Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Politics of the COVID-19 Response
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 10:23 pm 
Randito wrote:
this is a joke, right?
Dan Lamothe, reporting for the Washington Post wrote:
Flying the squadrons cost at least $60,000 per hour.
How many masks can you buy for $60,000 ?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 12:43 am 
catsp wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
For what it's worth, there have been almost a thousand more deaths since I wrote that this morning.
For what it’s worth, tomorrow we’ll hear that another 4+ million people are out of work.
Those that don't learn from history.... https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/opinions/denver-1918-lesson-avlon/index.html

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 1:46 am 
2 + 2 = 5 RE: previous post from the other Covid thread RE: previous post from the other Covid thread I cannot help but be greatly amused by the persistence of members who continue to insist, based on anecdotal evidence presented by a local radio talk-show host with a BA in politics, that the drug hydroxychloroquine is going to provide some panacea for the Covid-19 virus, notwithstanding a recently posted article (here) co-authored by a well-credentialed journalist and published author and a well-credentialed doctor and journalist and a paper authored by several medical professionals which concludes that the claims previously made by the aforementioned radio talk-show host (as well as Mr. Trump) are clearly without merit. More egregiously, it is being argued that the refutation of the claims previously made regarding hydroxychloroquine by medical professionals somehow constitute a "war on science" (a term co-opted from the title of a 2016 book written by Shawn Otto ) or a "media jihad", a term used by various academics who use the term to describe the tactics used by radical fundamentalist Islamic terrorist groups such as ISIS, recently co-opted as a dog-whistle sound-bite term by Attorney General William Barr during an interview with Laura Ingraham on Wednesday, April 8, 2020. I say amused because I cannot take seriously the regurgitation of the dog-whistle sound-bite terms being inserted into what is ostensibly being presented as fact-based dialog, when in fact it is only thinly-guised agenda-driven political palaver. Take note that the argument is presented not once, but rather repeatedly, a text-book example right out of the Josef Goebbels playbook: "If you repeat a lie often enough, people will come to believe it, and you will even come to believe it yourself." The point at which this becomes not just outrageously ridiculous, but dangerous, is when people begin to actually believe this sort of nonsense, and view as acceptable the practice of co-opting terms commonly used in the parlance of what is viewed as "the opposition", subsequently assigning diametrically opposed definitions to those terms, and then utilizing them in ways which fit their own agenda and narrative. It is at that point we enter the universe of Winston Smith, where up is down, black is white, and 2 + 2 = 5. == There is a great, albeit lengthy, dissertation by Mr. Otto HERE wink.gif see also: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1183673#1183673 (in which nwhikers.net member Kaskadia accurately and succinctly assesses these arguments: “The other stuff is a distraction/cultural war/political material.” https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/hydroxychloroquine-trump-coronavirus-drug https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/trump-coronavirus-war-on-science-kudlow-fauci.html https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-there-really-a-war-on-science/ https://www.c-span.org/video/?411578-1/the-war-science https://www.stratcomcoe.org/media-jihad-islamic-states-doctrine-information-warfare https://www.nationalreview.com/news/barr-slams-media-jihad-aimed-at-discrediting-hydroxychloroquine/ https://thehill.com/homenews/media/491936-barr-claims-media-is-on-jihad-against-trump-over-promotion-of-anti-malaria https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/trump-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-study-results-virginia-20200421.html (Philadelphia Inquirer 04/21/20) https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.16.20065920v1.full.pdf 2545

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 8:28 am 
catsp wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
For what it's worth, there have been almost a thousand more deaths since I wrote that this morning.
For what it’s worth, tomorrow we’ll hear that another 4+ million people are out of work.
That's not 4 million people losing their jobs every day, for the record. I've never suggested there won't be an enormous human and economic toll. We're going to see Great Depression levels of unemployment before this is over. I think instead of bailing cruise lines out, we should spend the money on rent and food relief. Good thing we put "unemployment on steroids," too bad so many people aren't able to file a claim. I also think this crisis shows that we need paid sick leave for everybody, going forward not just right now. When we learn how many people were bankrupted paying for covid treatment, we'll decide that health coverage for all is necessary. What do you think we should do?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 12:07 pm 
Randito wrote:
Operation America Strong SMH
Lordy! I thought that was an article from The Onion until I looked at the source. Sad times, this. Give $$ to your local food bank if you can. I'm going to try to continue to give what I'd be spending in travel money each month to them. I'm starting to think that our only hope is now at the State and Local levels of gubmint. At least until January, that is.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 2:47 pm 
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 2:50 pm 
As someone else said hard to tell the onion from the news these days.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 3:09 pm 
catsp wrote:
Though it does seem fair to note that you seem to focus on the lives to be saved or lost more than anything else. (Which I might suggest is only half of even the "human" toll, with individual economic devastation or misery comprising the other half.)
I've complained about that in the main covid thread, in some threads in Trail, and in PMs. I got it off my chest. rant.gif And I think everybody is painfully aware of the economic damage happening. I still hear a lot about how this really isn't that bad or deadly, it's like the flu, only old people are at risk and it's harmless to everyone else, etc. Even that it's a hoax like climate change, mass shootings, and Obama's birth certificate. Nitpicking here, but it's not just lives saved, the disease can have severe complications too. Permanent lung damage, amputations, etc. Not nitpicking, it isn't just the economy that's suffering, this is a mental health disaster. Loneliness is more unhealthy than smoking cigarettes. I miss my friends. There will be an epidemic of depression, there will be suicides and domestic abuse, etc. Don't get me started. But what's the alternative? The only lever we have is limiting opportunity for spread. Let go, and we're basically back to square one. How will it affect our economy to have people constantly out sick? Everybody who dies before retirement is a loss of knowledge, what will that do to productivity? We have to pay the piper one way or another. He offers different plans and we should pick the best one, but it's not like we can drop the restrictions and not have any economic damage.

neek

neek
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 4:40 pm 
Models show that if 80 percent of people wear masks that are 60 percent effective, easily achievable with cloth, we can get to an effective R0 of less than one. That’s enough to halt the spread of the disease. So, starting tomorrow: mandate mask wearing in public, and open things back up (maintaining social distancing requirements and the large group ban). Objections? Again, I'm not at all convinced health/economy is a zero sum game. Maybe I'm glossing over some details, but as was pointed out earlier, nuance has gone out of style.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 5:46 pm 
Tom wrote:
As someone else said hard to tell the onion from the news these days.
Indeed -- but that's kind of been a growing issue since June of 2015

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 6:07 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Randito wrote:
Operation America Strong SMH
Lordy! I thought that was an article from The Onion until I looked at the source.
This makes me feel better about my uncle dying of the covid because Trump said you can go to work if you're sick.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 6:08 pm 
neek wrote:
So, starting tomorrow: mandate mask wearing in public, and open things back up (maintaining social distancing requirements and the large group ban). Objections?
You some kind of Mooslim or somethin?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm 
Great find, neek. The first question that comes to mind, however, is how do we implement this in a country where half the population is capable of rational thought, and the other half is more concerned about their putative "freedom" and "rights"? If it were made mandatory, say, by an executive order, it creates an entirely new set of problems with respect to enforcement. We already have a moronic Shonomish County Sheriff who publicly announced his refusal to enforce the State Chief Executive's "Stay at Home" order. In a nation where stupidity reigns supreme, I just don't see a level of compliance that would result in significant enough results to make the wearing of masks mandatory. Perhaps it was the woman standing in front of me in line, waiting to get into Trader Joe's earlier this afternoon, insisting that it was "just the regular old flu" that causes me to lose all faith in the ability of the majority of Americans to actually use their brains.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 7:51 pm 
And just in case you haven't had a good enough dose of "stupid" today...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 8:23 pm 
It'll be Tide Pods all over again!! I think he's trying to be sciency and failing miserably.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities