Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's your favorite TH?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSun May 10, 2020 4:04 pm 
Back when you could still drive to it, the Dutch Miller Gap trailhead. You had to really want to get to it, and it was a jumping off point for some really gorgeous high country.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 10, 2020 6:51 pm 
Sams River Loop Trail 01
Sams River Loop Trail 01

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostSun May 10, 2020 6:56 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
Back when you could still drive to it, the Dutch Miller Gap trailhead. You had to really want to get to it, and it was a jumping off point for some really gorgeous high country.
It still is...now you just have to really really want to get to it hockeygrin.gif

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun May 10, 2020 7:08 pm 
You know its a good trailhead when several serious looking groups as well as solo competitors are sizing each other up in the parking lot, eyin' up the playin' field for the day's work ahead.

rossb

rossb
PostSun May 10, 2020 7:55 pm 
I like paved trailheads. It is just easier for me to set my crap down on the ground, and not worry about dirt. So that narrows it down. Artist Point is gorgeous, but often too crowded for my taste. Likewise with Paradise. I think I'll go with Sunrise, right when it opens (typically around the Fourth of July). Not everyone is willing to stomp in the snow, or ski. It is probably even nicer for the folks who bike it before the lot officially opens. I've never done that, but considered renting an e-bike for that very purpose (and strapping the skis on the bike).

bullfrog

bullfrog
PostMon May 11, 2020 7:56 am 
Cascade Pass would have to be Number 1 since the scenery is so spectacular. You can take non-hikers along and they can wallow in the wilderness while you tackle the pass. There may even be a ranger talk. For backpacking, the Stevens Pass trailhead for the PCT northbound is pretty sweet because you go downhill for a few miles on old railroad grade. It's a great warm up if you have a heavy pack.

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon May 11, 2020 9:58 am 
Another mention for Elkhart, but as I recall there is a big downhill followed by a huge uphill. Not easy if you arrived by air from low elevation the day prior.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 11, 2020 10:41 am 
One that stands out for me is the Sunrise Mine-Vesper TH...you get an amazing view of the peaks on the road in. Then you have a nice climb through the forest, cross the headwaters of the SF Stilly then it opens up to a steeper climb up into Wirtz basin. On a hot day there will be cold air descending from the small ice caves above. I need to get back up to Vesper this year or maybe try Sperry.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon May 11, 2020 11:20 am 
I like THs that are remote, 4wd-only, unimproved, and uninteresting. Keeps the crowds down and the clouters away.
Washakie wrote:
Another mention for Elkhart, but as I recall there is a big downhill followed by a huge uphill. Not easy if you arrived by air from low elevation the day prior.
I don't remember Elkhart that way. I remember 4 or 5 miles of modest uphill followed by a few miles of undulating downhill then a few miles of undulating uphill. Regardless, it was indeed not easy having driven from sea level the day prior. smile.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 11, 2020 11:25 am 
s
H. Hound wrote:
Second that. Great drive made for a remote TH experience, lot of room, starting point for many epics. Setting the e brake and turning off the engine meant you were about to have an incredible trip and hardly ever see anyone.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 11, 2020 11:50 am 
Elkhart does have a big downhill followed by a big uphill, if you head left towards Bridger lakes instead of taking the Pole Creek trail towards Titcomb basin.

Washakie

Washakie
PostTue May 12, 2020 11:10 am 
Thanks Slugman. I was begining to think my memory was failing along with my eyesight.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue May 12, 2020 2:57 pm 
texasbb wrote:
I like THs that are remote, 4wd-only, unimproved, and uninteresting. Keeps the crowds down and the clouters away.
When I backpacked in the Bighorn Crags in Idaho, the TH/campground at road's end was 60 miles from the nearest pavement. Dirt roads started out good but got fairly rough the further I went. CG host noted it kept the riff raff away. Can't imagine that trail has a problem with clouters.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed May 13, 2020 12:47 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
When I backpacked in the Bighorn Crags in Idaho, the TH/campground at road's end was 60 miles from the nearest pavement. Dirt roads started out good but got fairly rough the further I went. CG host noted it kept the riff raff away. Can't imagine that trail has a problem with clouters.
Doesn't keep the Boy Scouts away though. When I was there 3 years ago, the place was crawling with them. Nice kids but not the most remote backcountry experience.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 13, 2020 1:32 pm 
Slim wrote:
Doesn't keep the Boy Scouts away though. When I was there 3 years ago, the place was crawling with them. Nice kids but not the most remote backcountry experience.
Huh. Unfortunate timing I guess. It felt very remote when I was there.