Forum Index > Trail Talk > Middle Fork Road closure update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tlake

tlake
PostTue May 05, 2020 10:34 am 
Middle fork is closed at Valley Camp to cars.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue May 05, 2020 12:56 pm 
Sounds like there's a new (somewhat small) slide between Mailbox and Mine Creek.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue May 05, 2020 6:27 pm 
Can confirm its closed at the Valley Camp junction. I had dinner at that gate in the back if my Subaru a few nights ago with my girlfriend. We were hoping to drive somewhere scenic to eat to get away from the house lol. It was kinda nice. We ordered a three course meal from Pasta Freska.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed May 06, 2020 2:27 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Sounds like there's a new (somewhat small) slide between Mailbox and Mine Creek.
Someone else heard this from the DNR as well. It's not true. There was a small amount of dirt that washed down onto the road near Mine Creek in February, but that was really minor and was cleaned up at least a month ago -- it was causing drainage issues.
Small slide across from Island Drop
Small slide across from Island Drop
The repairs are almost complete. A crew member I talked to said they would be done Thursday so it's a good bet the Middle Fork road will be completely open this coming weekend. But plans keep changing so maybe not. I'm really excited to be able to drive up the road again after a 6 month hiatus. As of Tuesday afternoon there were barriers just past the Mailbox trailhead (with a King County worker present) and a second barrier with a lock at the Pratt River Bar. On May 5, the day DNR lands opened the barriers were moved up the road from Valley Camp to the Mailbox parking lot at about noon because so many people were parking along the road and walking in to hike Mailbox Peak.
Closure at Mailbox trailhead. The King County vehicle is there to let construction vehicles through.
Closure at Mailbox trailhead. The King County vehicle is there to let construction vehicles through.
Reminder: Goldmyer is closed. And there are three creek crossings along the gravel road to the Dingford trailhead that require a high clearance vehicle.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed May 06, 2020 2:39 pm 
Thanks so much for the continued updates, puzzlr. This is great news.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed May 06, 2020 2:47 pm 
How exciting that Middle Fork may open up right as Summer is starting! So many great early season hikes in that area.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri May 08, 2020 9:42 am 
I wasn't there myself, but I heard the Middle Fork road was opened on Thursday. The Mailbox parking situation was crazy - every legal parking spot was filled with other cars cruising up and down while waiting for one to open up. That doesn't mean people aren't being careful, but there's a lot of pent up demand for the popular trails. I'd avoid going there this sunny weekend if you want a relaxed outdoor experience. [Edit] Found a FB photo from Thursday

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri May 08, 2020 10:05 am 
Thanks for the info! I'm more interested in places like Marten Lake and the Dingford area myself which are a little less traveled. I'm sure things will settle back to a normal summer population in the wilderness in a month. I never visit those popular hikes anyway. I've never even been up Si. I did Rattlesnake once with 200 other people and that was enough for a lifetime.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri May 08, 2020 10:36 am 
Last night I posted the following on a different thread relating to closures. Wolffie had asked about the Middle Fork road. Quote:
wolffie wrote:
Is the Middle Fork Snoqualmie road physically open?
I see the conflicting reports, but I just was there today. They were still doing some roadwork east of the landslide area this morning. There was a County truck guarding the gate (edit added: across from Mailbox parking) to keep out vehicular traffic around 10:30 am today. I had parked near the middle school and rode my mountain bike in. We chatted briefly and he said they expected to open very soon today or tomorrow. When I passed the Mailbox parking area all the spots on the road were filled up and there were cars parked along the road to the upper parking lot. It was busy. Then I went on to the Taylor River/Middle Fork junction had lunch and then biked the six miles to Dingford Creek trailhead. That's one heck of a rough ride/walk at times journey. That's for another story. Meanwhile, I made it to Dingford, ate the rest of my lunch, headed back and met a couple in an SUV coming in. They said that the gate was now open. When I got to Taylor River area again, there were a half a dozen or so vehicles at that junction, some setting up camp. On my bike ride back to the middle school area, I saw well over a dozen vehicles up and down the road. It was between 5 and 6 pm by the time I got back. Looks very open to me. ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri May 08, 2020 10:41 am 
zimmertr wrote:
Thanks for the info! I'm more interested in places like Marten Lake and the Dingford area myself which are a little less traveled.
I may write a brief trip report on the ride/walk along NF 5620 from Taylor River to the Dingford Creek trailhead. It was quite an adventure on a mountain bike. Plus those washouts that cross the road are now even more brutal in a couple of spots. ~z

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri May 08, 2020 12:53 pm 
zephyr wrote:
I may write a brief trip report on the ride/walk along NF 5620 from Taylor River to the Dingford Creek trailhead.
Please do!

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostFri May 08, 2020 6:27 pm 
The MFK is indeed open as far as King County is concerned. The closure notice on the official website is gone as of today. I have made several trips back there in the past few weeks. The road to Dingford is indeed horrid. To drive all the way to the Dingford gate you will need a 4WD short wheel base with some ground clearance. Don't go to Goldmyer. They don't want any visitors until this Covid19 thing is behind us. Going up the Taylor River side the trail is in good shape. I went to Otter Falls Tuesday. There are some rocky parts and a few stream crossings but nothing treacherous. Very little brush to deal with and no blow down trees blocking the trail.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri May 08, 2020 6:36 pm 
Thanks for the beta on Otter Falls! Maybe I'll take my girlfriend there this weekend. She's never been before.

mosey

mosey
PostFri May 08, 2020 10:50 pm 
Road was clear. Ledges at the end didn't have any blowdowns except one toppled root ball at the beginning. The rest of the steps near the lower ledges are in since I last visited and it's quite nice - looks like they are going to build a few more. Went up green mtn too recently and there're minimal blowdowns. A few handsawable ones. Edit: the promontory. For whatever reason i can't convince my partner to go up that steep ridge that starts with a talus scramble rolleyes.gif Thanks for the beta puzzlr! I drove in hopeful after noon.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri May 08, 2020 11:18 pm 
mosey wrote:
Went up green mtn
What do you mean by Green Mtn? Absolute Last Promontory? The climb to the top isn't something to add on to a Garfield Ledges hike smile.gif