Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > tribal lands closure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu May 21, 2020 1:03 pm 
I post this info obtained from the silver state post newspaper in deer lodge mt. the blackfeet tribal lands are closed to all non residents. the east entrances to glacier national park on reservation lands are closed. I post this only for yalls information and not for any personal reason!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu May 21, 2020 3:28 pm 
As are the Colville tribe's lands and also the one out on the far NW corner of the state Makah?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
tinman

tinman
PostThu May 21, 2020 5:04 pm 
Yes, the Makah, Quileute and Hoh Reservations are closed on the peninsula.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri May 22, 2020 1:35 pm 
***edited to remove F bomb references*** “ President Sharp issued a separate statement that acknowledged that since because both Hwy 109 and Hwy 101 are state highways, the QIN cannot close the roads, although they had been in talks with WSDOT regarding signage to limit access to local traffic only.” To hell with that. I live in this state so I am local. If I want to circumnavigate the peninsula and don’t bother stopping and spending money in their businesses, then they can bite me. News story link

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm 
alpendave wrote:
To hell with that. I live in this state so I am local. If I want to circumnavigate the peninsula and don’t bother stopping and spending money in their businesses, then they can bite me. News story link
Affirmative!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 22, 2020 3:58 pm 
Huh? Hey, I'm all for the tribes closing their gates - it's perfectly within their rights to do so. Those rights end about 10 feet outboard the fog line on Hwy 101 though... don't understand why they would even mention that other than to piss off the locals.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 22, 2020 5:09 pm 
Sure the smallpox blankets did not do the trick, send the Covid-19 infected redneck tourons. shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri May 22, 2020 7:51 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Sure the smallpox blankets did not do the trick, send the Covid-19 infected redneck tourons. shakehead.gif
And you are implying what? https://www.historynet.com/smallpox-in-the-blankets.htm

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat May 23, 2020 10:38 am 
alpendave wrote:
***edited to remove F bomb references*** “ President Sharp issued a separate statement that acknowledged that since because both Hwy 109 and Hwy 101 are state highways, the QIN cannot close the roads, although they had been in talks with WSDOT regarding signage to limit access to local traffic only.” To hell with that. I live in this state so I am local. If I want to circumnavigate the peninsula and don’t bother stopping and spending money in their businesses, then they can bite me. News story link
I didn't know four year olds could drive.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:30 am 
I thought it was fairly well accepted that when Cortez force arrived at Veracruz smallpox came with them. Once introduced to mainland of the Americas it swept both continents in a few years. No Europeans witnessed the populations that had existed prior to this.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am 
Pyrites wrote:
I thought it was fairly well accepted that when Cortez force arrived at Veracruz smallpox came with them. Once introduced to mainland of the Americas it swept both continents in a few years. No Europeans witnessed the populations that had existed prior to this.
I am thinking that I read somewhere that a few ships were visiting the West coast prior to the smallpox epidemic. Also that Lewis and Clark passed through before the pox hit hard. The so called Whitman Massacre was a result of angry natives blaming, the missionaries for infecting the tribes. I'm thinking that was the start of it here in the PNW.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 1:39 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The so called Whitman Massacre was a result of angry natives blaming, the missionaries for infecting the tribes.
You are correct that the tribes were blaming their disease on the settlers. The disease at that time wasn't smallpox however, it was measles. The Whitman massacre happened on Nov 29, 1847. A Hudson Bay Company employee aboard the HBC vessel the Beaver writes in his letter to the company, "I left Fort Vancouver 26th Nov...The emigrants had brought Measles and dysentery to the Columbia and the Indians...were dying fast of these complaints. When I left Vancouver their were a few cases of Measles in the hospital. On arrival here [Fort Simpson] the disease soon spread both in and outside the fort, four men and most of the Women and Children in the fort have had the disease, two of the men's children have died of it; there have been several deaths among the Natives...it is to be feared it will prove fatal to numbers more of them."

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 2:29 pm 
Too lazy to look it up. It was the typical dissertation research that then becomes the new phd’s post doctoral work too. Five or ten years ago. She started with history of first smallpox wave across what we now call Mexico. When it became clear smallpox didn’t really care about future national boundaries she expanded scope of work. I think she was estimating four or five years before the Inuit etc to the north were hit, and similar to Tierra del Fuego. I don’t remember how many distinct waves she talked about. Every generation or two? If Cortez’ ambition had been to just set up a trading post at Veracruz more like the initial HBC factory at Churchill, the result would have been millions of deaths. .... Lewis and Clark. When they passed down the Columbia found empty longhouses and deserted or near so villages all over. In trying to find out why across the language barrier, the locals sent for one woman by name. When she appeared she was a smallpox survivor who was heavily marked by the disease. This had apparently been in the last couple years.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 3:00 pm 
It is the same story across the Americas. When the pilgrims arrived in what is now Massachusetts most of the villages were deserted 1620. The Inca lost half their population a couple years before Pizzaro. The villages along the Pacific Coasts were ravaged by smallpox and measles long before Lewis and Clark probably from otter fur trading ships. Virus from one trader is a more effective extermination weapon than flintlock muskets which require an army.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 3:54 pm 
Hmmm, guess I missed that. I always thought that the Columbia River area was still packed with tribes when Lewis and Clark headed down it, and back up.