Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Punish members instead of locking threads?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu May 21, 2020 10:12 am 
A member shared he wanted to add to a topic but it was locked..... Sometimes topics can get back on topic? Just a thought.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu May 21, 2020 11:05 am 
The track record isn't good. Some topics are explosive by nature and this site prides itself on light moderation. There are many strong personalities that wouldn't take well to being "punished". Your best bet may be to follow up in private with people. I've found this to be a great way to establish a more personal connection and even to make friends. Also to figure out who is more interested in just making noise.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 21, 2020 1:18 pm 
lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu May 21, 2020 1:36 pm 
Given that creating new email addresses is free and easy, it seems like banning dedicated trolls could be significant work for the moderator(s). Organizations like twitter spend megabucks rooting out bot and troll accounts. Nwhikers does have the ignore user feature. Since the goal of trolls is attention and controversy.... I'm guilty of responding to posts that IMO contain deceptive or misleading information with a counter point. This tactic doesn't stop the trolls, but I tend to agree with the following
Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri May 22, 2020 5:35 pm 
Yes, I say to punish them or in extreme cases stone them. smackbum.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 pm 
Suggestion: make it so a poster cannot edit or delete their own posts in any thread. Think twice. Post once. ETA: The poster I was replying to has deleted their post, making the thread more difficult to parse and Tom's reply below nonsensical. They were asking for the ability to delete posts from locked threads too. From inane nonsense, to advocating for trailside violence, I've noticed they delete lots of their posts. catsp, why do you post and delete so much? Is it a lack of integrity? Just asking questions.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 2:23 pm 
Eliminating or restricting users' ability to delete or edit posts is, in a word, short-sighted and counterproductive. Words leaving your lips are not chiseled in stone. It should not be the case with spur-of-the-moment-stream-of-consciousness palaver that people post on the internet either. For that matter, restricting number of edits is a HUGE obstacle for users who need to go back in an "fix" posts repeatedly - for any number of reasons. Edit limits are the reason I have several unfinished threads on another website, which serves to the detriment of those people who might be looking for that information. Fortunately Tom, in his infinite wisdom, has left us to our own devices in that regard. If you treat people like adults, most of the time they'll act like adults.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 2:24 pm 
^ you spotted the grammatical error there right off, didn't you? Shall I go edit it?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 25, 2022 2:38 pm 
That's just how board software works when a topic is locked. Allowing users to delete posts may just add confusion for anyone bothering to read the topic.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Nov 26, 2022 4:11 pm 
Members who are overly punny (3 or more puns per post average??) should be locked, especially if the threads they are wearing are somewhat lacking. Some are so fowl they should be barned for a laughtime.

Josh Journey, Riverside Laker, Ski
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Nov 26, 2022 4:36 pm 
A buddy of mine recently acquired this from a member of a splinter group, but I wooden want to drive it myself.
A buddy of mine recently acquired this from a member of a splinter group, but I wooden want to drive it myself.
I think they should have built it out of 4 x 4s. Another guy I know said he thought it had some nice lines. I think there may be a grain of truth to that statement. He had to pass on it because it only came with a stick shift. You can tell I'm really board now, right?

catsp

catsp
PostSat Dec 10, 2022 8:34 pm 
FiveNines wrote:
From inane nonsense, to advocating for trailside violence, I've noticed they delete lots of their posts. catsp, why do you post and delete so much? Is it a lack of integrity? Just asking questions.
[Deleted] TL;DR: Truth be told, I delete my posts as "a symbol of human impermanence, smallness, and whimsy in the vast and indifferent continuum of nature." (Unattributed Philosopher)