Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 1:42 pm 
Boreal Ties-Photographs and Two Diaries of the 1901 Peary Relief Expedition documents the voyage and delivery of supplies for an arctic quest to reach the North Pole. The authors, Kim Gillis and Silas Ayer, are both related to Clarence Wyckoff and Louis Bement who were on the supply ship. As such they are privy to and shared family diaries and photos of the 1901 Peary resupply expedition. Numerous sepia toned photos with adjoining descriptions enrich the text, particularly those that capture the Inuit culture encountered. Some of the practices mentioned have thankfully ended. "When a woman dies and leaves a child under three years, the husband has option of killing the child if he wishes."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 6:42 pm 
The arctic explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson led an expedition to the arctic ocean in 1913. He let the voyage shortly before the vessel became imprisoned in ice. The next 18 months brought the sinking of the ship and the heroic effort of the captain, Robert Bartlett to save most of the lives of those remaining. He had the nickname Ice Master hence the title The Ice Master-The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk by Jennifer Niven. Her thorough review of diaries, letters, journals, and manuscripts provide primary source material for this incredible survival story.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 1:39 pm 
The Lewis and Clark expedition gathered a wealth of information that included botanical findings. In Lewis and Clark's Green World-The Expedition and its Plants the authors Earle and Reveal review each species observed in the sequence of its appearance along with color photos and cultural information. It was news to me that the First Nations ate the emerging stems of arrowleaf balsamroot in the spring for sustenance.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 pm 
Steinbeck's (and Rickett's) Log of the Sea of Cortez. I've had it for many years, but never read it. Tried once or twice, but wasn't into it. I don't know what my problem was; it's wonderful.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 9:55 am 
So far this year The Gulag Archipelago Vol I - III unabridged, The Happiness Hypothesis, The Way I Heard it and now In The First Circle

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 1:25 pm 
McLoughlin and Old Oregon by Eva Emery Dye is historical fiction with a copyright date of 1900. The book recounts the years when John McGlouglin was the chief factor at Fort Vancouver. She offers due homage to the man who gained respect from trappers, the First Nations, and early settlers of Oregon by his benevolence to all. The author herself settled in Oregon City and was a leader in the women's suffrage movement which thankfully came to fruition.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 8:47 am 
Remaining at home has given me added time for reading about the history involved with westward expansion. Incidents of Travel and Adventure in the Far West with Col. Fremont's Last Expedition by S.N. Carvalho provides an eye witness account to one such episode. Carvalho accompanied Fremont on an expedition from St. Louis westward to California in the winter of 1853. The text allows the reader to enter a world where buffalo still amassed in the many thousands and the First Nations still controlled their homelands.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 1:22 pm 
Arctic Labyrinth by Glyn Williams reviews a half-dozen of the numerous failed and sometimes tragic voyages that were made in pursuit of the elusive dream of finding the Northwest Passage. One such expedition by John Ross was "...stocked with fourteen tons of canned meat, soup and vegetables and 3 1/2 tons of tobacco and 4,500 gallons of over-proof rum." The book delves into journals, diaries, and official records in offering a narrative showing both the strength of human fortitude and also the weakness of chasing delusions.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 1:36 pm 
I'm almost through the second volume of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall trilogy, Bring Up the Bodies. While her writing is excellent, I hope I can make it through the last volume, the recently published The Mirror and the Light, without becoming too depressed. I should have realized that any fiction taking place during the reign of Henry VIII is going to have lots and lots of beheadings!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 1:38 pm 
I'm almost through the second volume of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall trilogy, Bring Up the Bodies. While her writing is excellent, I hope I can make it through the last volume, the recently published The Mirror and the Light, without becoming too depressed. I should have realized that any fiction taking place during the reign of Henry VIII is going to have lots and lots of beheadings!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 2:58 pm 
I haven't read it (yet), but check out a new book about the fight to save Miner's Ridge, titled An Open Pit Visible from the Moon by Adam Sowards, who I understand was on the initial Advisory Council of the PNT. Also I understand a local former USFS employee had a hand in some of the research on the book. It's new, full price on Amazon and of course the Kindle version is available.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 1:38 pm 
Mother Night, again.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 1:39 pm 
Be careful with what you pretend to be.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Washakie

Washakie
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 1:52 pm 
You understand. Many do not.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 12:45 pm 
The Race to the White Continent by Alan Gurney relives the rivalries of the exploring parties to Antarctica for the French, British, and United States. But exploration meant the ships hulls banged against ice floes before their retreat to more friendly warm waters. The author gleaned much of his narrative from ship's logs and letters offering a glimpse into the life of sailors during the 1830s as an added benefit to the reading.