Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascades and Chinook Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 6:11 pm 
WSDOT usually has updates on their progress in the mountain passes section of their website, but not this year. Clearing work was paused for awhile but supposedly has resumed. Anyone around here have the inside scoop or any leads to information on how things are progressing?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 7:49 pm 
They do have some updates. Crews are working on both passes: Chinook Pass: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/chinook-and-cayuse/home North Cascade Highway: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/north-cascades-highway/home WSDOT also posts updates on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/albums

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:17 pm 
Yeah, I thought I heard to expect about two weeks to clear Highway 20. Not sure about the others. NCNP may or may not still be closed then but the road at least will go through.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon May 04, 2020 11:00 pm 
Backpackapalooza wrote:
They do have some updates. Crews are working on both passes: Chinook Pass: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/chinook-and-cayuse/home North Cascade Highway: https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/north-cascades-highway/home WSDOT also posts updates on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/albums
Most recent post for Chinook was April 21, and all it says is that clearing work has resumed. Pretty much the same for North Cascades, but the most recent post is even older. That flickr link shows one picture with no info, not even a date when it was taken. In years past they've kept their web page updated with progress reports. you know, things like "cleared to milepost such and such on the East side and milepost this or that on the West, weather has been favorable and crews are making good progress" or somesuch. Nothing of that sort this year, so we have no idea what kind of progress they're making. Thus my question.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostTue May 05, 2020 8:42 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Most recent post for Chinook was April 21, and all it says is that clearing work has resumed. Pretty much the same for North Cascades, but the most recent post is even older. That flickr link shows one picture with no info, not even a date when it was taken. In years past they've kept their web page updated with progress reports. you know, things like "cleared to milepost such and such on the East side and milepost this or that on the West, weather has been favorable and crews are making good progress" or somesuch. Nothing of that sort this year, so we have no idea what kind of progress they're making. Thus my question.
I can’t speak to Chinook but I know for 20 they aren’t publicizing progress much because they definitely don’t want to have people showing up to the traditional opening day ceremony and in general they’re trying to discourage travel to Winthrop/Mazama.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 05, 2020 8:47 am 
"They" are most likely not encouraging travel at this time.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue May 05, 2020 12:48 pm 
The highway 20 site had a statement that they expected work to take about two more weeks. That was about a week ago. The statement is gone now.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 05, 2020 1:00 pm 
Fantastic riding on highway 20. smile.gif Edit to add: Anybody know if bikes are allowed on 20 right now? I think it's closed in Newhalem, it's a lovely ride beyond there and being closed to cars makes it safer to ride.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 05, 2020 4:50 pm 
I had kinda planned to ride it from the Early Winters side but now don't think it would be the right thing to do, my friend I ride with is incapacitated, and I don't know enough about avalanches right now. So, maybe another year. I want to ride McKenzie Pass also. Might still be able to do that this year, might not. We need to be flexible.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue May 05, 2020 7:53 pm 
Talked to a friend in Twisp today. He and his partner were up on SR 20 over the weekend. They parked at the turn-off to Cedar Creek TH and rode e-bikes up to a point a little past the Cutthroat TH road. He said there were TONS of folks doing the same up there. Apparently since WSDOT crews are working 4 -10 hour days, they are not working Fri thru Sun. And they are OK with people being on the road when work isn’t happening. I’m not sure exactly where the road is closed to motor vehicles....I assume the Silver Star gates? I dont know if the west side is ‘open’ the same days, or in the same way.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 05, 2020 8:01 pm 
Word from a Mazama resident friend is that the Silver Star gate is still closed.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 06, 2020 7:07 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Talked to a friend in Twisp today. He and his partner were up on SR 20 over the weekend. They parked at the turn-off to Cedar Creek TH and rode e-bikes up to a point a little past the Cutthroat TH road. He said there were TONS of folks doing the same up there. Apparently since WSDOT crews are working 4 -10 hour days, they are not working Fri thru Sun. And they are OK with people being on the road when work isn’t happening. I’m not sure exactly where the road is closed to motor vehicles....I assume the Silver Star gates? I dont know if the west side is ‘open’ the same days, or in the same way.
Thanks for the update. Hmmmm, I may see if friend is interested but friend has had some scary medical stuff and is in the process of trying different medications and needs to be in cell phone reach.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 06, 2020 12:10 pm 
From a a friend wrote:
I spoke with someone from the highway dept last weekend & it was scheduled to open Thursday or Friday this week, assuming all clearing was done. It won’t be communicated online tho to try to limit people flooding over. I think once it opens the WSDOT pass info will just get updated but not before.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed May 06, 2020 9:17 pm 
The hikes on 410 are so peaceful until Chinook Pass opens, they still are not typically terrible, but I can go from seeing absolutely nobody to a dozen from one week to the next.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Bronco

Bronco
PostFri May 08, 2020 2:45 pm 
Randito wrote:
From a a friend wrote:
I spoke with someone from the highway dept last weekend & it was scheduled to open Thursday or Friday this week, assuming all clearing was done. It won’t be communicated online tho to try to limit people flooding over. I think once it opens the WSDOT pass info will just get updated but not before.
Looks like not this weekend. https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/north-cascades-highway/home Bummer!