Previous :: Next Topic
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 6:01 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Or extend all expiration dates 3 months
This would be the common sense, zero cost option. So of course state government won’t do it! embarassedlaugh.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 8:54 pm 
Randito wrote:
Quote:
Can I get an extension or refund on my Discover Pass for the month-long state lands closure? No. State agencies are focused on reopening public access to outdoor recreation and will not provide refunds or extensions at this time.
How dare they reopen the land I want open, they owe me $2!!

kevperro

kevperro
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 9:55 pm 
As much as I need the $2.18 so that I can buy two large coffees at McDonald's, I'll let them keep it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 10:10 pm 
You get your $2 this year there may be no place to go next year. $2 does not buy much of a pass at the Snoqualmie Forest meat market. rolleyes.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 pm 
There are very few state parks I would prefer to be in than trails mostly on national forest land. The handful of times I've gone into state parks in the last half decade have been on bike rides (they don't charge us). I've never felt the need to buy a Disco Pass.

nordique

nordique
PostWed May 20, 2020 1:56 pm 
I buy a Discover Pass every year, to support our parks--even in years when, after my right leg surgeries, I was unable to hike for months.

MidLifeHiker

MidLifeHiker
PostWed May 20, 2020 4:59 pm 
Same here, I also have bought the Discover pass for the last 12 or so years, even the year when I had my hip replacement. I believe in support for our parks. Plus if we keep the national parks up nice, more people will go there and stay out of the back country. smile.gif MidLifeHiker

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 20, 2020 6:22 pm 
I was thinking about this. Cabin Creek closed with a week left of grooming. Why aren't they bringing snow down from Mount Baker and grooming it for me? Aren't my wants important enough?

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostWed May 20, 2020 8:42 pm 
Yeah, I can't get excited either about trying to extract a few dollars back from the state for not being able to use my pass for a couple months. The cost to the state to do that would eat into the amount given back. Let 'em keep it in support of the state public lands!

Gregory

Gregory
PostThu May 21, 2020 7:32 am 
There will be no camping on state land until all counties are at phase two which will not happen until next year as things are set right now. My pass expires this month and I will not be buying another for this year. No reason too. I will pay my rent though. lol

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 21, 2020 9:40 am 
I'm confused, the Discover Pass is a day use pass for state owned recreation lands (not national forestst, national parks, BLM land, ect). Even if you have a discover pass, if you camp at a state park you have to pay additional fees for camping. As far as I know, having a discover pass does not give you a discount for camping at a state park (an entirely separate fee you pay). The majority of state parks are now open for day use. Some are still closed. There are a lot of private entities who are getting a windfall based on the pandemic, but I don't hear much complaining about those. People who had season ski passes are not being refunded for a season that was cut short. Some airlines are only giving future credit (with an expiration date) rather than a full refund for plane tickets (despite receiving federal bail out money). I assume there are climbing gyms, yoga studios, ect, who are not refunding members for pre-purchased punch cards and passes with expiration dates. An annual discover pass is $35, so pro-rated over 12 months, we are talking about less than a $9 refund for three months that your use was affected? Seems like a lot of complaining for $9?

nordique

nordique
PostThu May 21, 2020 11:06 am 
I'm a long-time member of Vertical World--since the month they opened. After my right foot fusion, I found climbing to be far too painful, so I put my membership on the $5 a month level. When they had to shut down for the virus, I emailed them to restore me to full membership. They deserve to survive the virus--and I may someday be able to resume climbing, if only in my mountain boots.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 21, 2020 11:34 am 
Whisler is giving a credit for next year for unused edge card lifts. It must be used by Sept for 2020-2021 season.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu May 21, 2020 11:49 am 
Crystal Mountain (owned by private equity firm Alterra) is not giving any benefit to 19/20 passholders due to a month+ of the season being cancelled. When I cancelled a trip at the end of May on Alaska Airlines they gave me credit (not refund) and the new flight must be purchased by Jan 21 when presumably the pandemic is still present. My point being, a lot of the right wing, libertarian, anti-government posters on nwhikers like to complain when the government doesn't issue them a $9 refund for the discover pass but think private entities can do no evil.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu May 21, 2020 1:07 pm 
If I had a Discover Pass, I personally wouldn't ask for the refund. Not for a few dollars. Though I could see asking for some kind of compensation or equatible adjustment if they had kept parks closed for the next 12 months. But closed for a couple of months that equates to under $10, I wouldn't bother with it. Same with companies. It would just depend on how much was 'lost' and if I felt whether they needed the money or not. Does the state give you a refund on your car tabs if you sell you car or turn in your plates? IF they don't, do y'all complain about them not giving a refund for the portion of the year that you no longer have the car? I really don't know but I would doubt it. Please let me know if they do.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war