Forum Index > Trip Reports > Greider Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostSat May 30, 2020 3:15 pm 
After my summit of Cadet Peak (Near Monte Cristo) this week my legs were worn out. But, I still wanted to take advantage of the last Sun for the next few days. So, I chose to try out Greider Lakes. The water over the first couple of miles of trail wasn't too high. However, I read on WTA that one of the streams required removing your shoes. Not sure if the logs are new or not, but I never had to do that.
Second Creek Ford
Second Creek Ford
First Creek Ford
First Creek Ford
The worst part of the day was climbing up the hill that leads to the lakes. There is a lot of blowdowns right now. They significantly slowed my progress more than once
Trail Blowdowns
Trail Blowdowns
Both Upper and lower Greider lakes were free of snow. There was one or two inconsequential patches. No need for any gear though.
Upper Greider Lake
Upper Greider Lake
Lower Greider Lake
Lower Greider Lake
There was a sign at the registration point that said camping by the two lakes reopens on June 15th. However, it was written in sharpie so I am not sure how reliable that assessment is. Greider Lakes Trail at Hike2Hike.com

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
carlb328

carlb328
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 5:58 am 
I used to do that hike a lot years ago. How much road walking do you have to do to get to the trailhead?

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike

TheWaterboy
Hike-2-Hike
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:33 am 
The "road" part was about 2 miles to the old trailhead. It was my first time hiking it so not sure what it used to be like. But, the first portion feels pretty wild. Not much in the way of road left. All feels like trail these days.

[Mountains] are the cathedrals where I practice my religion - Anatoli Boukreev Hike2Hike.com, because we all just live from Hike to Hike.