Forum Index > Partners > Wind River Range backpack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gary M

Gary M
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 7:23 pm 
I'm interested in backpacking the Wind River Range, presumably during the late summer or early autumn. I'd like to find at most one or two folks to go with me, to all fit in my vehicle and keep the group manageable. I'm in good shape, but to be age-appropriate you should also be 50+. I'm open as to the route, pace, etc., but I don't want to try anything technical. Plenty of time remains for us to try a couple of day hikes and see it we match well. Please PM me to reply.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostFri Feb 28, 2020 9:59 pm 
The Winds are great! If you don't find anyone, go solo. There'll be plenty of people along the trail. Fremont peak is Wyoming's 3rd highest, and it doesn't take any technical ability to summit. I recommend it. Camp in Indian Basin. Absolutely breathtaking!

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 9:31 am 
last trip there we did the southern trailhead...big sandy...pretty nice but a long approach towards pyramid lake area...next time 200$ each for a horse drop to maes lake would be ideal...(the horse ranch is right near the trailhead) surprisingly not too bad bugs and all melted out toward end of july...or 3rd week ? maybe trying for july16 with a new group...going in on the dream trail of 5m. to photographers point...right near pinedale....way better scenery,and your right next to the spine of the mountains..endless options for the next 6-7 nights....

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:08 pm 
+ 1 on Fremont Peak. An hour or two on the summit on a high visibility day is memorable.

Off trail rambler
mjl

mjl
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 am 
I did a 5 day solo trip 20+ years ago. It was a joy Indian basin is heaven Bad skeeters st night. Had to hunker in tent in the evening & eat after sunset

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostThu Mar 19, 2020 12:43 pm 
50+, F, slow and steady, available (maybe) for July or August, can't do the last week of any month. PM me.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed May 20, 2020 10:06 pm 
Buuuump...mid July still open for anybody? 2 nights car camping or whatevs...hike sat to sat..hopefully 7 nights...all options open I'm over 50 and slow...this will b my 4 th trip there and want to do middle area again.. Camp past photographers point...def.want to stay at upper Jean 3rd night...Island lk.pass lake...Summit lk...out spring creek? Trailhead.. Ideas?..July 15?...even if group splits up is okie..

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed May 20, 2020 10:10 pm 
Still possibly. Is there a plan (ish)?

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu May 21, 2020 7:30 am 
ya ...and we should organize a group hike here for 1 or 2 nights... I have a restored 1990 montero that will haul myself and 3 others.. I'm not sure if the area will b open..don't care.. If we get dropped off..can arrange a pickup from trailhead... So many camp options several lakes just off trail so only a few camps at or near popular areas..plan to do 2 nights at 2 different lakes.. Generally plan is like the fist trip I did...look up wind river range 2010..our group had a great trip!! Total is usually 300$....? So he'll yes let's get out camping here in june..or overnight sooner...would like to hit up a trip to the wallows (only been 1x)...3 or 4 nights..

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri May 29, 2020 2:58 pm 
Looks like the great outdoor gear shop just put out a trail..trailhead report... Lakes r melting in a couple of weeks.... Aparently hiking is going to be open This year..it a rec.area..not a park....