Forum Index > Gear Talk > Packable fishing rod/gear recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bwiro

Bwiro
PostMon May 25, 2020 8:50 pm 
I take two telescoping rods (6’ - 6.5’) with lightweight reels (pflueger president size 25), spooled with 4lb braid. Over the years I have used Shakespear, Eagle Claw, Sougayilang and Goture rods. I keep one set up for lures and the second for bait. I prefer telescoping rods for quick and easy deployment. If I’m expecting to fish streams I’ll take a Tenkara rod, but like the flexibility and greater casting distance of spinning rods in lakes.

Avid backcountry fisherman.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostMon May 25, 2020 10:32 pm 
I do prefer fly fishing but will take spinning gear if I'm not familiar with the lake shore, don't take the raft, or the area has a reputation for wind. I hate to get somewhere that is brushy without room for a back cast without catching trees behind me. When I first reinvested in spinning gear, Sooperfly had to show me how to attach the line to the spool without all the line turning on the spool when I hooked a large fish. I hadn't used a spinning rod since I was a kid. Yes I did feel a bit dumb but have gotten the hang of spin fishing again since then. As far as packing the rods, I have no trouble just putting them tight to the side of the outside of the pack (I have an Osprey) in the side pouches and tightening down other straps to hold them close. I just keep the fly rod in the cloth bag and the spinning rod in the plastic zip bag (duct tape not included). Cases weigh too much.The fly rod is a 9' 4 piece and the spinning rod much shorter. I have caught many large (over 20") fish on the spinning outfit I use. The rod is a cheapo Diawa "Spinmaster" 5' long. I'm actually surprised it has held up as well as it has. I think it was $29.99. Brian, if you haven't gotten a reel yet, I have had no problem with the Pflueger President model for 2-6 lb. line. I think I paid about $50 for it. It has performed well after Soops showed me how the heck to load up the 4# Fireline on it. I haven't figured out how they justify the price of reels these days. Steve has used a telescoping rod forever and has no problem with it too. That's my 2 cents worth. Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue May 26, 2020 5:55 am 
Leafguy wrote:
Brian, if you haven't gotten a reel yet, I have had no problem with the Pflueger President model for 2-6 lb. line.
Thanks for the tip! That reel weighs 6.2 oz, so it was just over my 6 oz cutoff when I was comparing reels. I ended up ordering a Quantum Drive DR05 which is 5.4 oz. and $40. I haven't received it yet. I use my spinning reel right on a fly rod. So if you want to shave some ounces off your pack weight leaving the spinning rod home is a possible option.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostTue May 26, 2020 8:25 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Thanks for the tip! That reel weighs 6.2 oz, so it was just over my 6 oz cutoff when I was comparing reels. I ended up ordering a Quantum Drive DR05 which is 5.4 oz. and $40. I haven't received it yet.I use my spinning reel right on a fly rod. So if you want to shave some ounces off your pack weight leaving the spinning rod home is a possible option.
Wow. Awesome price for a quality reel. I'll have to try the spinning reel on the fly rod. I'd probably catch trees just like I do with my backcasts flyfishing. It is kind of fun playing fish on the 5' rod though. But as fat as I keep getting any weight saved ii the pack is good!

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue May 26, 2020 9:38 pm 
To be sure, spin fishing with a fly rod takes some getting used to but I've been doing it for a very long time and I won't go back to a spinning rod. The reel isn't between the fingers of your casting hand so I normally cast two handed which sounds worse then it really is.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri May 29, 2020 6:11 pm 
When I am fishing high alpine lakes, I fly fish for sport and spin-cast for dinner. I'm done with carrying a rod on the outside of my pack for several obvious reasons, so my rod choice must pack inside of my big packs and my day pack. The rods I am currently using are below - and I am quite happy with both and don't have any plans to change either out any time soon. My Entsport spinning rod $36 My Cabelas 6-piece fly rod (I got mine on sale for about $110) Happy Fishing!!

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat May 30, 2020 11:27 am 
Downhill, that link is to a casting rod, not a spinning rod. Do you use the casting rod, and if so, what kind of reel do you use? Or do you have a spinning rod version?

Gil

Gil
PostSun May 31, 2020 6:04 pm 
I've used a Shakespeare Excursion telescoping rod and reel with 2-pound test line for years. About 13 inches collapsed and about 54 inches long in use. I've had a lot of fun with that.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 6:41 am 
If your hitting the off trail lakes make sure you go with one that goes inside your pack

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 2:02 pm 
timberghost wrote:
If your hitting the off trail lakes make sure you go with one that goes inside your pack
You mean you go off trail sometimes? 🤫

Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 9:31 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Downhill, that link is to a casting rod, not a spinning rod. Do you use the casting rod, and if so, what kind of reel do you use? Or do you have a spinning rod version?
Yes Brian you are correct, I have the spinning version of that rod. My apologies, I was careless when I posted. I use a Diawa UL7 Graphite Ultralight spinning real. It's tiny, weighs next to nothing, performs great and has held up to a lot of crunch-time in my pack.