Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:53 pm 
Opus wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Anything I need to know about buying a new one? I know a bit about bikes, but very little about cars.
I bought my last battery at Costco. They'll look up what make and model you have to make sure they sell the correct battery. I installed it myself, it was very easy. If you go that route you pay a disposal fee up front which is refunded when you return the dead battery for recycling.
Most batteries should last 5-7 years, if your car sits for more then say a week at a time, you might want to purchase a plug in or solar trickle charger. I buy my batteries either at Fred Meyer (they carry Interstate batteries and I get a 15% discount) or at Pacific Power Batteries. PPB has a great selection of products, good quality and customer service. O' Reilly auto parts actually pays you $10 (or a gift card) for a used car battery and PPB I think pays $8.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 7:41 am 
What annoys me most about the Gazelle is locking it up. I bought a spendy fold up lock that is better suited for a high crime area. Yesterday, I had to run an errand. My bike is a step thru and has a fat tube that the battery is in. It took (and often does) me longer to lock up the bike than to go in and complete the mission. Bike racks are few here so I was locking it to a handrail. I think I'll switch back to a cable or......the bike has a doohickey made for a plug in cable that they sell and it works with the lock the wheel thing and battery key. Sorry for the technical jargon. The bike has a wheel lock built into it so thieves have to carry the bike after cutting the other lock. It can't be ridden away when the wheel lock is engaged.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 05, 2020 9:29 pm 
New 2 second PR today: 1,043 watts. smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 05, 2020 10:06 pm 
I ordered a Frey CC back in January when they were offering a group US buy with discounted shipping. Was supposed to arrive last month but COVID-19 had other ideas. Still only a few weeks late, hats of to them. Took a few pictures in the back yard before the thunderstorms chased me inside. Weather is supposed to be gorgeous later this week so should have a chance to put it thru its paces.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed May 06, 2020 7:54 am 
That’s quite the back yard, Tom. So how many e bikes do you have?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 06, 2020 9:32 am 
That looks like an arboretum!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 06, 2020 12:59 pm 
Thanks, the back yard is pretty stunning for a couple weeks of the year until nature takes its course and the blooms fall off.
Riverside Laker wrote:
So how many e bikes do you have?
Purchased a total of 5, but 3 of those were BH Rebel Lites that I snagged on closeout (just under $1K shipped) to offer to NWHikers. Already sold one to a member here, but still have two medium Rebel Lites, one of which I'll probably keep. I ended up taking the blue 29er on grocery runs until my CC arrived and it will probably become my go to logging road bike. Much easier to put in the back of the SUV at 48 pounds. The CC is 73 pounds and not sure I'd want to leave it in the woods.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 06, 2020 1:26 pm 
Tom wrote:
Much easier to put in the back of the SUV at 48 pounds.
I really noticed a difference when we loaded the Gazelle at 49 pounds and the Radmini at 60 or so pounds in the back of the pickup.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 06, 2020 10:44 pm 
https://www.iqsquare.com/ Incredibly priced power meters for SPD and Keo. Compatible with any bike. I assume eBikes are the same as regular ones in that you use whatever pedals you like. (Do eBikes come with pedals?)

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 07, 2020 6:32 am 
You got your Frey Tom. Well give it up, what do you think? Compare it to my Blade 1.0. You rode that bike last fall. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun May 10, 2020 8:17 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I've been on 5-6 rides with the Garmin Varia and like it. However, I'm a Froomey and look at the Wahoo Bolt head unit a lot. It's not super bright but in the recent sun it's easy to see. I can hear the beeps ok but my hearing is good. You may not be too happy with it.
Does the Varia drain your Wahoo battery especially quickly?

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun May 10, 2020 11:03 pm 
I haven’t noticed a big degradation in battery life. But I’ve not done any 12 hour rides either. Anyway, so far I’m pleased.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon May 11, 2020 4:40 pm 
Cyclopath, I just rode a metric century, which took 5 hours with lounging at a couple of places. Sure was nice out today (Kayak Point, Warm Beach). I have four sensors on the Wahoo Bolt: speed, cadence, heart rate and the Varia. Battery went from about 80% to 40%.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 11, 2020 8:44 pm 
I like mine a lot too. Glad to have got it while it was on sale. 🙂 My Garmin battery has been draining extra quickly in bike mode since I got the radar. If I had known ahead of time I might have got a cheap Edge to go with it. Probably still better off the way I am though.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 12, 2020 11:44 am 
Anyone in here using Di2? I have a battery to give away. It's the one that comes with the previous generation Ultegra group, fits in the seat tube, and doesn't have the brains to drive synchronous shifting. It's never been used, and is good for 1,000 to 1,500 miles per charge. Get in touch if you'd like it.