Forum Index > Trip Reports > Milton Mountain lookout site (May 28, 2020)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat May 30, 2020 3:58 pm 
When I first noticed this rather vague trail on the way to Gardner Meadows in August 1996 I wondered where it went, and a bit of research revealed that there had been a lookout on Milton Mountain from 1933 until 1951. I tucked that tidbit away in hopes of venturing up to the site sometime.
Wolf Creek trail (left), Milton Mountain trail right
Wolf Creek trail (left), Milton Mountain trail right
Prompted by the informative trip report by wildernessed about his trip in June 2017, the time was perfect this past Wednesday in late May, since in the Okanogan/ Wenatchee Forest the trailheads are officially opened, the forecast was favorable, and it isn't too hot yet. Rather than lug overnight gear up the ridge, I opted to truck camp at the Wolf Creek Trailhead and do it as a dayhike. Starting at a bit after 5 a.m., the first few miles in the relatively easy valley bottom went quickly in the cool of the morning. Look for the abandoned unmarked trail to Milton Mountain about 1 mile west of North Fork Wolf Creek. It is about 100 yards past the end of a wide slope of log-strewn, flowery gray scree (shale) that slopes straight down to the howling Wolf Creek.
the scree slope
the scree slope
masses of penstemon
masses of penstemon
the trail junction
the trail junction
Wolf Creek in full flow
Wolf Creek in full flow
The trail wastes no time in switchbacking steeply through forest and quickly you will find yourself in lovely open meadowy slopes, splendidly green in early season. Many species of flowers were in full bloom.
good tread
good tread
human effort
human effort
The trail, although not maintained except for an occasional fallen tree sawn by horse packers, is actually pretty easy to follow as it heads west then northwest, west again and finally north.
like a park!
like a park!
so pleasant
so pleasant
getting more barren where fully exposed to south
getting more barren where fully exposed to south
arrowleaf balsamroot still in bloom (Balsamorhiza sagittata)
arrowleaf balsamroot still in bloom (Balsamorhiza sagittata)
lomatium ( Lomatium triternatum)
lomatium ( Lomatium triternatum)
Silvercrown (Cacaliopsis nardosmia)
Silvercrown (Cacaliopsis nardosmia)
Silvercrown 'forest'. The seed mass will be silvery, hence the name rather than 'goldencrown'.
Silvercrown 'forest'. The seed mass will be silvery, hence the name rather than 'goldencrown'.
paintbrush
paintbrush
bigleaf sandwort (Moehringia macrophylla)
bigleaf sandwort (Moehringia macrophylla)
balsamroot and lomatium
balsamroot and lomatium
Stay a good spell south of the ridge crest below Pt.4879 to avoid unnecessary rambling. Near Pt. 5247 there are many cut trees evidently from fire suppression efforts a few decades ago. West of there find a good way through a brief span of tightly spaced evergreen saplings. I found a reasonable passage on the north (climbers right) side. There is one other similar stand of saplings west of Pt. 6079. From there I followed the old trail, quite distinct in most places, but due to many downed trees across it and punchy snow, on my descent I stayed to the south side of the ridge for easier travel. The old telephone wire, now on the ground, for the lookout is evident in many places. In fact I accidentally tripped on it once or twice!
the "tripwire"  (old phone wire)
the "tripwire" (old phone wire)
Lewisia rediviva (thanks Mike for proper ID)
Lewisia rediviva (thanks Mike for proper ID)
Milton in distance
Milton in distance
getting closer
getting closer
easy going, great view! Try to avoid going through the jungle of tightly-spaced saplings (light green) in middle distance... is the only schwacking on the route, but largely avoidable by outflanking on either side.
easy going, great view! Try to avoid going through the jungle of tightly-spaced saplings (light green) in middle distance... is the only schwacking on the route, but largely avoidable by outflanking on either side.
old burn
old burn
many easy step-overs.
many easy step-overs.
the sharp point isn't the lookout site....it appears as the highest rounded rock knob in this view.
the sharp point isn't the lookout site....it appears as the highest rounded rock knob in this view.
Once atop the east ridge the route turns north toward the summit of Milton Mountain (7152').
nearing the last stretch
nearing the last stretch
ballhead waterleaf ( Hydrophyllum capitatum var. thompsonii)
ballhead waterleaf ( Hydrophyllum capitatum var. thompsonii)
looking back where I came from just before the false summit
looking back where I came from just before the false summit
looking back to false summit 100 yards south of lookout site
looking back to false summit 100 yards south of lookout site
insulator was in that subsummit
insulator was in that subsummit
Unlike the messy site on Midnight Mountain, visited about this time in 2019, there is little evidence of the former lookout except the usual rusty nails, bits of melted glass, metallic odds and ends, as well as a rusty shovel without handle.The lookout was an L-4 perched on 18' poles, and it was sold for $1 in 1951, dismantled and packed out. I wonder where it ended up?
fossil shovel
fossil shovel
The views are wonderful of many of the peaks and valleys in the Twisp River area and the Methow/Chewuch valleys. Eastward I could also see the snow-covered but unspectacular high mountains I hiked up last fall, also to visit former lookout sites: [url=https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8030617&highlight=old+baldy ]Old Baldy and Granite[/url].
Old Baldy (l) and Granite
Old Baldy (l) and Granite
s.e. from Milton summit. The highest point in the distance is Lookout Mountain, with a standing lookout.
s.e. from Milton summit. The highest point in the distance is Lookout Mountain, with a standing lookout.
view toward Twisp. Route follows most of the center ridge to near the round forested bump then down right to Wolf Creek trail
view toward Twisp. Route follows most of the center ridge to near the round forested bump then down right to Wolf Creek trail
Winthrop and Sun Mountain Lodge in the haze
Winthrop and Sun Mountain Lodge in the haze
Midnight Mtn lookout site (dead center), Oval Peak (14 miles away)
Midnight Mtn lookout site (dead center), Oval Peak (14 miles away)
Gardner
Gardner
Storey Peak
Storey Peak
"it's been a rough life!" :dizzy:
"it's been a rough life!" dizzy.gif
As several images show, on my hike there was plenty of snow on this last section, affording water for comfortable camping and refilling for at least another month this year. Otherwise the ridge is virtually dry after you leave North Fork of Wolf Creek. Fortunately there were no flies or mosquitoes even in the Wolf Creek valley.
the mighty Wolf
the mighty Wolf
This hike took me almost exactly twelve hours r.t. at a leisurely pace with many breaks. I am embarrassedly nonquantitative on my hikes these days for a scientist, but I think it is around 19 or 20 miles round trip and has probably about 5k of climb. Would be more stressful on a hot day!
rare picture of a wild brushbuffalo
rare picture of a wild brushbuffalo
map from Wildernessed' TR, showing pretty much the same route I used except I didn't explore up the North Fork
map from Wildernessed' TR, showing pretty much the same route I used except I didn't explore up the North Fork

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat May 30, 2020 9:43 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Lewisia tweedyi
Lewisia tweedyi
Are your sure this isn't Lewisia rediviva, bitterroot?

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSat May 30, 2020 10:56 pm 
You're right, Mike. Thanks for the proper identification. I hadn't even looked this one up, just relying on faulty recollection. I will change the caption.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSat May 30, 2020 11:05 pm 
Great read! Always enjoyable and informative, BB.

John_B

John_B
PostSun May 31, 2020 8:29 am 
Thanks BB. I've wondered about that trail for a while.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun May 31, 2020 9:01 am 
BB great report and pictures. I never met a lookout site I didn't like. It's great to go to the sites and imagine what was. Glad you had a good day! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
jdk610

jdk610
PostSun May 31, 2020 8:27 pm 
Missed you by a day! I was up Wolf Creek Thurs/Fri smile.gif

loper

loper
PostSun May 31, 2020 9:14 pm 
Thank you for the TR! I am headed that way soon and was wondering how TH and the snow levels are up there!

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSun May 31, 2020 9:32 pm 
I can't speak for Gardner Meadow but along the ridge to Milton there was no snow until about 5500'. The snow along the final ridge from 6600' to 7100' was fairly continuous but on the day I was there, not a real hot one, I could easily walk without sinking in more than a few inches.

Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 2:28 pm 
Thank you for sharing the names of the plant life, something that I'm admittedtly ignorant of. I enjoy seeing and hopefully learning about the things I see so often yet have no knowledge. Good eyes for spotting the alleged radio repeater!