Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Quarantine movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 13, 2020 9:06 pm 
Mountain on Netflix an Australian film with nice relaxing music and beautiful pictures of climbing, skiing, and gliding.m up.gif up.gif showing the world as it was.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu May 14, 2020 12:58 pm 
The movie for our times: Bubble Boy. Perfect social isolation. All brain activity will cease while watching.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSun May 17, 2020 2:01 pm 
Get ready for Summer Unlocked (2020). With this great teaser: Hot Wet American Summer https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243655/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 18, 2020 4:00 am 
Currently airing on Netflix: "The Devil We Know" https://thedevilweknow.com/get-the-facts/ The DuPont Company is poisoning the entire planet.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 18, 2020 1:21 pm 
Been watching a bunch of movies. They mostly blur together. Several pleasant surprises I streamed on Hoopla that I honestly don't remember ever hearing about, may not have been in theaters. "The Magic of Belle Isle" stars Morgan Freeman and Virginia Madsen. Freeman is a formerly famous writer of Westerns who is burned out and bitter, pretty much done with life. His nephew arranges for him to house sit/dog sit in an idyllic little town on a pretty lake somewhere. His cynicism starts to melt away grudgingly as he gets acquainted w/ his fat, lazy dog housemate and Madsen and her 3 daughters that live next door. Nothing ground breaking but it was a feel good movie. "Carolina" is from the early 2000s. Stars Julia Stiles during her heyday. It's pretty solid. She deals with life's ups and downs, has a pretty quirky and weird family. A clan of southern hillbillies transported to LA. Shirley MacLaine is the matriarch and probably the quirkiest.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 18, 2020 1:35 pm 
Comcast/XFinity just had a "Watchathon" week with a bunch of content available from HBO, Starz, Hulu, and a couple of the other premium cable channels. I tried watching a bunch of stuff, mostly tv series, and couldn't find much worth watching. I have to conclude I'm not missing much not having all those channels. A couple of movies I purposely had avoided, I decided to take a chance on since they were free. "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"...nearly 3 hours of my life wasted. I've never been a Tarantino fan. This cemented him as one of the most overrated directors ever in my mind. So self indulgent, easily 45 min. to an hour should've been edited out of this movie. So mundane, so much of nothing, absolutely nothing happening. I guess you could say there were good performances by DiCaprio and Pitt, but their characters just weren't very interesting or compelling to me. I thought they were outshined by several supporting actors in small roles. Then the end was just bizarre. Over the top, almost ludicrously violent. I'm not sure what the point of any of it was. Atrocities committed by the good guys are okay because the bad guys deserved it? It sounds like he meticulously recreated the look and feel of LA and Hollywood in the late 60s, but I fail to be impressed since it's such a long, drawn out, boring movie. A day or two later I went against my better judgement and tried watching "Joker." 25 minutes in I was bored out of my mind and just completely uninterested in Arthur's plight and how the movie would unfold for the next 90 minutes, so I quit. Seems like both got quite a bit of critical and/or audience buzz, some Oscar nominations, etc. I must really be missing something. I just don't get it with either of them.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 18, 2020 2:56 pm 
The National Geographic channel will be starting a series based on the Annie Prolux book “Barkskinners”. The book is a cross generational story on the timber industry starting with the French in Canada. The book was long but had a number of good stories in it. Would have been hard to make as a film but could be a good miniseries. Starts next Monday. Will get back if any good.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue May 19, 2020 6:37 pm 
Forgot I saw "Bloodshot" a couple weeks ago. It had unfortunate timing of being released to theaters just about the time the whole world was shutting down over the corona virus, which certainly played a role in it completely bombing. It's a comic book adaptation, but not Marvel or DC (Valiant Comics I think). I really enjoyed it. Vin Diesel is a solid action star. Guy Pearce as the main antagonist is a good choice. Some other not real well known actors that I'm a fan of--Lamorne Morris, Talulah Riley, Eiza Gonzalez. Some interesting F/X, nice mix of CGI and practical effects. Story isn't totally original but it was interesting enough I thought. Worth checking out.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 21, 2020 7:51 pm 
Watching Babylon Berlin on Netflix. Interesting series concerning the Late Weimar Republic German made but most recent version dubbed. Revolves around the decadent destruction of society of the most advanced country in Europe. Combination of noir intrigue against a background of sex and violence. No need to speak German but a historical background adds to understanding.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 7:19 pm 
I can't remember if we have a tv series/binge watching thread, so I'll just put it here. Signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime. I'd been curious about their original show "The Boys." Blitzed thru it just about all in 1 sitting (8 episodes). It's very bloody/violent and has plenty of language, it's definitely not PG rated. That said, I thought it was excellent. There aren't really any big stars in it (Elizabeth Shue was in the 80s, but that was a long time ago), but plenty of good versatile character actors. A handful of them I was familiar with, some of them this was the first I'd seen of them. Good performances throughout, good writing, pacing, production values, everything. It's a number of things, deconstruction of the idea of superheroes, scathing satire of consumerism, marketing, corporate culture, worship of celebrities and cult of personality, etc. Had one episode that was fairly heavy handed anti-religion, but that didn't pop up repeatedly. Very worth a watch IMO.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 7:39 pm 
Watched a good Brit. Comedy on Prime - “The Hippopatamus”, based on book/play by Stephen Fry - who I think is pretty funny. A bit about it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hippopotamus_(film)

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 2:43 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Watched a good Brit. Comedy on Prime - “The Hippopatamus”, based on book/play by Stephen Fry - who I think is pretty funny.
Thank you for introducing me to Stephen Fry. Great reading. LOL.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 10:07 am 
Kascadia wrote:
jinx'sboy wrote:
Watched a good Brit. Comedy on Prime - “The Hippopatamus”, based on book/play by Stephen Fry - who I think is pretty funny.
I really enjoyed Jeeves and Wooster, which was on Masterpiece Theater quite a while ago. Now I am watching him in Kingdom, which is on Amazon Prime. I watched the original The Italian Job the other night. Whilst being a bit too quirky in a 1960s way, it had some good Mini Cooper stunts in it and not much killing. The movie was made before gore became standard fare.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 6:55 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
If you can find it...he did a travelogue series for BBC called “Stephen Fry in America”. About 10-12 years ago - multiple episodes about him driving across the US in black London Taxi. Very funny! Maybe on the BBC website? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Fry_in_America

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 1:36 pm 
Amazon just made "My Spy" available for streaming. That might've been in theaters for a minute, but if it was it was during the pandemic so it made zippo. Anyway, it's about what you would expect, no real surprises, but I found it to be a lot of fun. It's kinda like when Vin Diesel did The Pacifier or Dwayne Johnson did The Game Plan. Muscle bound tough guy, reluctantly has a cute kid (s) enter his life, then gets his heart melted. Had some good laughs, Bautista was committed to the physical comedy, the child actress did a good job. While it was predictable, it also had some fun poking fun at cliche of the action/espionage genre. Solidly entertaining. IMO much better than Stuber, another recent foray into comedy by Bautista.