Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Centurylink is nothing but a bunch of crooks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu May 14, 2020 5:07 pm 
Trying to get a refund after they billed us 2 billing cycles after I cancelled by phone. Now they are supposedly processing one for this latest billing cycle, after which I have to call again and have them move the cancellation date back to before the April billing cycle. It could just be that they are incompetent beyond human potential, but there has to be some design it it fro the top that trains people to play the idiot so that the company can collect one last payment that they are not entitled to. Good thing I was doing this By phone because I was definitely in the mood to choke someone.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markod72

markod72
PostThu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm 
Due to automatic payment, my room mate didn't realize they were charging him quite a bit more each month. They had upped him to a faster speed. He was fine with that, however, they never sent the corresponding equipment to operate at the faster speed.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu May 14, 2020 5:36 pm 
The guy I spoke with had the gall to try to sell me more services. Like I said, I think this is more than just horrible customer service. When I called after the first cancellation call wasn’t processed, they tried to get me to stick with them even though the fastest internet they could offer me was 1/20th the speed that another provider could give.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm 
That's a new twist on internet service providers to keep revenue coming in, just keep charging the customer's credit card. The old scheme was never let the customer cancel. https://time.com/2985964/comcast-cancel-ryan-block/ Circumventing the old scheme was best facilitated by telling Comcast that you were moving to an address that you had previously researched that was outside Comcast's service area. You might call your credit card company and report these charges and demand they be reversed. This might involve canceling that CC number to prevent further charges.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu May 14, 2020 7:24 pm 
Randito wrote:
You might call your credit card company and report these charges and demand they be reversed. This might involve canceling that CC number to prevent further charges.
They told me they are refunding me the latest one, but I have to call some special number after I get it to get the cancel date pushed back. I might add that I get good reception at my house, but t guy in the other line had a Schmitty connection and I could hardly understand him with the accent on top of it. How can they provide service if their own connection is crap?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu May 14, 2020 7:58 pm 
Frontier Communications is another company known for this type of nefarious business practices.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu May 14, 2020 8:23 pm 
In a small community where I once lived, the actual local tech guy would give people his super secret phone number to call because CenturyTel's call center was so incompetent. They told me that there was a major outage, the tech guy said BS when he came to fix the line to my phone. That was the problem.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 14, 2020 8:41 pm 
I stopped doing business with Centurylink several years ago due to their arrogance and refusal to address issues regarding service and billing. A lot of people tell me I'm a Luddite (among other things) for still paying with checks and refusing to use debit cards, refusing to sign on to "automatic payment" schemes, or doing "electronic transfer" stuff, but it's for exactly the sort of things you describe above that I maintain total and complete control of my money in my bank account and nobody taps into it - ever. If you want to get paid, you do business my way, and there are no exceptions. When they turn on the "smart-ass" switch, and threaten litigation, I tell them to contact Northwest Audit and Adjustment Inc. and ask them how that worked out for them. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 15, 2020 4:19 am 
They are at best criminally arrogant and dismissal of their customers. At worst in fact criminals! If I had ANY other choice for internet where I live (I tried satellite) Id be using it. I received a letter asking me to join a lawsuit against CL. After all the reading and BS necessary to understand what I needed to do I found out the max judgement was 30.00. What a waste of time. They've stolen HUNDREDS from me in inaccurate billing practices. Soon after I received a survey form for CL. I gave zeros and ones to all the questions, and I wrote explanations for those answers. I dont expect anything from them at all.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri May 15, 2020 6:25 am 
mmmm.. never had a problem here with cl. and like ski I dont do autopay or paperless. checks for services like phone, utilities, insurance etc..cell phone is prepay cash at the grocery store where i buy the minutes. just wish there was someway to stop the scam callers from india!!

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri May 15, 2020 7:13 am 
I had similar struggles several days ago trying to cancel my land-line service. Over an hour on the phone with Centurytel. Passed from one person to another “Oh, I cant help with that - I’ll pass you onto the department that can”. Each time I got the same sales pitches “do you want our broadband”.... “may i have your email, so we offer you x?”. Then I got to the ‘refund department’ trying to get credit for about 1/3 of a month they owe me...”just one moment, sir...”. brrrzzz....click. I’m giving up - it’s worth $15 to have those jerks out of my hair. Abysmal service! Funny...the one phone maintenance guy here in the Methow is about the nicest, most personable guy you’d ever want to meet!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri May 15, 2020 10:06 am 
I recently got Hughes net for internet and after about a month the installation tech showed up at my place asking if I was having problems with me service? I said no it's working fine. He said, that's funny this is the second bogus call they have sent me on today. He said maybe they are trying to make money since a service call is about $120. Luckily the tech is an awesome guy and worked very hard to get a signal at my property for both dish tv and hughes net, and I asked for and received his private number just in case.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri May 15, 2020 11:06 am 
Since I never had cable TV, I must have been one of the last people in Seattle who got their internet over the copper phone wires. (Yeah, I still keep a landline, for various purposes). Not good once Netflix et al came along. CenturyLink was my landline provider and when the techs came to install the fiber optic lines and modem/wireless, they gave me their biz cards with their "secret" numbers also. From the reports here, sounds like they all know that C-Link customer service is awful. Otherwise haven't had any problems with them. There was one outage that was determined to be an interruption in the street somewhere. Service was back the same day. I do electronic payments, but I control them; none of that "automatic withdrawal" stuff.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri May 15, 2020 12:10 pm 
Centurylink and Comcast control the market. Both are awful. CL charges me for "up to" 40 Mbs but actually delivers only 1.2 Mbs. Comcast offers faster, but when I decided to try switching they ported my number weeks before installing a line to connect me! (Seriously, suddenly no phone service at all - and my responsibility to convince them of their mistake and get my number back with CL!) Utter incompetence and/or thievery from either provider. Kitsap County is trying to establish a broadband PUD as an alternative. Hugely expensive to begin creating the infrastructure, but I'm certain they will take over most of the market if they can ever get it running. Makes me wish that they could just condemn the crooks' wires and boot them out of the county! mad.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri May 15, 2020 5:42 pm 
IanB wrote:
I decided to try switching they ported my number weeks before installing a line to connect me
Wait, what, you are still paying for a landline? That's is completely unneeded even if you don't have a cellphone. All you really need any more is internet service, even if you watch sports, a SlingTV subscription is way cheaper than Comcast cable TV service. Yes I know they try to market you "the triple play" but that's just their lame attempt to squeeze a few more years out of the old business model.