Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Satellite Experts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:01 pm 
I don't want to give folks the impression that latency and bandwidth are fundamentally related, but yes latency is important for reasons you state and others. But I still hold that calling pptp "secure" is a bit squishy. Beside the point for sure. And no, the feds can't crack everything. Mostly they don't need to as msft and others feed it directly. Then there's backdoors and everything Snowden showed us. If that doesn't work or is too expensive, just write laws that make strong encryption illegal. Anyway, when it comes to internet for places that otherwise wouldn't have it, indeed 500-600ms rtt would be horrible, but I'd guess not necessarily the show stopper that the required transmit power of devices would be. (On that, however, I'm no expert.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 2:06 pm 
neek wrote:
And no, the feds can't crack everything.
That's what the NSA wants people to believe.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat May 02, 2020 4:17 pm 

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 pm 
And on and on.... Amazon gets approval for another 3200 satellites- to compete with Elon’s https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/fcc-authorizes-amazon-to-build-kuiper-satellite-internet-network.html buh-bye night sky

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 am 
Where do people come up with this nonsense? Stop panicking over nothing.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 12:02 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Sitting in the hot tub a couple nights ago and counted 27 satellites in a row. All appearing equal distances apart and traveling @ the same speed and on the same latitude line west to east.
I must have been sitting in my hot tub on the same night as I saw that parade of satellites as well. It was very odd that they kept coming one right after another on the same line. Just that one night. I have not seen a repeat of that performance since then and I spend a lot of time in my hot tub. I have seen many random spots of light moving in the sky but never a pattern like that.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
pcg

pcg
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 2:35 pm 
Randito wrote:
neek wrote:
And no, the feds can't crack everything.
That's what the NSA wants people to believe.
Encryption security is inversely proportional to encryption convenience. Dictionary encryption, for example, is IMPOSSIBLE to break, but inconvenient to use. Keys add convenience, but allow decryption at some point.

pcg

pcg
PostWed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
buh-bye night sky
Low orbit satellites are only visible for about an hour after sunset and then an hour before sunrise. So by the time it gets good and dark, you shouldn't be able to see them because they are no longer in sunlight.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 pm 
I remember seeing all kinds of lights in the night sky over the Mojave while on the PCT! It's kinda fun speculating!!!

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 4:04 pm 
I watched a satellite get blown out of the sky while in Dusy Basin in like 1992. Scared the crap out of us. Was day 2 or 3 of a week long trip. So we didn't find out what it was until after we got out. Thought we were witnessing the end of times. We saw a very bright object moving in the sky, it appeared to be going straight up and then it suddenly veered off and started heading back down...then it got interesting. The object suddenly exploded, no sound, and then concentric circles of bright light began to expand from it until it filled the entire western sky. We started hugging each other and saying our goodbyes as the circles of light got bigger and bigger. Finally the light started to recede back. We were still alive! It took about 45 minutes from start to finish. A few days after getting back to the artificial world we learned that it was a satellite launched from Vandenberg and had a failure so it was blown out of the sky. Did I see a nuclear explosion? Bigger than anything I've ever seen before or since. California is definitely a weird place!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Aug 06, 2020 4:10 pm 
pcg wrote:
Low orbit satellites are only visible for about an hour after sunset and then an hour before sunrise
Thanks! That seems likely, although I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them later than that. The Int’l Astronomy Union seems to be concerned, too; https://www.iau.org/news/announcements/detail/ann19035/ “...these satellites are often made of highly reflective metal, and reflections from the Sun in the hours after sunset and before sunrise make them appear as slow-moving dots in the night sky. Although most of these reflections may be so faint that they are hard to pick out with the naked eye, they can be detrimental to the sensitive capabilities of large ground-based astronomical telescopes, including the extreme wide-angle survey telescopes currently under construction. Secondly, despite notable efforts to avoid interfering with radio astronomy frequencies, aggregate radio signals emitted from the satellite constellations can still threaten astronomical observations at radio wavelengths. Recent advances in radio astronomy, such as producing the first image of a black hole or understanding more about the formation of planetary systems, were only possible through concerted efforts in safeguarding the radio sky from interference.“