Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail and Park Openings
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat May 09, 2020 4:38 pm 
I am happy for everyone who is finally able to get out of the city, and I hope they enjoy themselves, but like CJ, I will be staying home on the ranch on the weekends!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat May 09, 2020 6:07 pm 
mike wrote:
Stay the #@%^ home! This parking lot is for a beach that is smaller than this parking lot!
Next time try reading the thread title. We do not need every single thread polluted by mean spirited ranting.

RichP

RichP
PostSat May 09, 2020 6:16 pm 
Went to Sunday Lake on the North Fork today and there were more cars than I've ever seen there. 12-15 and more were arriving as others were leaving. Not so long ago seeing even one car here was unusual. Several folks were headed in with overnight gear too. Lots of people out on the North Fork in general doing all kinds of activities. Couldn't cross the swollen Sunday Ck with a 6 year-old but we brought some tools and did some trailwork on the short spur that goes down to the main crossing which was pretty overgrown at the beginning and obscured from sight.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 09, 2020 6:58 pm 
People have felt cooped up, it's natural that there's a lot of pent up demand right now. And everything hasn't opened yet, so people are concentrated in places they can get to. If you expect crowding, you won't be disappointed to find it. It'll slowly get better.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat May 09, 2020 10:32 pm 
Not shaming. From gold bar to Steven's pass there where hundreds of cars parked along the highway. I suspect most where seeking a little river side solitude. Definitely an interesting sight to see. Heybrook had 4 cars, eagle falls was the only spot that seemed a little overcrowded. We decided to drive up the white pine. Road was rutted but passable to the trail head. Only 2 cars/ 3 other people on the trail. Trail was in good condition for the first couple miles. Very little/ sporadic snow at the last bit. Turned back at a stream crossing that would require debooting. Not deep, just no bridge. Could be good for someone looking to go up the chiwakums.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun May 10, 2020 10:22 am 
I rode my bike yesterday past Picnic Point, which had 3x as many cars as I've ever seen. Then to Edmonds where the waterfront had no parking and was nicely dispersed. Then to Richmond Beach park which also had no parking and was nicely dispersed.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun May 10, 2020 9:06 pm 
Look to see big reports come streamin' in tomorrow morning about thick crowds in various dispersed camping areas. Expect to hear stories about riverside beaches packed full of people! Tents 10-20 feet apart in the backcountry! People waiting in line with TP in hand to go to the bathroom behind a tree. lots of cigarettes

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostMon May 11, 2020 3:01 pm 
Spend the weekend along the Cascade River Road. While there seemed to be a lot of car traffic, it looked to be mostly of the touring variety as there weren't more than a standard-summer-weekend number of people dispersed camping. Hiking along the South Fork Cascade River Trail on Sunday featured only 3 trail runners and one mountain biker, so maybe everyone was going up to the gate at 18 mi and walking/biking along the road above that. Overall I was surprised that it wasn't busier.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon May 11, 2020 5:38 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Look to see big reports come streamin' in tomorrow morning about thick crowds in various dispersed camping areas.
Don't know about dispersed camping, but Mailbox Peak crowds got a mention on one of the local NPR stations. rolleyes.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue May 12, 2020 3:36 pm 
Highway 20 opened today! I'll see ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE at the Mazama Store on Saturday! Woohoo!!!!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue May 12, 2020 3:41 pm 
DON'T COUGH ON THE PASTRIES!! considered extremely rude

dixon

dixon
PostTue May 12, 2020 8:00 pm 
Does anyone know if the road to colonial creek off 20 is accessible? (Now that the lockdown is essentially over since nearly everyone is ignoring it)

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostTue May 12, 2020 8:19 pm 
Please, stay home. Stay healthy. Stay safe.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 13, 2020 10:06 am 
Yes, I think we should all stay home for a couple of years until we are absolutely sure that there is nothing outside that is out to get us. However, living in my shack, if a tree falls, I am toast. eek.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 13, 2020 1:35 pm 
N Fk Teanaway was full like Memorial Day weekend with dispersed campers. Lots were just hanging by the river at their camps so we saw a fairly typical number of hikers and skiers for this time of year right as the road opens to the end (it wasn't driveable except in very high clearance until Sunday, when anything except a super low slung car could clear the last big of snow to the parking at the end, which is technically still "closed" as it's a developed site there what with the pit toilet and picnic table but no enforcement of any sort was happening). Folks were giving each other plenty of room to pass on the trails and weren't crowding into scenes worthy of sensational media images (ideally to be shot with telephoto lenses to make everyone look more packed together than they really are ;-) ). The only yahoo move I saw was the crew that drove their sleds up the bare esmerelda trail, dislodging many basketball-ish sized rocks from the earth and tearing up vegetation where they veered off trail a bit to avoid trail obstacles. They went at least a half mile on mostly dirt/rock/vegetation before they got to any sort of sleddable snow (and even then they surely had a lot of earth to cross for a little ways further). I'm Ok with sleds having access to that area when it's snow covered but these folks were definitely stretching it past a reasonable point IMO. Seemed like a "cooped up and angry" sort of move... (and yes I know this trail is an old mining road - if they were able to just stay on the trail and not yank rocks from the holes they were embedded in up along the sidewalls of the trail and tearing up bushes and grass, I wouldn't have been as annoyed).