Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tightly knit 100% wool cap
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 5:41 pm 
I'm looking to replace a wool cap (skullcap or beanie). Something for winter, very basic with high quality, tightly knit. This seems so common, but almost everything I've seen online is mixed fibers, fashion oriented trash. Need to keep the noggin warm above treeline in wind and -20 or lower temps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 6:47 pm 
beanies are easy to knit. You'll need small needles which are harder to use though. Wool yarn is easy to come by. Some experimentation would be needed but perhaps you could knit a too big hat then put it in hot water to shrink it and tighten the stitches? I've never intentionally shrunk wool. It has always been accidental.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 11:13 am 
It don't get much simpler than knitting a hat. Get a knitting book and 4 needles, or a circular knitting needle and 4 needles, cuz you'll need 4 when the stitches become fewer. The circular needle will be too big of a circumference eventually and you'll need to put your stitches on 4 double ended needles. Knit two, purl two or however you want the ribbing to be for as wide as you want the ribbing to go, then just knit round and round and round reducing as you go. If you want to be precise, you should get some round ring things, or hose washers, or safety pins or??? to put on your needles where you want to reduce your stitches. Or you can eyeball it. I'm a dummy when it comes to knots and stuff, but I can knit a basic hat just fine. You can find wool yarn online right now or later at a knitting shop, but I'd recommend buying some acrylic to practice with as it is cheaper. Walmarche sells yarn, and now might be a good time to learn. The Walmarche sometimes has full blown kits for beginners. I don't know if they come with instructions, but all you need to know is a knit stitch, a purl stitch, and how to reduce. The easiest way to reduce is to knit two stitches together. Then, to finish it off, cut your yarn to enough length to run it through each stitch, do that and work it into the hat stitches, tying knots several times so it won't ravel. You then have a hat. Oh, you'll need to know how to "cast on" your stitches to get started, but that's pretty darn easy too. A bit of calculation is needed to figure out how many stitches are needed and this is starting to sound way more complex than what it is. Knit.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 12:08 pm 
Here is what you need, minus the yarn. The round thing is called a marker and I put one where the first round ends and keep working it along with the knitting. I added a crochet hook to what you need because I use it to work the yarn when finishing off. The needles have two pointy ends, and happen to be bamboo, but there are metal needles too.
Here are some knit without a pattern acrylic hats. I was using up leftover yarn and will eventually knit some more to give to the food bank when things get cold. One is very tight as the yarn was heavy and not stretchy and a &*%$ pain to knit with. One I knit some nubbins into just because.
My mom was an excellent knitter, but had no patience to teach me so I learned from a book. I have knit some sweaters prior to fleece being invented, and made a couple of fair isle types. My mom claimed that knitting helped keep her arthritic hands in some semblance of shape. That's it.

kite

kite
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 1:17 pm 
These folks make amazing wool hats https://www.arcticedge.no/

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 11:53 am 
For what its worth, I'll mention a slightly different product/system that works for me. I layer lightweight fleece hats such as this one, on sale now for $5 or so https://www.landsend.com/products/mens-100-fleece-hat/id_344931?attributes=2718,43309,43331,43429,43644 So, I layer two of those (100 weight fleece). Easy to adjust, stuff one in a pocket (i.e. strip to single layer) or add one. Fit matters. Too tight and it bothers you. Too loose and other issues. Often I have a thin poly balaclava under these. Sometimes a mesh top "baseball" cap if sun, or precipitation issues are present. For major chills, or breaks, I'll add a pile balaclava on top of the other layers. Not suggested for Instagram episodes. Wintertime ascent hikes in the Grand Canyon led me to this system. A mix of in and out of the wind, sun and shade.

Off trail rambler
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm 
It's not cheap ($32), but Appalachian Gear Company makes a 100% alpaca fleece hat. I have not worn it but a friend has one and loves it. I want to get one but will wait till fall. ALL-PACA™ FLEECE BEANIE Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Waterman

Waterman
PostSun May 03, 2020 8:23 am 
Rumi, Looks like a great company to support. Can't wait to receive my order.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon May 04, 2020 5:37 am 
RumiDude wrote:
It's not cheap ($32), but Appalachian Gear Company makes a 100% alpaca fleece hat. I have not worn it but a friend has one and loves it. I want to get one but will wait till fall. ALL-PACA™ FLEECE BEANIE Rumi
Nice find!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 04, 2020 12:43 pm 
Alpaca wool is good stuff.

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed May 13, 2020 8:32 am 
Recieved my hat yesterday. Regular size, will go up one size in the future. Very well made. For those looking for something different try a hat made from Qiviut. Musk ox inner wool. Very spendy, very light almost gossamer light. Warmest hat i ever had. Sorry i lost it.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed May 13, 2020 9:12 am 
Waterman wrote:
Recieved my hat yesterday. Regular size, will go up one size in the future.
What size hat do you wear, if you don't mind saying?

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed May 13, 2020 9:34 am 
Website said a regular is 7 3/4. Currently i have too much hair so hat feels small.