Forum Index > Gear Talk > DO NOT GET A GARMIN INREACH. Mine does not work and there is NO Support!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rkjenner

rkjenner
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:14 pm 
I’ve had both the larger Garmin inReach SE+ and the Mini. The SE was my first. It would occasionally have unresponsive buttons and not turn on when it was really cold. I contacted customer support and they were poised to send a new unit if I continued having trouble. An effective workaround was to turn it on while in the car and I had no more trouble. Alas, I drove off with the unit on the roof and never did find it. Around that time they released the Mini and I bought one. The Mini has been flawless.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon May 25, 2020 2:32 pm 
My inreach has lasted for many years while I went through a spot unit yearly, Spot is total garbage.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue May 26, 2020 7:36 am 
I had the Spot 2 for many years. Always worked fine. Changed batteries once a year. Recently purchased the new SpotX. So far it works well and seems sturdy and reliable. My previous good experience and some features that the Inreach didn't have made it the right choice for me. I had some questions before I bought so I contacted them by phone. No waiting, very helpful. Monthly subscription costs are about the same but the Spot is less expensive to purchase.

runup

runup
PostWed May 27, 2020 9:07 pm 
dave allyn wrote:
I had the Spot 2 for many years. Always worked fine. Changed batteries once a year. Recently purchased the new SpotX. So far it works well and seems sturdy and reliable. My previous good experience and some features that the Inreach didn't have made it the right choice for me. I had some questions before I bought so I contacted them by phone. No waiting, very helpful. Monthly subscription costs are about the same but the Spot is less expensive to purchase.
Our extended family’s experience with Spot over the years is similar to yours Dave. We presently have three and have had no problems with them. The Spot X with integral key pad for ad hoc texting looks interesting. I’m considering upgrading one of our units to give it a try.

80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 9:23 am 
DadFly wrote:
DO NOT GET A GARMIN INREACH. Mine does not work and there is NO Support!
i normally don't look through the Gear threads, so just seeing this for the first time. I disagree totally. I have an Inreach that I use every summer and it's always worked perfectly. Never had any issues. Last year I was car camping with my friend from Alaska. He had never used one before. I let him use it at night to communicate with his girlfriend and he was super impressed. I consider it a highly useful and valuable piece of equipment. in fact it's one of my favorite gear purchases of all time.

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostSun Jul 12, 2020 1:09 pm 
I have the inReach Mini... Three years and it has been great! Great battery life. Good reception... many times even inside the tent. Love the ability to text home and to also receive messages.

Happy Trails... pasayten
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 pm 
I have an older InReach SE it has worked great ever since I got it until recently. When I went to use it the battery was dead. Before the battery lasted for months. One time the unit was on and the battery almost exhausted. I checked into getting a new battery (difficult). Checking with the blog I found there was a software update which changed the startup procedure. Formerly you pressed and held down the check button for several seconds, then hit the arrow button, then pressed check again, preventing accidental turn on. A similar procedure turned of the device. Now you turn it on by simply holding down the check button for several seconds the device stays on until you turn it off by the old procedure. The change makes it very easy to turn on if something is against the check button in the pack. I do not know if this is related to the emergency turn on problem. All newer devices include this “feature” WARNING THIS IS DANGEROUS FOR AN EMERGENCY DEVICE Note: I taped a small plastic cover off a package of push pins over the buttons to prevent this.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn