Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Planning on visiting the Methow Valley or North Cascades?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pianodirt

pianodirt
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 1:02 pm 
This is on a very personal note. If you're planning to recreate in the North Cascades or the Methow Valley, please bring your masks and hand sanitation stuff. You can't buy either here as there are no supplies. If you get sick with COVID-19, the nearest hospital that will treat you is 2 hours away in Wenatchee. Lots of people want to come here and recreate. It's a beautiful place. Just please do so responsibly. The community here is split on the response to the pandemic. Since this area is a largely tourist-driven economy, many businesses are struck with economic fear and remain open. Many locals are happy these businesses are open and many are angry that these businesses are open. Some are angry that some businesses are closed. I estimate about 30% of the people I see when in town are wearing masks. I think it's a false sense of security to think that our sparse population will make it so "it won't happen to us". Two weekends ago was Memorial Day Weekend. For a stay-at-home order in place, there were a LOT of additional people in the valley. Most of which were not wearing masks nor observing social distancing. If you come here to go hiking, I recommend assessing the parking lot before starting out. If there's a lot of vehicles there, then perhaps find a less popular hike. In any case, please consider wearing a mask while hiking. Hikers in Europe are doing so. Yes, it's hot and uncomfortable, but so is knowing you were a vector in contributing to someone dying from COVID. My point is, if you're coming from the city, out here it can feel like a big free world, that you can relax a bit from the intense regiments of dealing with a pandemic in an urban area. You can relax here a little bit more. There is more space. But it can also lead to a false sense of security when entering stores or hiking on the trails. Also, for those of you who plan to visit here and are already mask-wearers, please keep it up! Come here and show the locals that, as a visitor to this beautiful place, you care about the place you are visiting. This means as much if not more than your dollars you spend here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 1:54 pm 
Good advice, and thanks for the reminder. I love the area and hope you're all doing as well as possible through this.

pianodirt

pianodirt
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 2:29 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Good advice, and thanks for the reminder. I love the area and hope you're all doing as well as possible through this.
Thanks. Yes, in general, people seem to be doing ok. They are no longer testing for the virus in the valley (Wenatchee is the nearest test location) so the actual numbers are a mystery.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 7:16 pm 
Omak would be closer and I have not heard that they have stopped testing here. But, it is true that patients needing hospitalization are shipped to Wenatchee from this part of Okanogan County also.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jun 09, 2020 1:51 am 
pianodirt wrote:
This is on a very personal note. If you're planning to recreate in the North Cascades or the Methow Valley, please bring your masks and hand sanitation stuff. You can't buy either here as there are no supplies. If you get sick with COVID-19, the nearest hospital that will treat you is 2 hours away in Wenatchee. Lots of people want to come here and recreate. It's a beautiful place. Just please do so responsibly. The community here is split on the response to the pandemic. Since this area is a largely tourist-driven economy, many businesses are struck with economic fear and remain open. Many locals are happy these businesses are open and many are angry that these businesses are open. Some are angry that some businesses are closed. I estimate about 30% of the people I see when in town are wearing masks. I think it's a false sense of security to think that our sparse population will make it so "it won't happen to us". Two weekends ago was Memorial Day Weekend. For a stay-at-home order in place, there were a LOT of additional people in the valley. Most of which were not wearing masks nor observing social distancing. If you come here to go hiking, I recommend assessing the parking lot before starting out. If there's a lot of vehicles there, then perhaps find a less popular hike. In any case, please consider wearing a mask while hiking. Hikers in Europe are doing so. Yes, it's hot and uncomfortable, but so is knowing you were a vector in contributing to someone dying from COVID. My point is, if you're coming from the city, out here it can feel like a big free world, that you can relax a bit from the intense regiments of dealing with a pandemic in an urban area. You can relax here a little bit more. There is more space. But it can also lead to a false sense of security when entering stores or hiking on the trails. Also, for those of you who plan to visit here and are already mask-wearers, please keep it up! Come here and show the locals that, as a visitor to this beautiful place, you care about the place you are visiting. This means as much if not more than your dollars you spend here.
Great advice. Especially up on those high peaks. When do you think we can start hiking or visiting without masks?

none
Arginine

Arginine
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 11:42 am 
According to WA DOH you can do that anytime. https://medium.com/wadepthealth/cloth-face-coverings-6f083b366fab

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jun 10, 2020 2:10 pm 
from the link you posted: "DO cover your face with a couple layers of cloth while in public places." "DO take a cloth face covering with you if you are hiking or visiting a park. Although you do not need to wear one outside, you may find that you need to come within 6 feet of someone else on a trail. At that point, put your cloth face covering on, say hello, and carry on." "DON’T wear a cloth face covering while exercising outdoors. It’s not dangerous, just annoying and not necessary." So basically, use common sense. Wear a mask when you around any other people besides your family for prolonged periods of time, particularly if you are in an enclosed space. This applies to Winthrop, Seattle, and everywhere else in Washington. And regarding when you can stop wearing the mask? When there is a vaccine (1 to 5 years to never).

Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 pm 
Be careful. Methow Valley deer/moose/elk have tested positive.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie