Forum Index > Trip Reports > Esmeralda Peak (main summit), Gallagher Head lake and ridge – 17 May 2020.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon May 18, 2020 10:09 am 
Teanaway is always good on rainy days. NF Teanaway road is completely clear now, De Roux campground is closed, but I saw no signs indicating closure at the De Roux creek trailhead. No other cars or people, probably due to rain. Trail is mostly snow free until 4300 feet, at which point consistent hard snow starts and it actually makes things a lot easier. Crossed De Roux creek on a snow bridge and kicked the steps up the moderate slope to the little gap between two summits. There is some disagreement if east or west is the true summit, with many people claiming west bump is a little bit higher, while USGS map labels east bump as the main summit. Well, I can now end this debate forever and for all, since I checked out both summits and found convergent ladybugs on the west bump, but not on the east bump. Since ladybugs search for highest ground to converge, they clearly had lots of time to measure both peaks and choose the west one as the highest.
The cloudy views from the summit are really nice. After lengthy stay on the summit Cookie and I dropped down and around the cliffy area to check out the snow covered Gallagher Head lake. I love alpine lakes, and this was one of the lakes I never got to visit before, so I was excited to finally get to it after many years of looking at it from above from various nearby summits. Sadly, this was a huge disappointment, because someone trashed the snow around the lake. I found and packed out a few plastic water bottles and what appears to be a sitting pad. But worst of all there were two places with big piles of toilet paper and human poop just left on the snow. Eww… I cannot pack out that ☹ From the lake I kicked some more steps to get to the Gallagher Head ridge (or Gallaher Head? Maps seems to be confused about the spelling here). It started as a nice slope, but got extremely steep the last few feet. The rain mixed with hale became really heavy and rocks were super slippery and icy. Me and Cookie quickly peaked to the other, even steeper, side of the ridge and retreated back down quickly, deciding to check out the nearby Thimble at some latter day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 18, 2020 12:23 pm 
Good grief, kitya. You're relentless. Cookie must be living the dream. ~z

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon May 18, 2020 12:29 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Good grief, kitya. You're relentless. Cookie must be living the dream. ~z . .
Cookie is happy now, because it is not too hot yet. It becomes hard for her to hike when summer comes!

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostMon May 18, 2020 6:27 pm 
I love your Teanaway trip reports. Thanks for sharing!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 19, 2020 1:57 am 
Whats all that white stuff? In May no less. Hmm.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln