Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ross Dam Trail Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
carlb328

carlb328
PostSat May 23, 2020 8:52 am 
So when I am able to visit Washington again, or move back, I want to try to get my inflatable kayak to Ross lake and fish. I am wondering how long the distance is on the Ross dam trail to get to the lake. It looks like the end of the lake near the dam has barriers, so I would need to get East or North far enough to get past those. I'm not sure if it would be shorter to take the dam trail or the East Bank trail for water access. Any ideas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 23, 2020 9:17 am 
Very do able with an inflatable. A bit steep for portaging a rigid canoe back up from the lake. Definitely not a trail were using a cart is practical.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat May 23, 2020 9:22 am 
Before the dam is a road that leads right to the lake. The whole distance is less than a mile.

When I grow up I wanna play.
SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostSat May 23, 2020 9:30 am 
Parking at the Ross lake dam trailhead it is just shy of 1 mile to the lake. About 3/4 the way down the trail you come to a dirt road. Taking a right (east) the road leads to lake, A floating dock is there, mostly used to for resort water taxi. Taking a left at the road junction will lead you to the top of dam, you then can continue walking over the dam to the resort or farther. There is no barriers to contend with unless this is something new within the last year or two. There is a log boom you will need to paddle thru. A 10' wide opening in the middle allows access to the rest of the lake. Parking at Ruby creek it is 3 miles to first safe spot to launch. This spot is also a camp site. All camping on Ross lake requires a permit.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 23, 2020 9:39 am 
Brushwork wrote:
Before the dam is a road that leads right to the lake. The whole distance is less than a mile.
Yep go right at the junction when the sign tells you to go left. That's a high traffic (boat and truck) area so don't stay too long. The hike is about a mile and drops about 600 feet.

carlb328

carlb328
PostSat May 23, 2020 11:15 am 
That's perfect, my advanced elements firefly weighs supposedly 20 pounds, with the bag, paddle, pump and seat it's probably 23-25 plus water and fishing gear a mile should be OK.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 23, 2020 11:21 am 
I don't think fishing is allowed until July.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat May 23, 2020 12:26 pm 
The area around Ross Lake seems to be the Tick Capital of Washington. If your near any brush, clothes sprayed with Permethrin and gaiters is the way to go.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau