Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snow levels
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eaglecadd

Eaglecadd
PostWed May 06, 2020 12:14 pm 
He All, I am trying to get some current data on Olympics snow levels. Anyone been out in the high country? Thanks

Hike until you Drop!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tomlike

Tomlike
PostWed May 06, 2020 1:11 pm 
Sentinel-hub is your friend!

gb

gb
PostWed May 06, 2020 2:49 pm 
Hurricane still shows 71" but the webcam and warm winter suggest there is not much snow at about 4000' or so except maybe north facing bowls and gullies.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed May 06, 2020 2:52 pm 
The network of SNO-TEL sites provides snow amounts data Sadly for you there are only a few stations in the Olympics. The Buckinghorse station at 4870 ft on the NE side of the range reported 88 inches of snow depth today, down from 119 inches 30 days ago.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 06, 2020 3:31 pm 
that satellite sentinel thingy is your friend. however...it seems to be cumbersome megabyte friendly too.... another way to answer. Roads seem to be in the 2600 foot to 3000 foot covered with snow. backcountry is probably in the average of 3000-3500 to experience snow. I suspect that number will go higher after this weekend....

Art is an adventure.
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed May 06, 2020 4:57 pm 
Check WTA for recent TRs. Here's one from two weeks ago with photos from 5,000 ft https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-04-22-4873398587

Eaglecadd

Eaglecadd
PostWed May 06, 2020 6:22 pm 
Great! Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Hike until you Drop!
gb

gb
PostWed May 06, 2020 7:28 pm 
This was from April 17th and lots of snow has melted since then: Dosewallips: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-05-05-4990823840 The trail to Graywolf Pass is at 15 miles (new distance+-) and 3600'. This trip two week old trip report would have shown snow around Deception Creek. I am sure now you could go beyond the Graywolf Pass junction. It snows a lot more in the Dosewallips area than in the Graywolf, Dungeness, Quilcene area. So, the snowline there would be quite a bit higher. likely there would be just a patch or two on the road to Townsend (3500'). I suspect there would be extensive snow patches as you approach the waterfall.

Brian R

Brian R
PostThu May 07, 2020 9:35 pm 
Eagle, I climbed to the top of Mount Ellinor today starting at Big Creek Campground, 900'. (The road to the higher THs is gated at the bottom.) I ran into solid, continuous snow at 4100.' Almost none below that. Remember, mostly south-facing terrain on this route. Hope this helps.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostFri May 08, 2020 11:07 am 
Brian R wrote:
Eagle, I climbed to the top of Mount Ellinor today starting at Big Creek Campground, 900'. (The road to the higher THs is gated at the bottom.) I ran into solid, continuous snow at 4100.' Almost none below that. Remember, mostly south-facing terrain on this route. Hope this helps.
What were the snow condtions like as the warming trend hit? snow was soft with much postholing yesterday in the Darrington area (continuous above 3000')

Brian R

Brian R
PostFri May 08, 2020 5:07 pm 
Pretty solid, no post-holes. No evidence of recent climbers, I kicked steps all the way up the winter chute. Very solid near the chute top, I had to double and triple kick some steps here. I had poles, but an ice axe would have been preferred here. Weird, the plateau on top was a bit mushy, ankle-deep, as were the two humps below the top. The view into the interior range was snowy and spectacular. There were tracks visible on the upper ridge of Mount Washington.