Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostFri May 29, 2020 1:30 pm 
I went up Frog Mountain on Wednesday. I had a little trouble finding the new trail. First you follow the road, and then in the rock field (to your right) just go up a little ways, and find the trail heading into the woods (going the same direction as the road). The trail is great, and had little bits of snow until it ends abruptly at around 3,400 feet. I walked straight up the hill, and -- surprisingly enough -- regained the trail about 500 vertical feet above. I followed that in mixed snow and dirt to the top. On the way down I followed the upper trail farther, but it ended abruptly, a bit farther than the more direct route (straight up). So, at this point (until they can finish the work) I recommend going straight up and down to connect the two parts of the trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostFri May 29, 2020 4:18 pm 
Made the climb of Cadet Peak near the Monte Cristo Townsite on Wednesday. The trail until the waterfall in Glacier Basin was snow-free. After that gear was definitely advised. The climb of Cadet peak was brutal in the snow. Some sections were intensely steep and put my heart in my throat. Though That is why I go and do these things. Here is a youtube video if you want to see what it looks like. Full unlazy trip report on my site. Beautiful day up there, no one else on the peak or in the basin all day.
Waterboy Summit Shot
Waterboy Summit Shot
Summit Register
Summit Register
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
Monte Cristo Valley
Monte Cristo Valley
Lower Glacier Basin
Lower Glacier Basin
Glacier Peak Cadet Summit View
Glacier Peak Cadet Summit View
Cadet Summit Pano South
Cadet Summit Pano South
Cadet Peak West Ridge
Cadet Peak West Ridge

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat May 30, 2020 3:38 pm 
Looks like a sweet view up there @ TheWaterboy. I love Glacier Basin. Never tried Cadet. Had probably 4 unsuccessful attempts at Monte Cristo Peak, finally gave up. I did totally wing it on the approach and climb Wilmans Peak (not the Spires) on my only attempt at it.

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostSat May 30, 2020 3:47 pm 
@olderthanIusedtobe. Monte Cristo is one of the next peaks on my list. I have heard the approach can be quite difficult. Excited to try it out later this summer. The view from Cadet was incredible. A lot of exposure on the approach route due to snow though. Not one I plan on doing again anytime soon. Wilmans looked like a brutal climb from the views I could see of it. If you leave out the spires is it just a scramble?

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 30, 2020 4:14 pm 
Be careful on Wilmans we were up there once in a late snow year heading up Mystery when a large slab let loose on one of the spires setting off an avalanche. Soon afterwards a guy was running down the trail with eyes that looked the size of dinner plates. eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat May 30, 2020 5:42 pm 
Wilmans wasn't bad. The crux was a steep gully (snow covered when I did it) and then working around a bit of a cornice. Once I hit a saddle it was a cake walk up to the summit. I think in general everything around Glacier Basin, earlier in the year is better than later. You want the route to be mostly snow covered, I think the rock is not very high quality. Monte Cristo for sure. It's steep, but I think kicking steps up to the U or V Notch is better than dealing with crap talus/scree.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun May 31, 2020 12:33 pm 
Went day hiking near Mazama Thursday Friday and Saturday. Nothing special. Camped on the Chewuch riverside dispersed car sites. All campgrounds closed. Pleanty of dispersed sites open. Masks and social distancing being practiced throughout the valley.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun May 31, 2020 2:49 pm 
I've been hiking around Moran State Park and finding so much interest if the old growth trails around Mount Pickett. Spent a rainy afternoon yesterday measuring tree circumferences between Cascade Falls and the Mount Pickett trail. The largest doug firs are over 20 feet in circumference and just shy of 7 feet in diameter.

neek

neek
PostSun May 31, 2020 3:48 pm 
Took the little one out to the Sawtooth range in Idaho while my wife had some business to attend to in Boise. Had Imogene Lake to ourselves for 3 days and on the second day got to Lake Lucille on the way to Mt Cramer, but there was too much soft snow to feel comfortable taking the kid all the way up. Endless postholing and overflowing streams on the way back to Hell Roaring Lake, where a million people were coming in for the weekend.
Hell Roaring Lake
Hell Roaring Lake
Finger of Fate
Finger of Fate
Imogene Lake
Imogene Lake
Mt Cramer
Mt Cramer
Imogene Lake outlet - crossing the floating logs was a bit of an adventure
Imogene Lake outlet - crossing the floating logs was a bit of an adventure
One of several small lakes higher up
One of several small lakes higher up
Lucille Lake 8733'
Lucille Lake 8733'
Increased flow
Increased flow
Grouse
Grouse
Storm on the drive back
Storm on the drive back

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 10:02 pm 
Went up Washington (Snoqualmie) 25-30 cars in parking lot everyone was polite and Practicing social distancing. Nice day only us on summit One other couple on rocks just below. Only saw a couple folks on way down.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 03, 2020 6:41 pm 
Drove to the Walt Bailey TH today, the road is in great shape and surprisingly snow free.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 12:48 am 
"Little" McClellan's Butte pt 2298 The object was to start at the "old" McC TH but that looked all locked up either by a sign or a gate so I started at the official trailhead.
The approach was quite peaceful and there was a very nice breeze as I made my way up a trail I didn't quite recognize...
153 (2)
153 (2)
While at the tunnel waterfall I wandered down a bit and found what I thought may have been the old original trail so I followed using some thruhiker skills trying to keep on trail. It wasn't easy but I found the foot old bridge ends, a puncheon and turnpike before heading back up. Ascending the old trail was impossible. I lost it completely in many areas but it was fun seeing how nature reclaims areas.
174 (2)
174 (2)
183 (2)
183 (2)
187 (2)
187 (2)
Back on trail I finally met the road #9020? I turned right and followed until a side trail caught my eye so I followed. Through the forest I could see a clearing so I checked that out. It was beneath powerlines and obviously a target shooting area.
207 (2)
207 (2)
On the way out I saw this...
213 (2)
213 (2)
Sick of the area I retreated down the road to a van parked in front of the decommissioned road I was going to follow to nab point 2296. It was easy to follow yet obviously not a road anymore and was distracted by a sign in the woods. Something about helicopter operations and permission. With the van there and this odd sign I played it safe and pulled the plug on my little dumpster diving venture.
217 (2)
217 (2)
Back to the road, I followed it to the McClellan Butte trail but kept heading down the road towards the unofficial Mount Kent TH.... I kept walking thinking it might be a nice cross bike ride for the future? It was just beautiful walking back to the trail, quiet and that perfect hiking temperature. Descending the trail the mood took a turn, gunfire from above. I quickened my pace. When it started it seemed to echo maybe off Mt Kent? But as I descended the direction of fire changed. The shots from above were returned by me yelling "Hey" "People down here" and silence accept for a stray bullet passed above. I picked up the pace only to hear a louder shotgun. "Hey, people down here" and another bullet ricocheted off a rock. Aside from the serious drama this area has a mystical vibe about it, reminding me of the Appalachian Trail in some ways.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am 
A little jaunt up Stegosaurus Butte. 6-3-2020
Middle Fork Snoqualmie.
Middle Fork Snoqualmie.
Former Middle Fork Giant.
Former Middle Fork Giant.
Second growth canopy.
Second growth canopy.
Mt Garfield.
Mt Garfield.
Preacher.
Preacher.
An ant...!
An ant...!
The Pulpit.
The Pulpit.
Back at the Middle Fork Bridge.
Back at the Middle Fork Bridge.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 4:05 pm 
Poo Poo Point trail from Issaquah Sportsman’s Club, Issaquah has built a series of trails on the west side of Tiger for feet and bikes and we started from the Sportsman Club 100’ trailhead as they are less traveled than the main trails. I believe the Chirco Parking is closed. The trail gently ascends past a burnt out car big tires to travers mixed woods and intersect the High School Trail a short climbs leads to the old Poo Poo Point Trail. The Trail climbs through trees and many stream crossings including one impressive bridge on an ascending traverse. Next the trail climbs a series of steep short switchbacks to the end of the West Tiger Railroad Grade Trail 2000’. The trail traverses and steeply descends to the road behind Poo Poo Point. We were passed by several joggers and descending hikers all social distancing. We arrived at the top table on top and started eating our lunch. There were maybe a dozen people on top Well scattered out. A fellow appeared and tried to sit next to a couple women who showed him off. He then climbed up to us and asked if he could share the table I told him no and directed him to an empty table a few yards away. He said, “oh too close huh“. We finished and headed down past a dozen or so groups getting off the trail each time with our masks on. About 60% were wearing masks. About 1/3 mi from trailhead two large women without masks passed Lynda and loudly said, “we don’t have masks so we won’t talk”. Seemed rather rude huh.gif

Hutch

Hutch
PostSat Jun 06, 2020 8:45 am 
Went up Dickerman yesterday. First snowbridge is on the verge of melting through, folks were downclimbing on the rocks rather than risk it. Bootpath follows the spring/gully route, which I had never done before. It's ... direct, with some slippery side hilling in some spots. Traction devices and poles recommended at the very least, I was happy I thought to grab an ice axe. Tried to find the summer trail on the way back via GPS but it doesn't look like many folks have been going that way yet. Views on top as stunning as always, only one other person on the summit on a Friday afternoon. Snow is certainly sloppy, early starts are your friend.