Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dogs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 18, 2001 9:32 pm 
Ah, SURE BUDDY! smile.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif tongue.gif cool.gif rolleyes.gif clown.gif yawn.gif lol.gif paranoid.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Washakie

Washakie
PostSun May 24, 2020 1:38 pm 
Dante, remember the Beatles' first movie? One of the "boys" had a grandfather who always caused issues and arguments between others and then smiled and slipped out of the scene? Of course you do. They called him a mixer.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun May 24, 2020 5:33 pm 
Wait cotton kills my ass...I always take a long sleeve light wt. Shirt for comfort.. AS FOR DOGS..USED TO CARRY MA BOWIE KNIFE..IN MA BELT...PULLED IT ONCE ON STUPID DOG..BOY THE OWNER GOT HIM LEASHED up RIGHT QUIK! The wood staff helps too....on a recent hike with some newbies a pit bull looking dog briefly freaked out a guy...but you could tell he was just a happy doggie running a little ways in front of owner....

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun May 24, 2020 9:02 pm 
Washakie - just curious: What inspired you to dredge up and reply to a 19 year old thread?

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon May 25, 2020 8:40 am 
Why dredge this up?? banghead.gif

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon May 25, 2020 11:44 am 
Because I am very fond of both "the woods" and dogs. I also have a difficult time understanding those who venture out into the more natural, "less regulated" areas of our beautiful world and want to control things. Perhaps there are those who should hike and camp in their back yards.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostMon May 25, 2020 11:58 am 
I Was running with my dog yesterday up dingford and went past a parked car that had a pit bull decal that stated: “punish the deed, not the breed”. 5 minutes later we run by the couple and the dog was luckily on a leash but was yanking and aggressively barking and lunging at my dog and I. The irony. Of course generalizing here (nothing against pit bulls) but, don’t try to display a message like that if your dog is apparently fitting the status quo.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 25, 2020 12:43 pm 
Washakie wrote:
Because I am very fond of both "the woods" and dogs. I also have a difficult time understanding those who venture out into the more natural, "less regulated" areas of our beautiful world and want to control things. Perhaps there are those who should hike and camp in their back yards.
That's why I don't understand the opposition to putting a Taco Time on Aasgard, why does everyone want to control things, let me make my fortune.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon May 25, 2020 1:34 pm 
Washakie wrote:
What is it about the less regulated woods that makes people think its ok to let their filthy mutt jump on other people?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 25, 2020 1:41 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
That's why I don't understand the opposition to putting a Taco Time on Aasgard, why does everyone want to control things, let me make my fortune.
If there is a Taco Time, then there will soon be a Chipotle within a short distance.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 25, 2020 3:15 pm 
Only if you keep Chipotle on a leash or voice command!

Washakie

Washakie
PostMon May 25, 2020 6:30 pm 
" Why can't we all just get along?"

neek

neek
PostMon May 25, 2020 8:44 pm 
Washakie wrote:
" Why can't we all just get along?"
Because that's when the aliens make their move. When we're all happy and complacent. Zap. You know how it goes.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed May 27, 2020 8:58 am 
Went up Palisades trail yesterday to do some "Guerilla Trail Maintenance" (saw out some downed logs and fix some switchbacks). When I got home I saw this on a couple of other sites:
Quote:
I lost my dog Fia on May 26, 2020 at 10:30 am while hiking on the Palisades trail #1198 in Clearwater Wilderness near Greenwater or Enumclaw, Washington. She is black and white Lab/border collie mix with white feet and white chest. She is very friendly and likes food and people. Please spread the word and look out for her if you are out hiking. Lost her about 2-2.5 miles up the trail. She is microchipped and is wearing a green collar with tags. The blue dot on the map picture below is where I lost her (about 2 miles up from the trail head).
Other than the area confusion (Palisades Tr is no where near Clearwater Wilderness), I felt sorry for her about her dog, then in one of her comments she admitted that her dog was unleashed when he ran away. I'm still scratching my head why someone would take Fido out for a walk in the woods while thinking they don't have to have their dog on a leash especially in areas where there are 1) really BIG cliffs, 2) really big kitties that live off of the carcasses of animals that are smaller than them, and 3) other people around. When I'm out patrolling, I talk to every dog owner and encourage them to leash their dogs up for the dog's own protection. Many do, a few have been disdainful, and even a few dogs have taken offense and been aggressive about it (one of the reasons I carry a shovel when I patrol). Please remind folks you see that while in many places they don't have to leash their dogs, it is a best practice for the safety of the dog.. Gasoline thrown, have at it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 27, 2020 9:52 am 
HikerJohn wrote:
Went up Palisades trail yesterday to do some "Guerilla Trail Maintenance" (saw out some downed logs and fix some switchbacks). When I got home I saw this on a couple of other sites:
Quote:
I lost my dog Fia on May 26, 2020 at 10:30 am while hiking on the Palisades trail #1198 in Clearwater Wilderness near Greenwater or Enumclaw, Washington. She is black and white Lab/border collie mix with white feet and white chest. She is very friendly and likes food and people. Please spread the word and look out for her if you are out hiking. Lost her about 2-2.5 miles up the trail. She is microchipped and is wearing a green collar with tags. The blue dot on the map picture below is where I lost her (about 2 miles up from the trail head).
Other than the area confusion (Palisades Tr is no where near Clearwater Wilderness), I felt sorry for her about her dog, then in one of her comments she admitted that her dog was unleashed when he ran away. I'm still scratching my head why someone would take Fido out for a walk in the woods while thinking they don't have to have their dog on a leash especially in areas where there are 1) really BIG cliffs, 2) really big kitties that live off of the carcasses of animals that are smaller than them, and 3) other people around. When I'm out patrolling, I talk to every dog owner and encourage them to leash their dogs up for the dog's own protection. Many do, a few have been disdainful, and even a few dogs have taken offense and been aggressive about it (one of the reasons I carry a shovel when I patrol). Please remind folks you see that while in many places they don't have to leash their dogs, it is a best practice for the safety of the dog.. Gasoline thrown, have at it.
It all depends on the dog. Not all dogs are created equal. We've taken quite a few unleashed dogs up to the top of Tongue Mtn., where there were no crowds of humans but there is an exposed area. All survived. My Demon Dog is allowed to run about in the woods. I have a taser collar on her to control her urges. 99% of the time it just takes a beep to get her to stop what she's doing. My problem is stupid people who encourage dogs to jump up on them because they are too lazy to bend over to greet the dog. I never knew there were so many of these idiots until I got a smaller dog. They have wrecked my dog training.
The Used Dog snuffling around on top.
The Used Dog snuffling around on top.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities