Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 05, 2020 9:28 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Ah don’t worry you can take out those bees with a .45.
Dang, Im not even that good a shot! This situation isnt going to move people to "Start" hiking who never hiked before. Either you have the passion, or you dont. If this drives people outside it will be low impact/low energy activities. Generally speaking people are lazy and getting lazier as more and more activities keep them indoors. I helped raise my nephew and started him hiking at age 4. Every year he hiked with me multiple times a summer until he could drive and would also go on his own. He's told me many times how his friends wont go with him because "Its too hard". Nothing was too hard for me when I was 18. LOL. doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 05, 2020 10:31 am 
Randito wrote:
Strava Heat Map is a useful tool for knowing what areas to avoid.
up.gif https://www.strava.com/heatmap#8.00/-121.46144/47.75173/hot/all Anyone who isn't familiar, this is an excellent tool. It's free to all, you can only zoom in so far though until you have to log in. An account is free. In normal times, this is a great place to find new roads to ride (or run) on, if they're popular there's usually a good reason for it. In the time of COVID, it's a good tool for finding places that will probably be more crowded, so you know what to ignore.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue May 05, 2020 12:32 pm 
The backcountry will be a zoo. Definitely stay home and tell everyone else to follow suit. up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 05, 2020 6:01 pm 
I can hardly wait for incidents over social distancing and masks, etc in the zoo around the more popular destinations.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 05, 2020 6:12 pm 
All these predictions, and then it could be another smoked out summer. Brush fires have popped up today around Wenatchee.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed May 06, 2020 4:48 pm 
If it's another smoggy summer at least we'll all already have our masks and buffs ready. smile.gif

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed May 06, 2020 11:15 pm 
Its gonna be another hot, windy, dry sun soaked summer pushin' hard up high angle slopes of loose dust deep in the burn zones of the Eastern slopes of the cascs. Waterless approaches, heavy gain. Long ascents. Horsepackin' groups kickin' up dust on the trail ahead. Think smoke, extreme heat, sheer exhaustion. Sheer misery! Coughing! Inhaling dust! Burnt, cracked lips startin' to bleed. Extreme conditions only recommended for top tier competitors. Basically if you're not prepared for this type of thing, remain on the sidelines.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed May 06, 2020 11:28 pm 
I sure hope so. It'll make that dip in the lake at the end all the sweeter wink.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 07, 2020 12:26 am 
With the US mountains app, one can explore back county lakes and alternate trails to said lakes. You are not likely to see many people, unless we mention it here. I will mention one though, Cougar Lake...and if I ever make it there I hope to see a Cougar and not any Humans....Social Distancing done easy, lol. Just Go to Goat, you aren't likely to find me there, although it is a nice hike with some awesome old growth cedar and falls. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 07, 2020 6:34 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I will mention one though, Cougar Lake...and if I ever make it there I hope to see a Cougar
Hey there CJ, Id like to tag along if youre going to "Cougar" it. Ive been into all the lakes around there but never made it to Cougar. Tried once a long time ago, chose probably the wrong approach.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu May 07, 2020 7:26 am 
Close popular hikes and limit group sizes to three? Build more fitness trails along i90 for the future??? Mailbox should be a sign of over use? With all the parking drama, isn't that a sign that we NEED another fitness trails (trails as in plural)! And Si.... wow that place should be number one on the list of closures next to Rattlesnake Ledge! I plan to get back off trail and go for obscure this year. I live in the city why would I want to hike where there's a bunch of people??? Not safe anymore.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu May 07, 2020 8:02 am 
Hey Chief, could you share more info about the US Mountains app? Having trouble tracking it down and I'm curious about it.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu May 07, 2020 9:58 am 
There will definitely be more people camping near their car. People will want to get away. People are going to be cautious with their money. They won't travel in the planes...and not solely because of virus spreading...but because of $$$$ and economic uncertainty. So what is the alternative? For example, some people like almond milk. What happens, when almond milk skyrockets in price or becomes scarce? People will look to cows milk as an alternative if the price and availability are there. It is called the "Economics Law of Substitution", or "Economic Law of Maximum Satisfaction"....and it will happen this summer with people wanting to "take time off from their thoughts"

Art is an adventure.
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostThu May 07, 2020 10:04 am 
I honestly wouldn’t worry about it so much. I’ve worked in the cellular industry and talk to 50-60 people a day and Believe it or not, most people especially in the Seattle area aren’t extravagant adventurers. Most average people want to do hikes like snow lake or rattlesnake ledge. Find some thick brush to bushwhack and do some cross country travel and you can easily find solitude....unless it’s the weekend, then you’re probably out of luck. Lol

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 07, 2020 11:21 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I will mention one though, Cougar Lake...and if I ever make it there I hope to see a Cougar
Hey there CJ, Id like to tag along if youre going to "Cougar" it. Ive been into all the lakes around there but never made it to Cougar. Tried once a long time ago, chose probably the wrong approach.
Using the App last year on the Bedal creek trail, it appeared that Cougar was about a mile E as the crow flies. Which route did you try, I think one way is via the Sloan climbers trail. I conversed with Shroder about it a few years ago but don't recall what he advised.
zimmertr wrote:
Hey Chief, could you share more info about the US Mountains app? Having trouble tracking it down and I'm curious about it.
My hiking partner told me about it, I just went to the App store on my I-phone and found it there. It's a great app, it identifies lakes and mountains, including distance away, elevation, etc.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.