Forum Index > Trip Reports > An Enchanting Day of Peace and Beauty 6/1/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 2:32 pm 
Like many others, I like to spend time in the wilderness to keep a healthy and balanced perspective on life. After a fairly miserable weekend of bad weather and worrisome events, I was looking forward to spending some quality time in the mountains. Lingering clouds made me think about going east, so I recruited Hiking Partner for a reconnaissance mission up to Lake Caroline. The last time he had been there was when he was a teenager, and it would be a first for me. To make a long story short, we did make it all the way to the lake, roundtrip 10.8 miles, elevation gain 3,063 feet, but it was still frozen. The snow surrounding the lake was four to six feet deep, so we couldn’t actually get down to the shore and take pictures. It didn’t matter though, because the views from a little knoll we climbed up were spectacular! The climb up through a recent burn from Eightmile Trail was hot and miserable, but our pain was eased by abundant lupine, paintbrush and many other wildflowers, and sublime views of the Enchantments.
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
About two thirds of the way up, we had to climb over or under about ten fairly challenging blowdowns in the burn area.
6/1/20
6/1/20
As we approached the ridgetop at 5700 feet, we passed through a lovely grassy meadow area, with spectacular views all around.
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20.
6/1/20.
6/1/20.
6/1/20.
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
Then the real fun began when the trail disappeared in deep snow. Fortunately, we were able to find our way to the lake with the GPS. Here we found very deep snow making it too difficult to go down to the lake, but the views over towards Mt. Cashmere and Windy Pass more than made up for it!
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
We basked in the sun for a while, but a chilly wind came up, so we regretfully headed back down the trail. The late afternoon light created beautiful shadows on the surrounding peaks and the moon began to rise, creating a magical feeling.
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
While going through the burn area, we spotted a handsome male grouse perched on a big snag. He didn’t seem afraid of me while I quietly took some pictures. It was a very special experience.
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
6/1/20
We took full advantage of the long hours of daylight and were able to hike all the way out at 9:30 pm without using our headlamps. smile.gif For dinner, we set Hiking Partner’s old Coleman Stove up on the truck tailgate and heated up water for some delicious Pad Thai Ramen and Backpacker’s Shepherd Pie, the frosting on the cake for a perfect day in the mountains!
6/1/20
6/1/20

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 4:12 pm 
Nice! Thanks for the beautiful scenery. Needed now.

When I grow up I wanna play.
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 4:24 pm 
What a gorgeous day!!! Sure is pretty up there, I'm glad you got to get out and experience that. Awesome... up.gif up.gif

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 5:44 pm 
Beautiful! Why is that part of Washington so far from me...
Nancyann wrote:
For dinner, we set Hiking Partner’s old Coleman Stove up on the truck tailgate
6/1/20
6/1/20
Oh no, has "Coleman" gone generic, like Kleenex? That stove is a Primus! lol.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 6:08 pm 
Thanks for the correction, Bosterson, I’ll have to check on that. All I know is that he has had that stove for his entire adult life and it still works just fine! Thanks Brushwork and Aaron, my intention was to share some of that beautiful day with all those who would appreciate it! smile.gif

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Jun 03, 2020 6:47 am 
Nancyann wrote:
It didn’t matter though, because the views from a little knoll we climbed up were spectacular!
Even at it's best, Lake Caroline is meh. For a day hike, the knoll on the ridgetop is the destination. Supreme views that can be reached snow free in (late) June, rather hard to find!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir