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:51 am 
Look how little is being asked of us. We're being asked to shut up, stay locked in, lose our rights, and don't post anything which upsets the control freaks amongst us, not to mention the informers. I am not surprised to see people try to shut down posts. I'd love to know names but that's not kosher, it would be more for the satisfaction of nailing a guess.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 am 
That's Thomas, Mr. Rational! I like it. So tell me, are there ZERO places one can hike in the state? If there are places to hike why then not allow TR's of those places. My nephew recently hiked the Manastash Ridge. I guess its open.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 am 
Agree with keeping the TRs forum open, and I hope folks will follow the TR comment policy and take their side commentary elsewhere.
Tom wrote:
NWH TR Comment Policy (circa 2009)

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 9:55 am 
Thanks Tom. Absolutely reasonable all around. We're all adults here. We all have common sense. I haven't memorized every square inch that's open and closed. When I see a TR, I assume there's a legit way to get there. Also, now it's a good time to post about older trips. We can get through this, and bickering isn't going to help.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 10:02 am 
Curious how often "bickering" is when someone pushes back to something the observer already agrees with. rolleyes.gif Kudos to Tom for openly asking the question.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 10:48 am 
Thanks tom!! Agreed 100%

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 11:09 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Curious how often "bickering" is when someone pushes back to something the observer already agrees with. rolleyes.gif
I agree. But you ended a sentence with a preposition, I think, so you're wrong.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 11:14 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Look how little is being asked of us. We're being asked to shut up, stay locked in, lose our rights, and don't post anything which upsets the control freaks amongst us, not to mention the informers.
Yep. The nature of social media is to expose the worst of a vocal minority in a comfortable anonymous setting. TRs are fun to write, and great for getting stoke. But the prime benefit of getting out is just doing that. Best to enjoy one's own satisfaction and not have it ruined by the sniping of a nasty few.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 11:18 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
We can get through this, and bickering isn't going to help.
If trails reopen 5/4, sure we can "get through it". But if that goes to July 4, or Sep 30, not so sure that will be acceptable to the majority.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 12:58 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I am not surprised to see people try to shut down posts. I'd love to know names but that's not kosher, it would be more for the satisfaction of nailing a guess.
It was a polite and reasoned request from someone that works with virologists and epidemiologists. I don't think there was ill intent. I think it's a worthy point of discussion.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 1:06 pm 
up.gif Censorship never accomplishes its goal, always saddles the censor with impossible responsibilities.