Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bedal 31 May 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 8:09 am 
Lately, when weather forecast for the weekend is rainy and stormy, I was often choosing to go to the more weather protected areas, like the east slopes/Teanaway where even on a stormy day it is often a mix of rain and sun and there are still views. But instead this time I decided to go right into the storm, north east and close to home – Bedal peak. I was a bit hesitant, because reading on the route on wta and summitpost it was suggested that the route up Bedal peak is not easy, but finally decided to try it anyway and turn back if it gets scary. I’m so happy I decided to go. The forest is so amazing there! Not open dry east slopes forest, but really dark and wet forest. I love it so much! Not rocky, but lots of moss and needles. There are many really huge trees, it appears that this pocket of the forest was not destroyed by logging. Many creeks and waterfalls across, many flowers and mushrooms. It was raining heavily and the everything was such a deep green color and very wet, I immediately became completely drenched and it felt more like being a salmon swimming upstream, than hiking. The standard Merrybrook route is a really good trail and well marked. I lost it only a few times when it was blocked by blowdowns, but eventually always found it again. I wouldn’t say Bedal is a scramble, at least for me and Cookie it felt like a hike and quite easy at that. Downclimbing to the ledge (quite wide and safe) and crossing to the snowfields was very easy too. There was about an inch of fresh wet snow on the ground, but by now it turned to freezing rain and beautiful ice was covering the trees. On the snowfields in the clouds it was complete white out and I couldn’t see anything more than a couple of feet away from me. So I just looked at the map on my gps and basically went up. It was almost never too steep and since I couldn’t see anything, I would also not see if there was any exposure on my way or not. It felt easy, so probably not 😊 Ice axe, crampons, microspikes, snowshoes all stayed in the pack. When do you use snowshoes in Spring? I feel silly constantly bringing them but not putting them on lately. Around 5500 feet we crossed fresh tracks that confused me and Cookie. Who dis?
Summit had amazing views of absolutely nothing. Me and Cookie enjoyed more freezing rain and wind, Cookie had a snack and we went back. Starting at 9am and arriving back to the car by 3pm it really felt like more of a half day hike, but it was nice anyway. Obviously, just as I got into car the sun started teasing, appearing through breaks in clouds.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 8:39 am 
kitya wrote:
Good one. Five toes puts us in Mustelidae, after ruling out bear (pad too small) and raccoon (wrong shape, wrong place). It seems wolverine might be the only possibility, but it must have been running rather than walking because the forelegs make an impression when walking. Do you recall whether the animal was headed up, down, or traversing? My best guess: a wolverine running up a slope.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 9:00 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Good one. Five toes puts us in Mustelidae, after ruling out bear (pad too small) and raccoon (wrong shape, wrong place). It seems wolverine might be the only possibility, but it must have been running rather than walking because the forelegs make an impression when walking. Do you recall whether the animal was headed up, down, or traversing? My best guess: a wolverine running up a slope.
Thank you! It is really hard for me to tell the direction of the animal in this case, because this was on the snowfield in a white out and I couldn't see anything far. I also initially thought bear, but they don't look like bear prints I have seen before, too small pad and also usually bears have very obvious front and back paws prints that are different. From the part I have seen it appears animal was going up and across the slope, but not straight up. I have never seen a wolverine but i also never seen prints like this, so maybe this is it smile.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 9:50 am 
Sculpin wrote:
My best guess: a wolverine running up a slope.
I second that opinion. Absolutely no bear, cat, or canine. Cool!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 12:53 pm 
Wow! Those prints are larger than I would have envisioned for a wolverine. Obviously, I've never seen one. With hearing how ferocious they can be, then it makes much more sense as to why they can fend off much larger creatures (bears, moose, etc). Also, I LOVE all the pictures of Cookie!!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 1:40 pm 
Thank you for id everyone! I wish i ever saw a real wolverine in the wild, but seeing footprints makes me pretty happy too and I cannot complain. I think their whole family is ferocious. Me and Cookie saw weasels a few times in the wild and they are cute, but crazy ferocious too.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 2:08 pm 
kitya wrote:
This photo reminded me a bit of Joel Sartore's work on endangered species. I've seen some photographed against an all white backdrop, too. It makes for stunning pictures. https://www.nationalgeographic.org/projects/photo-ark/explore/

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm 
All I have to say is: you will want to go back & see Sloan from Bedal! Nice TR cool.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 2:38 pm 
kitya wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif Very Cool! Definitely Wolverine.
Cascade Carnivore Project & Cascade Wolverine Project would be interested in the coordinates

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 2:56 pm 
Kascadia wrote:
This photo reminded me a bit of Joel Sartore's work on endangered species. I've seen some photographed against an all white backdrop, too. It makes for stunning pictures. https://www.nationalgeographic.org/projects/photo-ark/explore/
I have seen these smile.gif They are great. It was certainly not my intention to get all white background, but sometimes nature decides for us smile.gif
Snowdog wrote:
All I have to say is: you will want to go back & see Sloan from Bedal!
I have never yet returned to the same mountain twice, but I really liked Bedal, so I might as well some day smile.gif Maybe weather will be different next time! I have seen Sloan from Slodal a few weeks ago and it was also very nice. Are there any bad views of Sloan? smile.gif
Bootpathguy wrote:
Very Cool! Definitely Wolverine.
Wow! You have such a great collection already. Only first time seeing these footprints for me. i'll submit my observation.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 8:31 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
This is the typical print of a wolverine walking. The foreleg essentially functions as a snowshoe if the paw sinks into soft snow, just like on snowshoe hares. The snow in Kitya's image looks soft enough for a foreleg imprint, but it is not there so the animal was most likely front-pointing as it ran. Although probably not from Kitya because wolverine don't give a sh##. I have read that a rule of thumb is that wolverine habitat is delineated by the presence of snow in May. Interesting that these prints were found in late May on snow. Of course you could still see one crossing Highway 2 to get from one area of habitat to another. Wolverines may be approaching the carrying capacity of Washington state. We don't have a lot of territory with snow in May compared to, say, Montana, especially in the central Cascades. Male wolverines do not tolerate rivals, and they have huge ranges. Wolverines have never been and will never be common. Sorry about the thread drift Kitya!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 8:59 am 
Kitya, how exciting for you to see the wolverine tracks on Bedal.
Sculpin wrote:
Sorry about the thread drift Kitya!
Continuing on the drift to wolverines, of course they have a reputation for being fierce, even ferocious, with verified accounts of driving a grizzly off a kill in order to move in themselves. In contrast, when we visited Northwest Trek once there was a wolverine that was as playful and adorable as a kitten in the hands ( and on the shoulders, etc.) of the keeper. That completely changed my view that wolverines are ALWAYS aggressive, ALWAYS angry. But... if the handler had passed the creature over to me, would I be walking around today with two hands or even two arms? Or walking around, period? Like many of you, I would LOVE to see a wolverine in the wild. I have seen grizzlies (3), cougars (2), but never even wolverine tracks.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 11:14 am 
kitya wrote:
But instead this time I decided to go right into the storm, north east and close to home – Bedal peak.
An impressive choice with an impressive payoff. up.gif
kitya wrote:
There are many really huge trees, it appears that this pocket of the forest was not destroyed by logging.
So true! The areas on the Mtn. Loop, but outside Boulder River Wilderness, are the largest area(s) of big timber that I am aware of that's not locked up in the designated wilderness. That's why I take my school groups of kids that way. And now I can tell them that we are hiking in wolverine habitat too!