Forum Index > Trail Talk > Crowding in the backcountry - summer of 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dixon

dixon
PostThu May 07, 2020 11:33 am 
Brucester wrote:
I live in the city why would I want to hike where there's a bunch of people???
Couldn't agree more. There seems to be a new style of outdoors individual who recreate for the social aspect of it. Perhaps a big group looks better on "Insta" vs a solo selfie? Anyone have any inside knowledge on what the National Parks like Rainier may implement to control the crowds? The White River side was really busy last year, especially areas like Frying Pan creek where there are only a handful of spaces, at White River you have climbers, day hikers and campground folks all competing for the same resources.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 07, 2020 11:41 am 
dixon wrote:
Brucester wrote:
I live in the city why would I want to hike where there's a bunch of people???
Couldn't agree more. There seems to be a new style of outdoors individual who recreate for the social aspect of it. Perhaps a big group looks better on "Insta" vs a solo selfie? Anyone have any inside knowledge on what the National Parks like Rainier may implement to control the crowds? The White River side was really busy last year, especially areas like Frying Pan creek where there are only a handful of spaces, at White River you have climbers, day hikers and campground folks all competing for the same resources.
Maybe herd mentality, as in "Safety in numbers"? Plus trails that are easy to access like Lake 22, et all are going to be much more crowded than more remote trails on longish rough roads. One reason I want to get an E-bike but am reluctant due to the cost.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 07, 2020 12:30 pm 
dixon wrote:
Couldn't agree more. There seems to be a new style of outdoors individual who recreate for the social aspect of it. Perhaps a big group looks better on "Insta" vs a solo selfie?
It's just nice to be with friends.

Silas

Silas
PostThu May 07, 2020 1:00 pm 
Azure Lake, July 2020.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu May 07, 2020 1:11 pm 
I'm offerin' tourist group packages in the north cascs startin' June 15. Akin to the photos 'bove. Chargin' a heavy penny per head. BRING YOUR OWN GEAR AND FOOD. not my problem or responsibility to provide!! And KEEP UP!! if you fall behind I'm leavin' you behind. Not my responsibility. I'm chargin' $500 a night. Max group size is 50. Min group size is 35. Gon' be makin' BIG bucks off this sudden backcountry crowding! What you have to understand here is that I am extremely creative in comin' up with this plan and will FULLY capitalize and monetize

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 07, 2020 1:56 pm 
The apps name is US mountains peaks and hills.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 07, 2020 2:17 pm 
dixon wrote:
Anyone have any inside knowledge on what the National Parks like Rainier may implement to control the crowds?
No, but having observed the policies and practices of various administrations at Olympic and Mt. Rainier National Parks, as far as "controlling the crowds", I would posit that the answer would be "they will." They will most likely move very slowly and cautiously, as is their usual pattern, and if areas are abused or overcrowded, odds are they'll simply shut them down. And they have the statutory authority to write citations, which the LEO staff at MRNP seems fond of doing. It's possible this might be a good year to take up another hobby, like... needlepoint or stamp collecting or some other activity that is done from home. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 08, 2020 5:57 am 
OOPS! Different Cougar. I was talking about Big Cougar lake up Lennox Creek. I see what youre talking about though. It seems from the map that there is a trail up Cougar Creek that you could peel off up around the 3600' mark and travel up to the lakes.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri May 08, 2020 11:25 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
OOPS! Different Cougar. I was talking about Big Cougar lake up Lennox Creek. I see what youre talking about though. It seems from the map that there is a trail up Cougar Creek that you could peel off up around the 3600' mark and travel up to the lakes.
Yes. Shroder confirmed that. I was hoping one could access via Bedal creek and avoid crossing the Sauk, but he said it would likely be a difficult scramble over Bedal Peak. So will have to wait till water levels drop. What about Helena lake? I made it to Windom lake a few years ago and last year tried again, but picked a poor route, got cliffed out and rain was coming, so failed. I want to try again thoigh.

dixon

dixon
PostFri May 08, 2020 12:57 pm 
siaumell wrote:
Azure Lake, July 2020.
Hilarious! Saw this trip report earlier for Dirty Harrys Balcony, never seen it this packed on a weekday before with cars under the bridge like this ... shakehead.gif https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-05-08-9670936958

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostFri May 08, 2020 3:14 pm 
dixon wrote:
Hilarious! Saw this trip report earlier for Dirty Harrys Balcony, never seen it this packed on a weekday before with cars under the bridge like this ... shakehead.gif https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-05-08-9670936958
I imagine this was a lot of rock climbers going to Exit 38, that’s a huge draw at that trailhead. I’m sure there were some hikers going to Dirty Harry’s but I bet it wasn’t as bad once you get past the crags.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri May 08, 2020 4:19 pm 
Ever hear of the Cloud Peak Wilderness? No? I'm not surprised. Only reason I know about it is because once upon a time we lived in northern Wyoming and covered at least some of those trails on horseback. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=44.411874,-107.228966&zoom=13&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostSun May 10, 2020 2:26 pm 
Baker Lake Road has way heavier traffic than I’ve ever seen. Parking lot at end if road was jammed (never seen it more than half full). Trail surprisingly quiet and Noisy Creek was full but not as crowded as I expected. Random gunfire in distance at night. So lots of people out tooling around and ghetto car camping but trails not yet overwhelmed.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 11, 2020 8:54 am 
Jeez BPJ you had to go and blow the cover. I was happy to see 'em talking about the wrong Cougar. cool.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 11, 2020 9:04 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Baker Lake Road has way heavier traffic than I’ve ever seen. Parking lot at end if road was jammed (never seen it more than half full). Trail surprisingly quiet and Noisy Creek was full but not as crowded as I expected. Random gunfire in distance at night. So lots of people out tooling around and ghetto car camping but trails not yet overwhelmed.
As noted in the covid thread the gorge was a zoo when I left on Sat morning. Then on the way back yesterday very empty roads. On my 115 mile return trip I saw one car in my lane the entire way. Wild times.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers