Forum Index > Trail Talk > Crowding in the backcountry - summer of 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostMon May 04, 2020 3:41 pm 
My apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseam here. But was just considering how many forms of summer vacations won't be taking place this year International Travel - out Hawaii - who really wants to fly? Grandmas house - she doesn't want you around. Disneyland - Maybe if you wear a MAGA hat. Staycation - We're all loosing our minds. People are going to go somewhere. And if you thought the last decade had gotten busy in the outdoors I gotta think this summer will be over the top. Maybe not worth a thread. But convince me I'm wrong!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 04, 2020 4:36 pm 
There are bike rides that feel like hiking, at least that's what people said until hiking ran out of solitude. I'll probably be spending more time on two wheels and scenic dirt roads.

monorail

monorail
PostMon May 04, 2020 4:46 pm 
It's easy to find solitude. Just let the Devil's Club be your guide...

jhiker001

jhiker001
PostMon May 04, 2020 5:04 pm 
I already thought about this and I'm still debating what to do. I bought plane tickets back in January to fly to Jackson WY and do some hiking in the Wind River Range. Now, all I envision is hoards of people hiking up to Titcomb Basin and struggling to find a decent campsite. Granted, the Wind River Range is in a less populated area compared to others, but I really don't know what to expect. Plus, I'm not even sure I want to fly. Maybe I'll drive. We'll see.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 04, 2020 5:08 pm 
monorail wrote:
Somebody from WTA said you can't say that anymore. It's "resplendent maple bush" now.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostMon May 04, 2020 5:09 pm 
Avoid Titcomb Basin and Big Sandy TH and I imagine there are hundreds of gorgeous valleys you could have to yourself in the Winds. I think it's going to get a bit more difficult in the metropolis that is the Cascades. I've got my "secret" B-or-C list trips in my area where I rarely ever see anyone. Just hoping this summer doesn't bring an end to that. Kinda wish I lived in Montana about right now.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon May 04, 2020 5:30 pm 
I'd ditch Titcomb Basin and scoot around the corner to camp in Indian Basin. Much less campers, and still in good position to peak bag. An hour on top of Fremont on a high visibility day is memorable. Alternatively, there is a ton of other fabulous Wind River destinations that are far less crowded than the Titcomb area.

Off trail rambler
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon May 04, 2020 6:30 pm 
I dont know whether or not hiking trails will be more crowded than usual, but here is MY nightmare scenario: - lots of people - not working - with time on their hands, decide a ‘cheap’ family vacation is dispersed camping on FS/DNR/WADFW lands. - add to that all the folks that normally camp in FS/State developed campgrounds and even places like KOAs that may or may not be desirable and/or open, who will be ‘displaced’ into the dispersed camping spots. - then add the people who are ‘I gotta get out of city and be more safe in a rural area’ ...they will be looking for camping spots. - And, then the (possibly) increasing number of homeless looking for a summer spot. I think it might get very weird in the woods this summer....

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostMon May 04, 2020 6:34 pm 
slabbyd wrote:
People are going to go somewhere. And if you thought the last decade had gotten busy in the outdoors I gotta think this summer will be over the top.
No. You might die driving to or from the trailhead. Don't go outside. Stay home. Stay healthy. This message brought to you and approved by Jay Inslee.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 04, 2020 6:40 pm 
monorail wrote:
My thoughts exactly, hike to Helena lake.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 04, 2020 6:44 pm 
Solitude? It's easy to find. Just go out into the woods and stay out of wilderness areas. Follow old roads and then hit the elk trails. Everybody wants the Alpine spots, but you can easily find yourself alone in basic forest, and might get a view if you pick a not too old clearcut.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 04, 2020 8:41 pm 
Strava Heat Map is a useful tool for knowing what areas to avoid. GaigaGPS public tracks serve a similar function. Even if one follows a popular trail, it is impressive how little one has to go off to the side or a bit farther to have a less crowded experience.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon May 04, 2020 8:53 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
I think it might get very weird in the woods this summer....
Don't forget there's gonna be the killer Asian monster murder bees out there competin' for spots too!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 04, 2020 10:14 pm 
Ah don’t worry you can take out those bees with a .45.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue May 05, 2020 8:29 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Ah don’t worry you can take out those bees with a .45.
More likely a shotgun, unless you a really accurate hitting a moving mean target! The late Karen Sykes, "Hidden Hikes in Western Washington" is prominent in my COVID era hike planning. Keeping away from I-90 hiking, and anything hikes covered by Ira Spring will be high priority.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau