Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Will the virus give earth a second chance?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun May 24, 2020 8:26 am 
Mutations are random, and most aren't viable. If you change one thing in the plan for a car, based on a roll of dice, it's probably not going to be an improvement. Or, most teenagers know a better way to organize the world; 1 in 100,000 are right about it. Some mutations have no effect at all. If this virus stays with us long term, natural selection will favor mutations that makes it spread better, which is the same thing as less nasty. People who test positive go into isolation, that's not a good way to spread. But it takes a lot of random change to wind up at less nasty.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun May 24, 2020 4:03 pm 
I am skeptical about human nature; I have to wonder though if Gaia might be smarter than we give her credit for.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 24, 2020 5:31 pm 
^^^ This. Chief Joseph on the previous page is going with the Ebenezer Scrooge idea, ie, "Decrease the surplus population!!" and I tend to agree - we can do it deliberately, or Gaia, aka the cosmic Darwin, is going to do it for us. Fortunately most of us alive now will be under the dirt before our stupidity catches up with us. frown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
neek

neek
PostSun May 24, 2020 6:07 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Fortunately most of us alive now will be under the dirt before our stupidity catches up with us.
But some of your molecules may be incorporated into the giant intelligent rat-like creatures that arise from the ashes, so you can at least take some solace in that.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 24, 2020 8:32 pm 
^ you mean the ROUS?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun May 24, 2020 8:46 pm 
The earth will abide until a cosmic calamity. It is us who will not. There will always be rocks and plants, seas, and animals.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 24, 2020 9:40 pm 
^^^ That was George Carlin's POV, at 1:27. That and trust in "The Big Electron" clown.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun May 24, 2020 10:47 pm 
On these science shows on these channels these days they've been sayin' the whole universe will end, earth included

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostMon May 25, 2020 12:08 am 
Must have missed those shows. Could you name a couple so I could watch them?

don't believe everything you think
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostMon May 25, 2020 12:34 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
I am skeptical about human nature; I have to wonder though if Gaia might be smarter than we give her credit for.
Human nature is a part of Gaia. The arising of self awareness and all that entails is a part of Gaia. I suspect we don't understand how consciousness plays a part in the universe. But given the extent of space and time and all contained in that humongous petri dish, our current personal existence with all our arts, wars and curiosity is just a morning's rainbow. We only have the power to destroy our selves. The earth will go on and the galaxy will hardly notice. Perhaps with time another self awareness will arise. Much can be cooked in a huge pot.

don't believe everything you think
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 25, 2020 8:11 am 
Just read an article in The Guardian where it is suggested that in this epidemic, essential employees is really defined as expendable employees.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 25, 2020 10:14 am 
So long as we are on the subject https://thebulletin.org/2020/05/apocalypse-never-what-coronavirus-teaches-us-about-doomsday-denial/#.Xsv69jQUy8E

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon May 25, 2020 10:38 am 
RayD wrote:
We only have the power to destroy our selves.
Unfortunately, we have already demonstrated that this is not true. We are not the only ones going down on our sinking ship.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostSun May 31, 2020 6:28 pm 
Finally, some science to clarify the theories. Carbon emissions dropped a whopping 17 percent during the peak of the lockdowns in April. But this drop is likely transitory. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/carbon-emissions-fall-during-pandemic-could-bounce-back-fast-180974930/ Meanwhile, CO2 levels in the atmosphere "reached roughly 418 parts per million this month, setting a new record for the highest concentration of the planet-warming gas ever recorded in human history, reports Alejandra Borunda for National Geographic. An analysis from CarbonBrief earlier in May, suggests that without the decline in emissions from the coronavirus pandemic the overall concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere would be just 0.4 parts per million higher."