Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > To your/our health (Covid-19 thread)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSat May 16, 2020 10:34 pm 
Quote:
I think it more or less translates to "I want to start doing rallies again."
I totally support the desire. Tomorrow would be good!

don't believe everything you think
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 16, 2020 10:38 pm 
RayD wrote:
Quote:
With all due respect could you all have this discussion about political rallies in a different thread? This is not helping at all. You'll only attract the arguers. Good grief! ~z

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 16, 2020 10:39 pm 
Here's an interview with one of Korea's leading experts on viruses and infectious diseases--Professor Woo-Joo Kim. The interview is in Korean with subtitles but I found it very compelling and easy to understand. They discuss the nature of viruses and how this one--Covid-19 got started. If you're patient, you'll learn some interesting things. They spend time at the end discussing why we are having so many new viruses and infectious diseases in recent times. ~z

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 16, 2020 10:40 pm 
RayD wrote:
Quote:
Personally I'm in favor of big Trump 2020 rallies with no social distancing or PPE or temperature checks on entrance and a long receiving line where Trump shakes many of his supporters hands, kisses their babies and gropes the women. I mean if it's all a hoax like Trump indicated during a Feb 28 rally when he said: "this is their new hoax." That should be no problem.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat May 16, 2020 10:47 pm 
I'm going to say this one more time: NO MORE POLITICS You guys know the rules here. If you cannot check politics at the door you will be shown the door. LAST WARNING!!!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat May 16, 2020 11:08 pm 
graywolf wrote:
If you remember Peter Attia's short video explaining sensitivity (positive test results) and specificity (negative test results), he makes the point that false negatives are much more dangerous. And now we're starting to see the results of poor test specificity.
I can't recall where I read/heard it, but I'm under the impression that whatever the UW is doing for their tests, including antibody tests, has some of the best accuracy. If anyone has a info for that, please post it.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostSun May 17, 2020 6:42 am 
don't believe everything you think
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun May 17, 2020 6:44 am 
Zephyr, thanks for posting the link. Yes, at about 13 .5 minutes in they discuss the root cause for this and future pandemics. We could get an even more deadly pandemic in the future from factory farming.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun May 17, 2020 7:02 am 
The test UW is using is the Abbott IgG antibody test. It's currently the best available. Beware of the cheap at-home versions that can be purchased online. We've tried a few of these in our lab and they're a mixed bag. Info for the Abbott test here.
Quote:
We tested 1,020 serum specimens collected prior to SARS-CoV-2 circulation in the United States and found one false positive, indicating a specificity of 99.90%. We tested 125 patients who tested RT-PCR positive for SARS-CoV-2 for which 689 excess serum specimens were available and found sensitivity reached 100% at day 17 after symptom onset and day 13 after PCR positivity. Alternative index value thresholds for positivity resulted in 100% sensitivity and 100% specificity in this cohort.
LabCorp has started antibody testing and they are using this test. You can get the test yourself through the link here: LabCorp serology test. It's $10 up front for lab costs and you don't need a doctor's referral. I think with a referral the fee is removed though. If you have insurance the rest of the cost is covered. Possibly the government pays the rest if you don't but I'm not sure about that. You register for an appointment at any lab location, show up and check in on a tablet, receive a text when they're ready so you don't have to sit in a waiting room, needle stick, then you're on your way in about 10 minutes. Results in 2-3 days. But just because you have antibodies (I don't) it may not mean you're immune to reinfection, so be careful and don't go licking doorknobs or anything.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun May 17, 2020 7:40 am 
Dr. Sanjay Gupta: this guy seems to be more on the ball than any other I have read. https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/dr-sanjay-gupta-if-the-united-states-were-my-patient/ar-BB14cuvY

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun May 17, 2020 10:22 am 
Here's a really interesting article on the efficacy and utility of face-shields as another tool in the PPE kit. They seem to be more effective than masks at this point. Research is still being done, but sometimes the need calls for early adoption of new discoveries. This was published in JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) in late April. I found it on Eric Feigl-Ding's Twitter feed. Quote: Face shields offer a number of advantages. While medical masks have limited durability and little potential for reprocessing, face shields can be reused indefinitely and are easily cleaned with soap and water, or common household disinfectants. They are comfortable to wear, protect the portals of viral entry, and reduce the potential for autoinoculation by preventing the wearer from touching their face. People wearing medical masks often have to remove them to communicate with others around them; this is not necessary with face shields. The use of a face shield is also a reminder to maintain social distancing, but allows visibility of facial expressions and lip movements for speech perception. Conclusions quote: The COVID-19 pandemic arrived swiftly and found many countries unprepared. Even highly prepared countries are now facing second-wave outbreaks that have forced implementation of extreme social distancing measures. To minimize the medical and economic consequences, it is important to rapidly assess and adopt a containment intervention bundle that drives transmissibility to manageable levels. Face shields, which can be quickly and affordably produced and distributed, should be included as part of strategies to safely and significantly reduce transmission in the community setting. Now is the time for adoption of this practical intervention. Anybody here already wearing one? ~z

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostMon May 18, 2020 2:15 pm 
I signed up for the labcorp test. Just waiting for my appointment. Zephyr. Im in construction. I wear a kask helmet at work with a half visor and mask. If we wear a full shield, you don't need a mask, but still need a neck sleeve to the bottom of the shield. I would much prefer that. Its really hard not to touch or adjust your mask constantly. I got xylene on my glove, then touched it today. Need to keep more then one on me. In january, my boss got us all new full face respirator masks, hard hats, and other PPE like gloves and glasses. I think it was an end of year safety stock up. I only grabbed a couple half shield and a helmet. Wish I grabbed a full face. He ended up donating it all. Plus hundreds of gallons of alcohol. Got a full face on back order now.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon May 18, 2020 3:48 pm 
I crap in the woods. I never wash my hands. And I have NEVER seen anyone wash their hands after crapping in the woods. EVER. I keep training my immune system by getting sick. My body is essential. I keep it healthy. And being healthy is to not be afraid of germs, bacteria, or viruses. That is one way how we got here after thousands of years....Its called being human.

Art is an adventure.
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostMon May 18, 2020 4:33 pm 
New peer-reviewed research says coronavirus droplets caused by talking remain in the air for 8-14 minutes We all know that coughing and especially sneezing spreads the virus. But I've always wondered about talking. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/speaking-causes-airborne-virus-transmission-coroanvirus-study-gives-more-insight-into-the-diseases-rapid-contagion-2020-05-14?mod=mw_latestnews

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 18, 2020 5:27 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
Its really hard not to touch or adjust your mask constantly.
I agree. I only wear one for quick trips to the post office, grocery store, etc. Lately on longer runs, I notice that I keep adjusting the mask. Of course, it's one of the cheap medical ones that I got at the doctor's office. I supplement it with a bandana. It would be really a chore to try to do much work in the mask especially when it gets hotter. I imagine some of the better constructed ones would be better. I would like to try out the face shield some day. Thanks for sharing your real life experience. ~z