Forum Index > Trail Talk > Why no Discover Pass refunds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 6:52 pm 
>buy discover pass because spring is coming >can't use it for almost 2 months >got ripped off The state ordered gyms to give refunds to customers who couldn't use them while they were closed. Same should apply to Discover Pass.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 7:07 pm 
Or extend all expiration dates 3 months

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 11:44 pm 
ejain

ejain
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 11:49 pm 
You're not a tourist, so surely you'll be able to get in the 3 trips needed to break even? True, you could have saved $5 by waiting 2 months, but if that is your biggest fallout from COVID-19, consider yourself lucky :-)

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 12:04 am 
What a pack of winers, you would probably complain if they hung you with a new rope.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 12:54 am 
The state is going to be strapped for cash, giving $2.50 to crybabies is just not a priority.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 10:30 am 
OP has a fair point. You shouldn't have to pay a fee for something you can't use. I agree that the refund amount is trivial, but an extension seems appropriate in this case for both DNR and USFS passes.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:12 am 
The hassle of doing this is not worth the 6 dollars in refunds folks would get.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:20 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
OP has a fair point. You shouldn't have to pay a fee for something you can't use. I agree that the refund amount is trivial, but an extension seems appropriate in this case for both DNR and USFS passes.
The OP post contains either a misunderstanding or intentional disinformation about the AG directive to gyms concerning membership refunds.
MyFootHurts wrote:
The state ordered gyms to give refunds to customers who couldn't use them while they were closed. Same should apply to Discover Pass.
The AG's order https://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-ferguson-gyms-and-fitness-centers-allow-members-cancel-memberships-or-face Contains the following language:
Quote:
Gyms and fitness centers must allow customers to cancel their memberships at any time, for any reason, including the inability to access their gym or fitness due to the global pandemic, provided those requests are issued in writing.
The OP doesn't say that he made a request in writing to the State Parks for a refund of his Discover Pass and was refused.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:35 am 
Although I know of someone who did request a refund for their Discover Pass and it was politely refused. They were rather indignant about it, too (it's a matter of principle). rolleyes.gif It's hardly worth it for enforcement to go down the line and add X months to expiration dates on every car IMO. We bought ours in January, they would have to do it for a year. Good grief, I can't believe how blessed we are to have such a cheap and wondrous hobby/lifestyle/access.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:39 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
What a pack of winers, you would probably complain if they hung you with a new rope.
lol.gif Oh I am going to use this! ============================= Really; it's not like they did this on purpose to piss people off. The administrative costs would strap the state even moreso. Even to extend the expiration date - the officers would have to calculate every pass they check. Not a hard calculation, but it would have to be done, and mass ridiculousness will ensue with people saying they ordered it on the 3rd of such-and-such a month, it took 3 weeks for them to get it, so they're out that 3 weeks, plus the pandemic weeks....Good god, I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. Give 'em the few bucks and let it go. They didn't even have a deal for veterans the first few years (they may not now; not sure), so chances are we'll just eat the few bucks.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 1:49 pm 
catsp wrote:
Randito wrote:
The OP doesn't say that he made a request in writing to the State Parks for a refund of his Discover Pass and was refused.
Says no refunds or extensions at this time on website.
Where? On https://www.discoverpass.wa.gov/ there is this general text about refunds
Quote:
Can I return the Discover Pass after I have purchased it? You may request a refund: Within 60 minutes of purchasing a pass online through www.discoverpass.wa.gov, call DCG One customer service at (844) 271-7041 or e-mail discoverpass@dcgone.com Within 30 minutes of purchasing the pass directly from Washington State Parks, at the location where you purchased the pass. Within 60 minutes of purchasing a pass in person through Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife license dealer where you purchased the pass. Within 60 minutes of purchasing online or over the phone through Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Call customer service at (866) 320-9933 during regular business hours Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., except major holidays. Or e-mail licensing@dfw.wa.gov for a response within the next business day.
Nothing about COVID-19 Besides gym membership run more like $30 to $250 per month not $30 per year.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 2:19 pm 
catsp wrote:
Here: Washington State Parks
There is general information about how state parks are reopening on May 5th on the link you provided -- but I didn't see anything about Discover Passes at all, much less refunds or not.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm 
catsp wrote:
FAQs on the right side.
Thanks More useful link: https://parks.state.wa.us/Faq.aspx?QID=198
Quote:
Can I get an extension or refund on my Discover Pass for the month-long state lands closure? No. State agencies are focused on reopening public access to outdoor recreation and will not provide refunds or extensions at this time.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 2:58 pm 
Randito wrote:
Quote:
Can I get an extension or refund on my Discover Pass for the month-long state lands closure? No. State agencies are focused on reopening public access to outdoor recreation and will not provide refunds or extensions at this time.
It's sorta like a STFU without actually saying it. I like it. Succinct. No ambiguity.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert