Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The black death in Europe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Washakie

Washakie
PostFri May 01, 2020 1:35 pm 
Yes, I love Lucy....simply the best. Many other sitcoms are good, but Lucy "set the bar". The one with Harpo is classic.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
uww

uww
PostFri May 01, 2020 7:57 pm 
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat May 02, 2020 8:04 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
You guys really know how to uplift and inspire. .....like an underwire bra. huh.gif But right now, I'm turning to I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke reruns, and PG Wodehouse stories. clown.gif
Like a ray of sunshine in a drought stricken land?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat May 02, 2020 10:57 am 
Ring around the rosies Pocket full of posies Ashes Ashes We all fall down. Supposed to have connotations with the black plague in Europe. Rosies are a rash or something. Posies in your pocket help mask the smell of the corpses Ashes I think, are from burning the dead. We all fall down--die. This is from memory, it may be wrong. But who would guess that a little kid's rhyme would have such a morbid origination?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 02, 2020 11:08 am 
Fairy tales are all pretty morbid, it wouldn't surprise me a nursery rhyme is too.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat May 02, 2020 11:53 am 
You got it mostly correct, treeswarper. The "ring around the rosie" part, as I recall, was a euphemistic description of the rash which developed. https://www.sporcle.com/blog/2017/08/real-meaning-behind-ring-around-the-rosie/ can't wait to see little girls skipping rope to a rhyme about Corona Virus. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 02, 2020 1:20 pm 
Mother Goose is mostly based on Tudor Politics 4 and 20 blackbirds was about when Henry VIII seized the monastery’s when he disestablished the Catholic Church and the deeds were baked in a pie Mary Mary quite contrary was about the imprisonments of Mary Queen of Scots by Elisabeth I Hunpty Dumpty about a disgraced MOP

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn