Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 08, 2020 11:30 am 
treeswarper wrote:
... something about the Netherlands....
somebody on some website on the interwebz wrote:
Netherlands has a mean elevation of 98.5 feet (30 meters) above sea level and the lowest point is -7 meters at Zuidplaspolder, while the highest point is Mount Scenery reaching 2,877 feet (862 meters) above sea level.
Most of the urban areas in the Netherlands are on flat ground. The Netherlands is not Seattle. Or Tacoma. Or most anywhere else west of the Rockies.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri May 08, 2020 11:36 am 
Auda Mawhay wrote:
BigBrunyon wrote:
I'm gonna ride thru there faster than the car speed limit. They better get out of my way
horn
horn
lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 08, 2020 11:56 am 
Ski wrote:
Most of the urban areas in the Netherlands are on flat ground. The Netherlands is not Seattle. Or Tacoma. Or most anywhere else west of the Rockies.
For what it's worth, flat ground is boring to ride on, like it is to ski on. The uphill makes you stronger whether you like it or not, the downhill puts a smile on your face. Hills are good for views, too.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 08, 2020 12:35 pm 
That may well be true for avid cyclists, but for the rest of us, it makes using a bicycle exclusively as a means of transportation not a viable option And unfortunately, because of the way in which we've set up our infrastucture in this country, with residential housing developments far away from shopping centers and other necessities, the automobile has become a necessary evil. (And make no mistake - I spent my entire working career in the automotive industry, and I hate cars and all they stand for and all they did to this country - for far too many reasons to list here. I'm just trying to point out that the notion that bicycles are a viable option to replace the automobile in current-day America is folly.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm 
These maps cover 11 of the 20 miles currently closed. It sounds like more may follow.
Ballard
Ballard
West Seattle Delridge
West Seattle Delridge
Central District
Central District
Lake City
Lake City
Licton
Licton
I rode Holman Road once, it's a good thing they're closing a nearby road to guide cyclists away from this high speed high traffic route.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 08, 2020 4:06 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Ski wrote:
For what it's worth, flat ground is boring to ride on, like it is to ski on. The uphill makes you stronger whether you like it or not, the downhill puts a smile on your face. Hills are good for views, too.
Just because Holland is flat, don't assume the riding is easy peasy. There are often strong winds and unlike climbing a long grade with the sure knowledge of gliding back down, winds can die or even reverse direction. Developing the mental muscles to overcome boredom requires training just as developing physical muscles to ride or hike hills with enjoyment instead of dread.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 08, 2020 4:12 pm 
FWIW: I rode the 520 and I90 bridge paths today and through the new path in the arboretum and down Lake Washington blvd. Lovely and not crowded. Madrone park and beach had quite few sunbathers. Also the public restrooms at Madrona and Mercer Island Lid park were open.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 08, 2020 4:19 pm 
Ski wrote:
That's why we have....E-bikes! Hills are no longer an excuse.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Damian

Damian
PostFri May 08, 2020 5:52 pm 
Nice rig TS.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 08, 2020 5:55 pm 
I think the roads they're closing are generally flat, is that right? This isn't really for bike transportation, it's for recreation. Especially for kids. We close miles of Lake Washington Blvd on Sundays in the summer, families come from all of over the city, you'll see more kids on bikes there than anywhere else. Because their parents don't fear for their lives from cars. Even though part of the closure is open to local traffic. These new closures will be similar.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 08, 2020 6:10 pm 
Sounds like a great idea to me. Getting from 90 to 520 always seemed like Russian roulette only time it wasn’t bike Sunday. up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostFri May 08, 2020 8:59 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Lake City
Lake City
Licton
Licton
The Lake City streets marked have been loaded with speed bumps for a while so it was already like they didn't want people driving those streets. As far as the Licton area, Fremont is already the route of the interurban south of 110th. Loads of speed bumps and south of 105th there is a roundabout with East/West stop signs at almost every intersection. 100th is more recent, in the last year they've put a ton of suspension breaking speedbumps and made it hard to get on or off the street at Aurora and Greenwood. Before the virus I rarely saw anybody using these streets, not sure how it is now but I'm sure the traffic is up. Again they seemed to already not want anyone driving these roads beforehand. In the last couple years they've really made it clear that they don't want cars driving on the side streets, yet they can't upgrade to modern stoplights to improve flow and keep people off the side streets. Some of those roads are full of potholes and need to be replaced (Dayton between 125th and 117th) but instead of spending money on that they install dozens of speedbumps every day (exaggeration). Also what's with spending money on installing roundabouts and then later turning them into a four way stop? Seems like some really poor planning.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 08, 2020 9:11 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Sounds like a great idea to me. Getting from 90 to 520 always seemed like Russian roulette only time it wasn’t bike Sunday. up.gif
??? Bicycle Sunday never closed that section of Lake Washington blvd -- The section from Mt Baker Beach to Seward Park is the section closed on Bicycle Sunday's. The bicycle Sundays are fantastic for families with kids still learning how to ride. In general. I've found that the roads in Seattle that are "Olmstead Legacy" roads have less "Entitled Driver" issues than roads in Seattle generally -- unfortunately in Seattle, Redmond and Bellevue there are too many drivers that seem to think that having to slow down for 30 seconds in order to safely pass a cyclist is a crime against humanity.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 08, 2020 9:19 pm 
You are probably right I was mixing it up with Ottawa where there were parallel trails (always crowded) on Sunday the closed the roads and the fast bikers took the roads. I haven’t did the loop since they opened the 520 bike lane. I just remembered getting to the BG Trail from 90 was always the pits. Hey, at least when I am wrong I admit it right away rather that making 9 posts saying black is white. redface.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 09, 2020 7:55 am 
The connection between Leschi and the Burke-Gilman has been improved in recent years. There is now a bike trail through the arboretum and a very new pathway through the Montlake/ 520 construction zone. There are still a bit of no shoulder road riding, but far less than 5 years ago.