Forum Index > Trail Talk > How much light do you carry?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Washakie

Washakie
PostWed May 20, 2020 4:08 pm 
Same....

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostWed May 20, 2020 4:27 pm 
I have one of these in my emergency kit for day hiking. I used to use that for backpacking (it has sufficient light for me). One thing I like is having (at least) two levels or brightness. Often I want the lowest level and see no reason to have a really bright light. However, recently, for backpacking, I switched to a Petzl Bindi. It is lightweight as well, and it is handy to have a real headlamp, to free up my hands. I doubt I will ever need that much light, but I suppose it could come in handy if someone loses their contact lens or something. Modern lights are amazing. I bet that little thing cranks out more than the flashlight I used to carry as a security guard. It reminds me of the Men in Black "Little Cricket" scene.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 20, 2020 4:49 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Black Diamond spot and an extra set of batteries. I've never had it fail, ever that I can remember (10 years?).
christensent wrote:
For anything less than caving, I just carry one head lamp. The odds that it's going to fail seem to be really impressively low
This is interesting. I've never had a head lamp last more than a couple years. Guess I need to be more careful.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 20, 2020 5:50 pm 
I have a nice but pretty heavy Black Diamond head lamp. I also carry a very lightweight el cheepo LED light that uses watch batteries. I truly hate to even mention wally world, but they sell them in sporting goods (in a locked case) for a couple of bucks. The batteries cost more than that. Dollar Tree has the batteries, hopefully they will eventually carry the head lamps.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed May 20, 2020 6:51 pm 
One headlamp. Batteries last about a year unless there are a few long night hikes. Use it on the low light setting 95% of the time. Never carry spare batteries. Backup: phone light.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed May 20, 2020 7:20 pm 
Used to just bring one headlamp; in summer I only need it to read in my tent, and at that I'm asleep within 15 minutes, and in fall & winter, I might use it a half dozen times on dayhikes. But I screwed up a couple years ago and got lost, and I dropped my headlamp while digging it out of my pack, it burst apart, and it done broke. So there I was 5 miles out, in the dark. So now, 2 head lamps, no extra batteries. No special brand, I just went to the store and bought Headlamps. Lumens? who knows. I just want some light, and Headlamps give light.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
neek

neek
PostThu May 21, 2020 6:29 am 
How much light do I carry? 10^21 photons, no more no less. What type? Several primary frequencies in the visible range. Real answer: 5 year old black diamond headlamp with freshly charged NiMH batteries plus phone as backup, for anything from a day hike to several days out. Key feature: a lock mode so it doesn't accidentally get turned on in your pack.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu May 21, 2020 8:49 am 
We get coast headlamps from Costco. I forget the lumens, but they are very bright. I usually carry two. I have one one on my chest, and one on my head. The chest one is always attached to my pack strap. Most times I only use the green light on that one. . Only use the headlamp for needed navigation, sorting through the pack, or fast travel. I feel like I can see further once my eyes adjust, vrs only being able to see as far as the lamp. This is only for intentional longer distances in the dark. Generally in the winter when days are short. I really like traveling at night in the snow with a blue glow stick.

Luc

Luc
PostThu May 21, 2020 10:39 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I also carry a very lightweight el cheepo LED light that uses watch batteries.
+1 I forgot to mention. I keep it clipped to the ceiling of my tent, even when packed up for the season. Still works. Great to help reduce fumbling for a water bottle in the middle of the night, but not enough to read by, unless it's unclipped.

GNGSTR
schifferj

schifferj
PostThu May 21, 2020 1:44 pm 
My go to is a Petzl Tikka RXP reactive rechargeable light. I’ve had it for about six years and never had a problem. Almost always use in lowest of the reactive modes which is sufficient for all but the darkest conditions. I hiked up Mauna Loa on the big island with an oh dark thirty start time using this light. Finding the black cairns in a black lava field was quite the workout for this light which I believe is about 300 lumens. From time to time I’ll carry a sure fire minimus 300 lumen light left over from my fire department days.

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostThu May 21, 2020 5:45 pm 
One Black Diamond 300 lumen white/RGB headlamp. Extra quartet of AAA batteries. ETA: Though in May/June/July I should stop taking a headlamp. I never use it during those months, mainly because I fall asleep before the sun does.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu May 21, 2020 10:20 pm 
You need a lot of batteries on these multi night trips where each night the whole group is standing around a big ragin' fire shouting till 3am with headlamps on full blast the entire time, shinin' in each other's eyes.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 21, 2020 11:56 pm 
schifferj wrote:
My go to is a Petzl Tikka RXP reactive rechargeable light. I’ve had it for about six years and never had a problem. Almost always use in lowest of the reactive modes which is sufficient for all but the darkest conditions.
How do you like the reactive technology versus a regular headlamp?

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri May 22, 2020 7:00 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
How do you like the reactive technology versus a regular headlamp?
I really like it. It's like switching from standard shifting on a bicycle to UDi2! for those not familiar UDi2 is electric shifting. Like clicking a mouse and the newer ones shift the front sprockets automatically when you shift the rear. When the Tikka is turned on it comes on in low reactive setting and can be changed to medium or high setting with the push of one button. When it's in reactive in low medium or high it will always give the lowest setting whenever possible but when you look off in the distance it will adjust to the highest setting you've selected. It also has low, medium, and high standard settings which I'll sometimes use as the sun comes up to get more light than reactive thinks is necessary.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri May 22, 2020 7:30 am 
If you carry too much light, does it get heavy?