Forum Index > Gear Talk > Electric Bikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Frango

Frango
PostThu May 21, 2020 9:22 pm 
Thanks for the quick answers. While I知 usually all about buying stuff online, maybe I値l actually wander into a brick and mortar place and try one or two out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 21, 2020 10:03 pm 
Not sure if any local bike shops are offering test rides due to COVID but definitely kick a few tires first. Most of the e-bikes at LBS will be euro-spec (250W) mid drives without throttle that start around $2.5K but you are probably looking at closer to $4K for something with decent spec and battery. That's why rear hub tend to be so popular as they are inexpensive ($1.5K) with more power (750W) and throttle which negates a lot of negatives like weight, but appeal less to a typical bike enthusiast that wants something lighter that rides more like a normal bike. Not sure if RAD is offering test rides either but that would be a logical one to test ride to compare to name brand bikes at LBS. If you have money to spend there are some cottage e-bike makers that I have a lot of respect for. One is Watt Wagons. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. That might be my choice for bikepacking.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 22, 2020 12:04 am 
Frango wrote:
Finally, I don稚 want a box of parts I have to put together. I知 fine with some small amount of building (I知 fluent in Ikea lol), but don稚 want a project - I want ready to go. Any suggestions?
YouTube is full of how to videos. You shouldn't have to do any significant putting together, and bikes are simple machines at heart. You've got this. smile.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri May 22, 2020 8:57 pm 
I didn't realize that Garmins have ebike support built in. I think that's from the 830?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 22, 2020 9:52 pm 
Frango wrote:
Thanks for the quick answers. While I知 usually all about buying stuff online, maybe I値l actually wander into a brick and mortar place and try one or two out.
There is a lot of info on this site: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/ I bought a Rad in 2017. The next year, it was obsolete as they started using a different battery. I guess e-bikes are just like any other electronics. My other bike, the Gazelle has a Bosch motor and the battery and electronics should be easy to fix or replace just about anywhere they sell good e-bikes. Trek seems to be the most common brand sold in bike shops. They use Bosch components too. There are a zillion brands of e-bikes right now. I find it overwhelming. So, I have hydraulic caliper brakes on my bike. Today the rear one started screeching. There is still lots of pad. Can I fix it myself? I don't know if I'm that brave.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat May 23, 2020 5:31 pm 
Anybody know if there's a place in town (Seattle) that rents e- mt bikes ? Friends always want to go out but it's not much fun if I'm e-powered and they're not.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat May 23, 2020 6:52 pm 
Pacific Bike and Ski rents a Turbo Levo for $125 / day. Not going to have the power of your Rad bike though. They are more finesse eMTB. I should start renting out my BH Rebel Lites since nobody seems interested in buying them.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 23, 2020 8:00 pm 
Slim wrote:
Anybody know if there's a place in town (Seattle) that rents e- mt bikes ? Friends always want to go out but it's not much fun if I'm e-powered and they're not.
Montlake. And Ride Bicycles on Roosevelt.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSun May 24, 2020 8:01 am 
Thanks. Those Levos look nice. re:renting out - it wouldn't take long at $100/day to get your investment back. I'll check out Ride in Roosevelt. Looks like Montlake isn't renting bikes at the moment.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 25, 2020 12:46 pm 
It's about as expensive to rent a nonmotorized road bike. I think part of it is safety inspections, labor isn't cheap. Also you can get an eBike pretty cheap but the ones they're renting for $100 a day are nicer rides.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 26, 2020 10:10 am 
I have been reading up on inverters. Need to learn more before getting one. I have a suitcase solar panel that keeps my trailer battery charged so I can run the fridge, water pump, fan and keep things charged up. I thought trying to recharge or top off an E bike would really strain that system but folks are discussing it on the e bike forum. If it is possible to do, it would be excellent when taking the bike and trailer off grid.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 26, 2020 11:07 am 
Briefcase solars put out 100 to 200 watts in full sun in the NW a couple orders of magnitude less wink.gif. It would take a long time to charge an ebike.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 26, 2020 2:01 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Briefcase solars put out 100 to 200 watts in full sun in the NW a couple orders of magnitude less wink.gif. It would take a long time to charge an ebike.
That's what I was thinking. I have a 100 watt panel. I am amazed at how quickly it recharges the trailer battery. I've used it in western Warshington and Oregon and it works on partly sunny days too.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 26, 2020 4:02 pm 
We have one 100 w on the roof of the camper and another 100 w briefcase in parallel they work great. That way we do not have to park in the sun.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We have one 100 w on the roof of the camper and another 100 w briefcase in parallel they work great. That way we do not have to park in the sun.
Yup, and the suitcase ones can be moved easily to keep them in the sun.