Forum Index > Trip Reports > The North Bend Triple
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed May 29, 2013 5:03 pm 
Bunpoh wrote:
Trying to get over my snow-wimpiness to start gaining more summits, and year-round, but don't want to get in over our heads. Thanks for any advice.
If aren't sure if you need the gear, bring it. If you need it, great. If you don't, it's a tiny bit of extra training weight. At least and especially when you're learning. One person's 'easy snow' can feel death defying to the next person. And for whomever asked...don't cut switchbacks or use 'closed' trails ever, not matter what, or risk being accused of living outside the box. Learn the rules so you will know how to break them properly. ~ The Dalai Lama

If not now, when?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bunpoh

Bunpoh
PostWed May 29, 2013 6:14 pm 
I agree, if I had the gear I'd bring it, especially microspikes, but possibly ice axes. We don't currently have either, so I'm asking if I need to go get it in case I'd like to try. Or if we can even afford to go get it, which I'm not sure we can at the moment, and if we don't, bag it until it melts out some. We've been doing great on short bouts of consolidated snow with poles and boots lately. I'd love informed advice about the safety of the route. smile.gif

Hoping to graduate someday from the Slow Ass Hikers of Western Washington to the Minor Mountaineers
Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostThu May 30, 2013 8:35 am 
Thanks for the reply. Who am I to argue with the Lama. wink.gif Bunpoh, I did the route Saturday with my nephew who has very limited hiking experience, but is an atheltic kid. He did not have an axe, poles, or microspikes. I used poles and was happy to have them. Obviously, the variable nature of any trip means you have to assess the safety at the time you are there. You can always turn around at any point if you think that the gear you have is inadequate. Or wait two weeks and the snow should be gone.

Here on this mountaintop...Woahoho...I got some wild, wild life - Talking Heads
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 30, 2013 9:54 am 
Looks like a fun day A few weeks ago Anita did Mailbox, Teneriffe and Si and ran the road in between each trailhead. It was an attempt to do the Issy Alps 100K, which was truncated after Little Si due to snow on the summits. The original plan was to extend the run/hike to include Little Si and then run roads to the Rattlesnake Ledges TH, then hike/run the entire length of Rattlesnake, then across SR 18 to the saddle between Middle and West Tiger, and then to hike/run the all the West Tiger summits to Highpoint. The full 100K route has been done by several people in <24 hours, first time by Scott Jurek, I think. This year, they only did 50K(31mi.)/13,500' verts. Weenies. Here is a TR

Bunpoh

Bunpoh
PostThu May 30, 2013 10:00 am 
Thanks, Goats Know, that helps. Yeah, we'll have to assess safety/conditions when we get there. I phrased that poorly, I should have said I'd like information about the current conditions, rather than safety. smile.gif I've read a lot about Teneriffe, just curious if the part with snow currently is steep/slick enough to warrant additional gear/wait til it melts. Sounds like a no. With all my OT this month, I might be able to get some when I get paid next month at any rate. biggrin.gif

Hoping to graduate someday from the Slow Ass Hikers of Western Washington to the Minor Mountaineers
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostThu May 30, 2013 11:12 am 
insane, totally insane! (nice job wink.gif )

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
A few weeks ago Anita did Mailbox, Teneriffe and Si and ran the road in between each trailhead.
One of my favorite things about living here is that no matter how fast or strong I get, I'm as likely as not to get passed by someone faster and stronger on any given day. People like Anita, SeattleHiker (who's my senior by a few years), and those characters who just blitzed to the top of Rainier in 3.5 hours are inspirational. The Wonderland trail has been done in less than 24 hours, too. Amazing. up.gif

If not now, when?
MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce

MrDobalina907
Lost in the Sauce
PostSun Jun 02, 2013 5:03 pm 
That is quite an accomplishment, well done! Two summers ago a buddy and I did Granite, Mailbox, and Si in one day. Took us a few hours longer than you, 13 total. We did Si as the last hike, and our feet felt like bowling balls on that one. I don't know that I would have been to make it up Teneriffe as the last hike, nice work biggrin.gif Granite
Mailbox
Close to collapse on Si

Somewhere between a spam sandwich and a mountain house
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm 
Ah, seven years ago. Inspiration to work off my Pandemic Paunch and do it again.

If not now, when?