Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > For your mental health - Maher on Covid
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 18, 2020 9:00 am 
To your mental health...the reality that life is risk and no Dr Nanny or lockdown can fix that for you. Fear is a poor master.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 18, 2020 9:58 am 
Bill is an entertainter, as is Rush. Only a fool would consider either a source of reliable information.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon May 18, 2020 10:18 am 
"governors should declare keeping our bodies in good health an essential job" - indeed! Let's stop subsidizing the industries that profit from keeping us in poor health.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 18, 2020 11:20 am 
neek wrote:
"...the industries that profit from keeping us in poor health..."
see: " thedevilweknow.com "

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon May 18, 2020 12:07 pm 
But bill should be happy he got what he was hoping for. "And by the way, I'm hoping for it.please, bring on the recession. Sorry if that hurts people"

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 18, 2020 12:20 pm 
Thanks for putting this on a separate thread. ~z

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon May 18, 2020 12:50 pm 
Speaking of OCDs, I think the OP has OCAD: Obsessive-compulsive-arguing disorder.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
neek

neek
PostMon May 18, 2020 12:52 pm 
CC wrote:
Speaking of OCDs, I think we have a clear case of OCAD here: Obsessive-compulsive-arguing disorder.
No we don't

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon May 18, 2020 12:56 pm 
neek wrote:
CC wrote:
Speaking of OCDs, I think we have a clear case of OCAD here: Obsessive-compulsive-arguing disorder.
No we don't
Ah, a Pythonophile.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 18, 2020 12:58 pm 
Yes we do!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 18, 2020 1:11 pm 
CC wrote:
Speaking of OCDs, I think the OP has OCAD: Obsessive-compulsive-arguing disorder.
up.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 18, 2020 1:16 pm 
Northwest Hikers is an incredibly valuable resource, for the trip reports, the knowledge and experience that most people are happy to share, the beautiful photography, the sense of community and opportunity to meet new friends. It doesn't cost any of us a penny. Tom keeps repeatedly asking us to leave our politics at the door. We're all grown ups here and we're all capable of doing that.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostMon May 18, 2020 1:20 pm 
No we're not!

don't believe everything you think
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon May 18, 2020 1:44 pm 
I'm not part of this group. I'm an individual.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 18, 2020 2:16 pm 
CC wrote:
LOL, sure, just look above and that really stands out...the heckler's veto brigade, a handful of attack dogs. The real issue is that there is little room for views which dont comport with groupthink, and the hecklers veto has a lot of power here. As for Randy's snark, it's simple. There was no claim made that Maher was a source of vetted medical information. Maher brings up *other* factors that are not science mixed with the p word to form an unquestionable 'just the science' colloidial mix (featured prominently here and elsewhere).... which is not actually science. Speak against the assumptions of the not science, and the dogs pounce. The larger ethical questions and arguments Maher notes don't hinge on technical details of the virus. They hinge on value judgements and how you choose to live your life. He's talking about the *other* aspects of this issue, and questioning them, not the actual science. A virus has objective quantifiable characteristics, etc. The morality and risk tradeoffs of how people fit these things into their actions and choices is not up to an 'expert' of any stripe.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers