Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking with regards to snow level.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
luke123234

luke123234
PostWed May 13, 2020 9:56 pm 
Got any trails right now to backpack that dont have snow where you would camp at? I am fine with crossing ridge tops in the snow but not fine with snow camping right now.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rkjenner

rkjenner
PostMon May 18, 2020 8:03 pm 
We’re you thinking of a particular area of the state? I haven’t been up this year, but the Duckabush from Big Hump and beyond has had good spots in the past.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostMon May 18, 2020 8:10 pm 
East side of the mountains are more melted out than the West. In the Pasayten, snow starts at around 5000 to 600 feet depending on aspect.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 18, 2020 9:42 pm 
It is still ski season in most of the Cascades.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon May 18, 2020 10:47 pm 
I was hitting about 50-50 snow and not snow about 3700ft this week in South Cascades while in the the week before I did a hike further east by probably 15-20miles up to 4900 with very little snow. It depends a lot on area and sun exposure

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
luke123234

luke123234
PostTue May 19, 2020 11:19 am 
Appreciate the info. I found some good areas on Cal topo that we will check out. Just wanted to get a gage on the snow level.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 19, 2020 11:39 am 
The SnoTel system provides snow depth/water equivalent measurements across the west. The purpose of the system is predicting water availability for irrigation, but it is still useful for understanding how much snow you may encounter in an area. https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/wcc/home/quicklinks/imap#version=115&elements=&networks=!&states=!&counties=!&hucs=&minElevation=&maxElevation=&elementSelectType=all&activeOnly=true&activeForecastPointsOnly=false&hucLabels=false&hucIdLabels=false&hucParameterLabels=false&stationLabels=&overlays=&hucOverlays=&basinOpacity=100&basinNoDataOpacity=100&basemapOpacity=100&maskOpacity=0&mode=data&openSections=dataElement,parameter,date,basin,elements,location,networks&controlsOpen=false&popup=&popupMulti=&base=esriNgwm&displayType=station&basinType=6&dataElement=SNWD&depth=-8¶meter=OBS&frequency=DAILY&duration=I&customDuration=&dayPart=E&year=2020&month=5&day=18&monthPart=E&forecastPubMonth=5&forecastPubDay=1&forecastExceedance=50&seqColor=1&divColor=3&scaleType=D&scaleMin=&scaleMax=&referencePeriodType=POR&referenceBegin=1981&referenceEnd=2010&minimumYears=20&hucAssociations=true&lat=40.00&lon=-99.00&zoom=4.0

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue May 19, 2020 11:43 am 
I'm sure your probably aware of this, but creeks that are ankle deep in summer can be several feet deep if very frigid raging water this time of year, be careful with them. Unclip your hip sternum straps before crossings.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
luke123234

luke123234
PostTue May 19, 2020 12:23 pm 
good tool. I saw this a year or two ago and forgot that it even existed. Thanks for bringing light to it again. I will be careful on all stream crossings.