Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail and Park Closures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
This list is not complete or fully up to date. If something is not listed here, that doesn't mean it's open. We've compiled this list for the convenience of hikers. Roads Only high-use roads that are important to hikers will be listed here. Hiking Snow

Wiki summmary last edited by puzzlr on Sat May 02, 2020 10:33 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue May 05, 2020 3:01 pm 
As of 2PM today, there's still signage at exit 52 (road to Alpental): closed, local traffic only. Obviously you can drive around it. Some cars parked by the no parking signs at the snow bank right off the exit, which, when melted, leads down to Denny Creek and associated THs.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 05, 2020 4:22 pm 
Stephen B wrote:
As of 2PM today, there's still signage at exit 52 (road to Alpental): closed, local traffic only. Obviously you can drive around it. Some cars parked by the no parking signs at the snow bank right off the exit, which, when melted, leads down to Denny Creek and associated THs.
Technically the Summit ski areas are under the Ski area's Special Use Permit. Alpental typically strives to keep spinning their lifts until at least May 5th. The Summit also does construction and maintenance operations over the summer. So whether or not there is snow or whether or not lifts are spinning the Summit is still within their authority under the Special Use Permit to close all the USFS lands to public access withing the SUP boundary. Some of the Summit's ski lifts and runs are on private land -- of course they retain the right to close their privately owned lands to public use. The numbers of folks skinning and skiing within the SUP boundaries has not been zero -- the fact that the Summit and the USFS are not operating an active cordon with armed guards preventing access doesn't mean that folks skinning and skiing in spite of the closure are except from being cited with a gross misdemeanor. In the grand scheme of risks that backcountry skiers undertake -- this seems like noise.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue May 05, 2020 5:26 pm 
Randito wrote:
Stephen B wrote:
Technically the Summit ski areas are under the Ski area's Special Use Permit. Alpental typically strives to keep spinning their lifts until at least May 5th. The Summit also does construction and maintenance operations over the summer. So whether or not there is snow or whether or not lifts are spinning the Summit is still within their authority under the Special Use Permit to close all the USFS lands to public access withing the SUP boundary. Some of the Summit's ski lifts and runs are on private land -- of course they retain the right to close their privately owned lands to public use. The numbers of folks skinning and skiing within the SUP boundaries has not been zero -- the fact that the Summit and the USFS are not operating an active cordon with armed guards preventing access doesn't mean that folks skinning and skiing in spite of the closure are except from being cited with a gross misdemeanor. In the grand scheme of risks that backcountry skiers undertake -- this seems like noise.
Not sure why you found it necessary to write the response above. I'm just updating on the road status as today is the first day some things have opened and this area can be of interest to hiking and alpine objectives. Hiking Snoqualmie Peak or Guye can be quite pleasant in the spring. The Tooth would be fun as well right now.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 05, 2020 5:34 pm 
Stephen B wrote:
Hiking Snoqualmie Peak or Guye can be quite pleasant in the spring. The Tooth would be fun as well right now.
True, but technically there isn't any place to legally park along the Alpental road and the Snow Lake TH is still closed by the USFS. So cars parked along the road are still subject to towing. I don't know if Alpental lots/Snow Lake TH is roped off, but even it isn't cars parked there are still subject to citation.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue May 05, 2020 5:50 pm 
Randito wrote:
Stephen B wrote:
Hiking Snoqualmie Peak or Guye can be quite pleasant in the spring. The Tooth would be fun as well right now.
True, but technically there isn't any place to legally park along the Alpental road and the Snow Lake TH is still closed by the USFS. So cars parked along the road are still subject to towing. I don't know if Alpental lots/Snow Lake TH is roped off, but even it isn't cars parked there are still subject to citation.
The road between Denny and Alpental is snowed over. Some are parking there were it is clearly marked "no parking". Could be construed as a gray area now, but seems risky to me, and I was just commenting that some are parking there. Obviously the main road has a lot of no parking with WAC, Sahalee etc and signage. I didn't check the other side of the freeway where snowshoers park when accessing the PCT trailhead on foot (Commonwealth Basin)

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 05, 2020 10:06 pm 
Randito wrote:
Stephen B wrote:
Very short bike ride from legal parking though. smile.gif

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed May 06, 2020 8:52 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Very short bike ride from legal parking though. smile.gif
True. I'm always paranoid about leaving my bike near any TH. Even Monte Cristo (which has a bike rack) is close enough to the road to make me nervous. Snoqualmie pass seems super sketch, though I did hide a bike there once when doing a loop hike over Melakwa pass, intending to ride back to my car at Denny creek after the loop around Gem and Snow.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 06, 2020 9:00 am 
Tuesday May 5, 2020 17:38 PDT WDFW WEEKENDER REPORT A message from WDFW Director Kelly Susewind Today, some fishing, hiking, and hunting opportunities are reopening, and WDFW staff are working across the state to open gates and welcome you back to your public lands. It's a very exciting day. With your attentiveness, I believe we can safely spend spring and summer in the outdoors enjoying the activities that bring us joy. To do this, we must remain vigilant about physical distancing, and we must engage in responsible recreation. To be very clear, a flattening and declining COVID-19 trendline is the best possible news for all of us. Please review our guidelines below, and then let's do our part together to help beat this illness back. Please be patient as we continue to assess our ability to reopen several remaining closures – notably coastal opportunities, halibut and shrimp, and camping on WDFW lands. Please check our COVID response webpage regularly for updates. Access to nature is opening again, and we could not be more excited. Take care, Kelly Susewind, WDFW Director Find outdoor activities close to home; recreate responsibly this May This May, our Weekender Regional Reports highlight opportunities that encourage you to rediscover your local water access site or wildlife area as you explore your public lands. We'll keep these reports updated throughout the month to provide current information about local recreational opportunities. Here's what you need to know before you head out to enjoy #ResponsibleRecreation in Washington: Check what's open. While state-managed lands are now open for day-use, many other local, tribal, and federal lands are still closed. Check first to avoid a wasted trip. Rediscover local sites. Travel is not recommended, and state lands are not open to overnight camping currently, so opt for day trips close to home. Head out with family and roommates. Recreate with immediate household members only to avoid exposing yourself and others to COID-19. Go prepared. You may notice limited restroom services as we begin the process to reopen wildlife areas and water access sites. Come prepared with your own toilet paper, soap, water, and hand sanitizer, and wash your hands often. Be ready to pack it in, and pack it out. Enjoy the outdoors when healthy. If you have symptoms of fever, coughing, or shortness of breath, stay home and enjoy the outdoors another day. Avoid crowds. Be prepared to go somewhere else or come back another time if your destination looks crowded. Practice physical distancing. Keep six feet between you and those outside of your household. Cover your face if you end up close to others. You can find more information about current closures and responsible recreation on our blog. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed May 06, 2020 9:23 am 
Heh.. We went to the reiter ponds hatchery yesterday evening. The wdfw guy was literally opening the gate and welcomed us! Actually he closed the gate after he drove through, but he did say that they where open. There was still a sigh saying closed at the far end of the lot that they didnt take down yet. Still a little confused on the rest of the reiter area. Is it just wallace falls that is closed, or still all of the foothills? The closed sign is still at the parking for gold bar boulders.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 06, 2020 11:11 am 
Stephen B wrote:
True. I'm always paranoid about leaving my bike near any TH. Even Monte Cristo (which has a bike rack) is close enough to the road to make me nervous. Snoqualmie pass seems super sketch, though I did hide a bike there once when doing a loop hike over Melakwa pass, intending to ride back to my car at Denny creek after the loop around Gem and Snow.
I won't leave my bike out of my sight unless it's at home. I've been meaning to get a cheap one on CL for this kind of purpose. Would also be useful for river rafting with one car.